PDA

View Full Version : Poll: What Are Your Reel Sound Preferences?

Hairstacker
12-19-2009, 10:22 AM
Ok, we haven't had a poll in a while, they're always kind of fun, and I don't recall us doing this one, and even if we did, that's ok.

In the "Steelhead/Salmon" section of this board in the "San Lorenzo on Wednesday" thread, Bill Kiene recalled many years ago hearing "old Hardy ratchet reels screaming in the dark before sunrise" just up from the mouth on this river. Don't know about you but that would sound like music to my ears. But I know not everyone likes a reel that does that....

So, do you like a totally silent reel? Or quiet reeling in, with a scream when lines goes out? Etc.

I think I prefer a soft click when reeling but I like it to be noisy when line's going out. I do know I don't really care for reels that are totally quiet in either direction. What about you?

Rick J
12-19-2009, 10:41 AM
I think I would vote for the CFO - one of the sweetest reels ever made!!!! The original Systems were also great and of course there is the Perfect!!!

jburge
12-19-2009, 10:43 AM
A sweet little click when I'm reeling in, and a screamer when it's fish on! Love that sound ;-)

John

David Lee
12-19-2009, 10:44 AM
If I had the choice ?

Silent incoming , kinda quiet outgoing . The old Hardy reels are a bit much , as you can clearly hear when someone is bit from a distance !

I used a little Stutz Estuary on my 6 wt. in Baja (3 3/8 inch diameter) , when I hooked a JC that was MUCH too big for that outfit - that reel sounded like it was going to blow-up (as you can imagine .... it wasn't designed for THOSE kind of RPM's ....) . Interesting and slightly frightening to hear one whine like that , it sounded a little like a Mosquito on crack .....

I use several TFO reels that were designed by Terry Hayden . The only thing that I don't like about 'em is the silent outgoing and the mechanical-ratchet-buzz when I reel in . Since those reels are totally bulletproof .... I can live with the sound/lack of sound where I want it .

At the end of the day , that's all I really need - something that won't fail under real world conditions .

David

Hairstacker
12-19-2009, 10:47 AM
I think I would vote for the CFO - one of the sweetest reels ever made!!!! The original Systems were also great and of course there is the Perfect!!!

I hear you Rick -- I happen to think click-and-pawl reels have the sweetest sounds of all. :)

mikel
12-19-2009, 10:57 AM
I don't much care about the sound reeling in so quiet is ok....but screaming going out is the bomb! Especially with a bright steelhead or a trout measured in pounds (not inches) on the run downstream. yeehah!

trinity
12-19-2009, 11:06 AM
My favorite reel is an old Perfect, and it gets my blood running fast when it screams. I wouldn't want it any other way, gotta be loud:)

Hairstacker
12-19-2009, 11:15 AM
My favorite reel is an old Perfect, and it gets my blood running fast when it screams. I wouldn't want it any other way, gotta be loud:)

Ok, maybe I'm weird, but I tend to drool when I look at those Hardy Perfects -- classic looks, the Agate line guide, the sound . . . . If I ever hit the lottery, I hope to acquire a box-load of 'em. [-o<

On another note, some believe the loud sound helps them sense and keep track of the tempo of the fight . . . there, a practical reason besides turning heads. :D

jbird
12-19-2009, 02:03 PM
Light click in, thunder going out ;) I know a lot of guides like a loud reel so they know what the clients fish is doing. With that said, I dont have many loud reels. Definitly not a top priority when purchasing. Its important but takes a back seet to drag, line capacity, weight and price.

Fats
12-19-2009, 02:39 PM

Yep... CFO's and Hardy reels are the heart and soul of the sport. No sweeter music is known to my ears that a beautifully made click and pawl having line taken out.

pgw
12-19-2009, 02:56 PM
...the first Ross Reels, the R Series, quiet in/quiet out.

When I fished (& guided) in Alaska, you could be fishing a deserted section of the Brooks, American, or Copper River and as soon as a fisherman who was using a Hardy or a click & pawl reel set the hook on a rainbow or sockeye, the sound of the reel was like a dinner bell and the bears would poke their heads out of the grass and alders on the river's edge and start looking for an easy fish to grab because it was attached to the fisherman. More than a couple of times I had to say to a client, "Ok, the bear is going after your fish, let him have it, point the rod at the fish and pull straight back to break the leader."

My Ross R-2 or R-3.5 never "chummed" up a bruin...they just stayed hidden and scared the $%^*()(*%$ out of me when I'd go overland to cut accross bends in the river to get from run to run.

Paul

Rich Leonetti
12-19-2009, 05:00 PM
To me the only sound better than the reel burning off line....is the sound of the fish doing a belly flop right after he jumped!!!

Hairstacker
12-19-2009, 05:05 PM
Paul, ok, if I ever make it up to Alaska, I'll remember to choose "deathly quiet reeling in and absolutely silent when line goes out" and lubricate very well with silicone to make sure there are no friction-type noises whatsoever.... Thanks for the heads-up. :paranoid: :lol:

Fats
12-19-2009, 07:04 PM
...the first Ross Reels, the R Series, quiet in/quiet out.

When I fished (& guided) in Alaska, you could be fishing a deserted section of the Brooks, American, or Copper River and as soon as a fisherman who was using a Hardy or a click & pawl reel set the hook on a rainbow or sockeye, the sound of the reel was like a dinner bell and the bears would poke their heads out of the grass and alders on the river's edge and start looking for an easy fish to grab because it was attached to the fisherman. More than a couple of times I had to say to a client, "Ok, the bear is going after your fish, let him have it, point the rod at the fish and pull straight back to break the leader."

My Ross R-2 or R-3.5 never "chummed" up a bruin...they just stayed hidden and scared the $%^*()(*%$ out of me when I'd go overland to cut accross bends in the river to get from run to run.

Paul

Dang Bears....

Wing Blue
12-19-2009, 09:03 PM
Good poll .... makes a lurker wanna play.
When I hook a fish on a disc drag reel, it's half the battle, but when you hook a fish on a spring and pawl fly reel ....the FUN has just BEGUN!

HAPPY HOLIDAYS ALL!!!