PDA

View Full Version : Loon's new 'Shark Tooth' tippet cutter

Bill Kiene semi-retired
12-28-2009, 10:16 PM
http://www.loonoutdoors.com/products/sharktooth.html

A good friend Bill Forward from Grayeagle says these things are really great so I got some in stock.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
01-01-2010, 12:16 PM
Our staff is buying them.............that's the "acid test" for me.

michaeln
01-03-2010, 04:30 AM
Our staff is buying them.............that's the "acid test" for me.

Hmmmm.

I carry tippet spools from 1x to 6x. I would need one of these five dollar cutters for each spool. That's a lot of money for something I already have covered with the standard elastic bands that come on the tippet spools and a nipper, which I need anyway.

Doesn't seem a great value to me.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
01-03-2010, 09:24 AM
You have a valid point there.

It is so new that I am not sure how it will work for those using lots of different tippet sizes daily yet.

**I think we are going to be using them for the main size tippet we are using that day like for large mouth bass, stripers or steelhead. This is where we have mostly one size for that day's conditions.

michaeln
01-03-2010, 09:31 AM
I think we are going to be using them for the main size tippet we are using that day like for large mouth bass, stripers or steelhead. This is where we have mostly one size for that day's conditions.

But again, you need to carry nippers for general use, and you are already going to have the elastic band on the tippet spool, so why blow five bucks on this gimmick?

If they cost $1.00, I could see it. But five bucks for this thing?

Fats
01-03-2010, 10:30 AM
I could see using one on a steelhead tippet... or in a float tube when I'm fishing for bass. I don't see one of these going for all my trout tippet spools. I could see myself trying on of these to see if it was useful... sometimes it's a pain to be messing with a spool of tippet and then having to fish around for your nippers to cut it off the spool. By the time I'm trimming a knot, the spool is stowed and I'm better able to use the nippers to trim the knot.

I guess, my take on it is this... I won't have to worry about you buying the last one from Kiene's before I get there! ;)

speyfool
01-03-2010, 10:44 AM
My nippers hang off my waders for easy accessibility. Even if I used one of these things on a tippet spool, I'd still need my nippers to get rid of the tag end after tying a knot. Or to simply snip off a fly.

This looks like one of those ideas that seems great on the outside. And maybe it would save you a second or two of time. But that is about it. Unless of course you hide your nippers in a pocket or in some other out of the way place.

However, over the course of a day, it may save 20-30 seconds. :D

wjorg
01-03-2010, 07:17 PM
These things cut 30# braid like butter. There are different size elastics for different spools(weenie flyfishing, 300 yard, saltwater). Flyfishingxstream makes them. Check out their flyfish fantasy lodge too....

How many of you use your teeth instead of nippers....? "saving 20-30 seconds". Ha! These save my teeth. My buddy just broke a tooth on mono. Who has time to reach for nippers when you break off over a pack of chrome fish....

Craig Nielsen
01-04-2010, 12:05 AM
I've used the new Shark Tooth for a few months now and it is awesome! AND I only have one which I have attached to the bottom spool of my nested spools and use it to nip the tippet for all the attached spools. This makes it a very handy widget that I have found justifies the modest price, not to mention the savings on my dentist bills ;>)

speyfool
01-04-2010, 10:27 AM
I must be in the minority. I've never used my teeth. Nippers are always within easy reach. :D

michaeln
01-04-2010, 11:42 AM
I must be in the minority. I've never used my teeth. Nippers are always within easy reach. :D

Me too. I have four pair of nippers in various places.

Anne Vitale
01-04-2010, 04:09 PM
I see that Criag Nielson already responded to this thread but I'll chime in anyway. I fished with him last Saturday and he showed me his new "widget", I think he called it, so I got to see it in action. I'm not sure if I will get one (for all the reasons stated above) but for a guide who is repeatedly changing tippets after broken off snags and fixing multi-fly tangles and doing it over and over again, day in and day out, while rowing a boat, it looked mighty helpful.

Another concern I would have is the durability of the elastic band. It looked a little sturdier then the not-so-durable ones that come with the spools but that would remain to be seen.

Anne

Bill Kiene semi-retired
01-04-2010, 10:10 PM
I guess people have to see it in action to understand how handy it is?

All I know is one of the thriftiest people I know bought one after seeing it demoed.

I was too shown about it from a guide, Bill Forward.

wjorg
01-05-2010, 02:14 AM
4 pairs of $5-$7 nippers is $20-$28 bucks.

"The problem with selling to flyfisherman is they are all willing to spend $700 on a $38 rod but piss and moan over the cost of the under $15 items."

-A Fly Shop Owner/Proprietor. (Not Bill...)

michaeln
01-05-2010, 12:46 PM
4 pairs of $5-$7 nippers is $20-$28 bucks.

Not if 3 pair were free. 3 of the ones I have came free with other stuff.

speyfool
01-05-2010, 11:19 PM
Not if 3 pair were free. 3 of the ones I have came free with other stuff.

Same here. Even if you have to buy em, you can get almost the same thing from a drug store for less than a buck. More money for fly tying material.

Terry Thomas
01-07-2010, 09:29 AM
Received 8 in yesterday and sold all of them by the end of the day. I guess some people like them?

michaeln
01-07-2010, 12:26 PM
Received 8 in yesterday and sold all of them by the end of the day. I guess some people like them?

P.T. Barnum lives!

Rick J
01-07-2010, 12:59 PM
they make great sense for maxima spools that do not have the elastic tippet tamer - I have ordered a few of them

Fats
01-07-2010, 06:51 PM
they make great sense for maxima spools that do not have the elastic tippet tamer - I have ordered a few of them

True... the rubber band thing get's old about mid spool!

wjorg
01-11-2010, 01:38 PM
The ones for 300 yards spools will be the cat's meow for all you fellow REAL cheap bums who really spend the money wisely.

Boo small flyfishing tippet spools!

Mike O
01-11-2010, 01:59 PM
I bought something called a Bink from a fly shop bargain bin a few years back. Don't remember who made it. It is the same gadget, but pins to your vest. Really nothing more than a razorblade encased in plastic, like a letter opener or wrappnig paper cutter. I like the one I have, but wouldn't spend 5 bucks for one, much less more than one of those. Wouldn't fit in my tippet spool pocket.