PDA

View Full Version : King's River Fishery-latest video

Jay Murakoshi
12-20-2009, 09:01 AM
Here's the latest version on the KR fishery. The alevens have all hatched and now starting to grow. I will now take all the footage that you've seen plus more and make a full blown DVD for educational material. There is one more batch of eggs coming in Feb. I hope to video tape the construction of the small plastic vibert boxes, releasing some of the fingerlings to catching an adult.

Most of the video footage was shot with the GoPro Hero surf camera at 1080p HD and edited with Final Cut Pro 7 and Compressor

http://vimeo.com/8287707

Hope you enjoy the video

Jay

jerry from sac
12-20-2009, 09:47 AM
Jay,
Really enjoyed your video. Keep them comming.
-
- jerry

jim p
12-20-2009, 10:43 AM
Jay, Thanks for all that you and the rest of the partners involved in the restoration project are doing.

Met a guy FFing behind Avocado the other day. He was from Redding and had no idea that some of the river structure was rebuilt/hauled in or that there was even a river like that just outside of Fresno.

Jim P

Jay Murakoshi
12-20-2009, 10:57 AM
Jim,

I was also amazed that all those big boulders were placed in the river. Below the dam, there are a lot of big rocks. There was a "brood" stock plant yesterday. F&G is planning a 2 month stretch where they will plant 1,000 of fish between 5 to 7lbs each week throughout the river. I watched and filmed on Friday. Some fish were placed in different areas throughout the C&R/barbless area and they rest in the put & take waters. It was amazing to watch the people as we released these fish into the water right in front of there eyes.
I have never seen so many rooster tails, mepps and power bait hit the water at once. A few of the big ones were caught but I'm sure by this morning they're all gone. They also planted the standard size trout on Friday.
I know it's sickening too watch this people rip the fish but that's what this program is for. Hopefully to generate more funds in fishing licenses.

Jay

jim p
12-20-2009, 11:28 AM
Put and take is fine and that is what the program is for. On occasion I hit the put and take area. Each person definitely has their own definition of sporting though and that's cool too.

I just wish there was more enforcement to ensure that people are licensed and using the legal methods for the section of river they are fishing.

It is my understanding that during road construction on State highways the labor and equipment hours for the CHP officers sitting at the site are paid by the contractor as part of the traffic control/safety program. In the same manner, I wonder if there is a program wherein the public can "sponsor" warden(s) for a particular area? Particularly during the weekends and holidays. It wouldn't take long to right some of the fishing violations that take place along the river there.

Now if there could be pressure put on the visitors that leave their trash to pick up after themselves. We used call people that left their trash lazy slobs.

That river could be something else all together. It is on it's way thanks to guys like you.:thumbsup:

Jay Murakoshi
12-20-2009, 01:35 PM
Jim,

From what I understand, there was a fund raiser that happened a couple weeks ago to raise money for wardens patrol. This money is suppose to be divided by the KRCD and distributed to pay wardens for patrolling the river. Also, I understand there are a couple of Fresno County sheriffs who often check the C&R section for both license and barbless hooks.
There was talk this past Friday within the group of volunteers who helped plant fish throughout the river of having a river cleanup day. No date has been set.

Most of the people I saw on Friday had a license. It was funny, as the hatchery truck pulled up a lot of people exposed the fishing license from under there jackets.

Jay

jim p
12-20-2009, 01:56 PM
Interesting on the patrols. I carry one of those trash grabbers in my truck. Whenever my wife and I run down there we usually grab a bag of refuse. Let me know when the cleanup is, I would like to participate.

For the most part, the folks who use the river are good people. It's just that the few bad apples do an inordinate amount of damage for their numbers.

briansII
12-21-2009, 12:16 PM
Nice video Jay. Very cool and worthy projects.

Does the new HD Go Pros fit in the same housing as the old cameras?

As far as the big fish go, I have mixed feelings. It's fun to catch the big fish, but honestly, it's not much of a challenge. Winter is usually the quiet time on the river, but now it's crowded. It borders on combat fishing in some of the C&R sections. I'm curious to know where the extra funds generated from this project go. Sure would be nice if they could hire more wardens. :-)

briansII

Jay Murakoshi
12-21-2009, 12:37 PM
BriansII

No, the new GoPro has it's own case because the camera is larger due to the rechargeable battery on the camera.

From what I understand, it's divided and given to the wardens for patrolling but I'll get more information regarding the funding. Unless someone out there knows more about the King's River project... I'm just doing a video

Jay

briansII
12-21-2009, 05:43 PM
BriansII

No, the new GoPro has it's own case because the camera is larger due to the rechargeable battery on the camera.

From what I understand, it's divided and given to the wardens for patrolling but I'll get more information regarding the funding. Unless someone out there knows more about the King's River project... I'm just doing a video

Jay

Thanks for the Go Pro info............I guess I should upgrade, but I just bought the now outdated model. :-)

I wasn't clear about the "extra funds". What I meant was, I wonder what the DFG is doing with the "extra" revenue generated by the additional license sales from the trophy trout program. I realize there probably isn't answer to that, as I doubt there's anyway to track such things. Just would be nice if they could hire more wardens. ;-)

It's my understanding, and I could be wrong, but........... I think the funds raised for extra enforcement will go directly to paying a warden(s?)to patrol on the weekends, when they would normally not be patrolling. This should have a big impact during the most needed time of year. The same was done last year, and I saw a warden MUCH more than I normally do. Kudos to whoever came up with the idea, and got the DFG to agree to it.

briansII

thepeacockspecial
04-26-2010, 05:55 PM
I love this river so much. I saw a glimpse of this video I think, awhile back, or it may have just been pictures.. but man. i miss this river. My parents live down there too.. kinda..Thanks for the video Jay. It made me love the lk even more. We just have to take action and do our part to prevent "evil doers" from performing their actions in the special section.