PDA

View Full Version : Alvin

jwholmesjr
12-16-2009, 11:30 AM
Do any of you fly-tying studs out there have some good, easy alvin patterns for this spring???
I know that the little fish grow to be big fish so that the pattern sorta changes as the egg sacs are asorbed so maybe a coupla different ideas???

David Lee
12-16-2009, 11:36 AM
Ken Hanley's furled Alevin

A glass-bead one from Denny-???? , designed for the big Sacramento

Mike Mercer's Sack-Fry , in the flyshop catalog

For a perfect little Salmon , try a proper Surf Candy (#6-#2) . I have used these on Spring-run Steelhead and they work great !

Good luck !

D.~

Jeff C.
12-16-2009, 12:46 PM
I'll second that on the Surf Candy. I caught this blue back this past April on a size 10 Surf Candy while trying for shad.

k.hanley
12-16-2009, 03:56 PM
David thanks for the mention.

Say hey jw..........
Here's a link to Philip Rowley's site with step-by-step instructions for my alevin. Enjoy!
http://www.flycraftangling.com/index.asp?p=136
Cheers, Ken

Lee Haskin
12-18-2009, 10:28 AM
The Foxxy Griz Minnow was developed for immitating a bait, in the Yucatan that has a colored throat, similar to an Alvin, and some people have been using this pattern for stripers, in the local rivers.

This pattern is very easy to tie and can be scaled down to a small size, and colored, to match the young alvins.

Kenny's pattern is great for immitating very small, very young alvins.

However, I have found that a slightly larger pattern, works well in many situations, causing it to stand out a bit from the tiny naturals.

The key is to use a dubbed body, and add a small tuft of orange craft fur, and then continue the white or cream dubbing in front of the colored throat, for a couple of wraps.

Let me know if you would like an instruction/illustration sheet.

Cheers,
Lee