PDA

View Full Version : video laptop viewing

john
12-28-2009, 06:29 PM
OK, I'm a computer illiterate-we'll get that out of the way right off. So, my daughter gets a new laptop and I inherit the 3 year old one, a Dell. Anyway here I am with Jay's Baja video, the "Drift" and a couple of others. When I put one in it wants me to download something or other, for cash $. I'm reluctant to do so. Help, please. john

Jay Murakoshi
12-29-2009, 09:23 AM
John

Are you saying that when you insert a DVD into the player, something comes up and asks for cash. I would have to say that you should be able to disable the window..
I'm not the sharpest pencil in the cup when it comes to computers, but I always thought when you inserted a DVD disk that it would either place an icon on the desk top or start the DVD automatically. It does on my MacBook pro and iMac.

I have an old Dell sitting on the floor that still works but I need to have the OS disk reinstalled to work. I'll try inserting a disk in the drive and let you know what happens

Jay

Darian
12-29-2009, 10:32 AM
Hi John,.... It would help in trying to figure out what your computer is telling you if you would write down what is written in the dialogue box that appears when you insert the DVD.... :nod:

shawn kempkes
12-29-2009, 10:43 AM
OK, I'm a computer illiterate-we'll get that out of the way right off. So, my daughter gets a new laptop and I inherit the 3 year old one, a Dell. Anyway here I am with Jay's Baja video, the "Drift" and a couple of others. When I put one in it wants me to download something or other, for cash $. I'm reluctant to do so. Help, please. john

run your spyware software you could have picked up a trojan that is telling you to download something.

john
12-29-2009, 11:13 AM
I should have more specific. So, I put the DVD in and it asks me where to play it. I click Windows Media Center. Then the media center pops up but it tells me it can't play b/c "...a compatible DVD decoder is not installed." So I go looking and downloads, which I'm afraid of, all want $.(one said send $1550 to Jay-kidding) Thanx for trying to help

Darian
12-29-2009, 01:51 PM
Short of checking the computer myself, kinda sounds like your computer isn't running a DVD drive.... Or, if it does have a DVD drive, the drivers aren't current.... :confused: Probably gonna cost ya' to upgrade.... :|

Jay Murakoshi
12-29-2009, 03:58 PM
John,

Yeah baby, send me $1,550 and I will put you in the REAL baja then you can forget about the DVD. Once there, all you need to down load is the alarm clock :-)

Jay

john
12-29-2009, 05:02 PM
Jay:You'll be hearing from me in about 2 weeks. Good news on the DVD front. I said to hell with trepidation, downloaded some sort of a Windows decoder check, and then a magic decoder from Deskshare--all free. BINGO I'm watching Joan R catching all manner of Baja species. Then after a 6 month search, I found a reasonably priced used 9' 3wt XP. With a 2wt line, the ultimate dry fly rig. I was good today, and Life is good again.