PDA

View Full Version : Spey line set up

djwattswatts
12-22-2009, 06:29 PM
Hi everyone am looking at getting a 8 WT 13ft Spey rod and wanted to know what line i need to get am just looking for something basic.

I need a shooting head and a running line right for the basic ?

BigOkieWhiteBoy916
12-22-2009, 06:45 PM
Well it really depends on the rod. Different rods work well with different lines. As far as a type of line goes a lot of people start with a Skagit Taper. IMO they are a bit easier to cast then a long belly line.

speyfool
12-22-2009, 06:52 PM
Hi everyone am looking at getting a 8 WT 13ft Spey rod and wanted to know what line i need to get am just looking for something basic.

I need a shooting head and a running line right for the basic ?

What rod are you looking at? Generally two handed rods have grain windows printed on them. That is your starting point. Then you need to decide what kind of flies and or tips you'll be casting. That will narrow down what kind of line you need.

It can be confusing when you are starting out, but it makes sense after a while.

I think for your first line, you should look at Compact Scandi lines (Airflo). The shorter length and taper makes for easier casting, imo.

Max.garth
02-07-2010, 09:51 AM
I have always thought that the "Spey" fraternity should start thinking about dividing the "Spey" label up into its realistic parts. Like talk about Scandi for Scandi rods and systems, Skagit for Skagit rods and systems and Spey for its particular rods and casting style.
These are three different rods tapers and lengths, three different casting styles and line systems designed basically for different fishing practises.
Spey is about using long lines on slow taper rods to cast those long lines across fast flowing rivers.
It was specifically designed for Welsh Rivers in the late 1880's and pinched by the Scots for fishing the Spey River in Scotland. Originally called the Welsh Throw.
MaxG