PDA

View Full Version : Lahontan Cutthroat Trout at CA Acad. of Sciences SF

Ned Morris
12-22-2009, 03:38 PM
Made my first trip to Steinhart Aquarium in nearly 8 years today with my 2 year old. Was surprised to see they had a tank with Lahontan Cutthroat Trout. A couple you could almost mistake for Paiutes, really cool looking. If in San Francisco I would recommend checking it out. Oh and there are a lot more cool things to see other than LCT in a tank.

Scott V
12-22-2009, 04:22 PM
Was the cuttie hitting dries or subsurface flies??

David Lee
12-22-2009, 06:21 PM
Steinhart Aquarium still has fish ?

I made my first trip to Steinhart around 1973 ( 8 years old)) - they had the largest number of different species on the West coast at the time . The many visits I made thru the 70's and 80's had a huge effect on turning me into a 'fish-nut' .

My last trip was in the late 1990's (1998 ??) - most (well over 75%) of the live fish specimens were gone , replaced by interactive computer displays and dioramas that had nothing to do w/ Wildlife . I had made the trip w/ my ex-girlfriend and her family , and I was close to tears when I saw the 'aquarium' with no fish ! I think even the Reptile house was gone ......

D.~

Mrs.Finsallaround
12-22-2009, 06:31 PM
I went a couple of years ago (2007, I think)... They have some pretty awesome specimen. My favorite has to be the GIANT Sea Bass, OMG :eek:... I can't even begin to guess how much that fish weighs. He's got to be 4-5 ft long with the girth of a couple of basketballs.... HUGE.

Ned Morris
12-22-2009, 07:13 PM
Steinhart Aquarium still has fish ?

I made my first trip to Steinhart around 1973 ( 8 years old)) - they had the largest number of different species on the West coast at the time . The many visits I made thru the 70's and 80's had a huge effect on turning me into a 'fish-nut' .

My last trip was in the late 1990's (1998 ??) - most (well over 75%) of the live fish specimens were gone , replaced by interactive computer displays and dioramas that had nothing to do w/ Wildlife . I had made the trip w/ my ex-girlfriend and her family , and I was close to tears when I saw the 'aquarium' with no fish ! I think even the Reptile house was gone ......

D.~

It is way better than it used to be David and I would venture enough to say it is nearly as good as Monterey Bay Aquarium. It also has a enclosed Rain Forest (Reall Cool)and a Penguin tank. I was impressed. The only thing that was dissapointed was the Alligator tank. About 1/5 the size it used to be with only one Albino Alligator. Not what I remembered as a kid but still cool. Expensive at $25 but still cheaper than Monterey Bay. I would check it out when in the city.

Paul B.
12-22-2009, 07:44 PM
Thank you for posting T.D. I had no idea that it was restored this well. I'll have to pack up a grandson or two head out there. Paul

David Lee
12-22-2009, 07:59 PM
It is way better than it used to be David and I would venture enough to say it is nearly as good as Monterey Bay Aquarium. It also has a enclosed Rain Forest (Reall Cool)and a Penguin tank. I was impressed. The only thing that was dissapointed was the Alligator tank. About 1/5 the size it used to be with only one Albino Alligator. Not what I remembered as a kid but still cool. Expensive at $25 but still cheaper than Monterey Bay. I would check it out when in the city.

Good to hear they fixed it !!

You cannot imagine my horror when I saw it in the 90's .... total heartbreak .

D.~