PDA

View Full Version : Lower Yuba clarity

Kurt P
12-15-2009, 07:00 PM
It's about a 2 hour drive for me to fish the lower Yuba. I am hoping to head up there soon and am wondering if the recent rain would have muddied the water too much. I see that the Deer Creek flow bumped up to 460 cfs on the 13th...would that have been enough to cause grief on the Yuba?
If it's too muddy to fish now, I'd rather not make the drive.
Thanks,
Kurt

peterkoistinen
12-15-2009, 08:55 PM
I was there today.

It's clear.

I caught fish on a tan san juan worm and a small (18-20) CDC sparkle dun.

Have fun

Kurt P
12-15-2009, 09:59 PM
Peter, good to hear it's clear. And thanks for the tips about the flies. Very generous of you. Love the sparkle dun. I've yet to catch a fish with the San Juan, but I'll be sure to give it another go when I get up there.
Kurt

DFrink
12-16-2009, 07:57 AM
I haven't used the San Juan before, 2010 will have to be the year!

Kurt P
12-20-2009, 02:04 PM
I went upstream of the HWY 20 bridge on Thursday. Tried swinging, indicator nymphing (including the San Juan) and some searching dry fly action. I MAY have had a bump swinging, but that was it.
It got pretty crowded by mid day (11 cars under the bridge when I quit at mid-afternoon) and I heard of 3 fish caught. The weather was beautiful so the mayfly hatch wasn't great, but still saw quite a few bugs for about an hour. No rising fish where I was.
I get skunked so often on the Yuba that I wasn't really very disappointed and it was such a nice day and I got to meet/chat with several nice fishermen that I'd have to consider the day a success (A streamside Coors Light and cigar always helps).
Oh, yeah. The water was nice and clear, with an easily wadable flow.
Those few times I hook one of those nice Yuba 'bows will keep me coming back.
Kurt

jigger
12-20-2009, 05:03 PM
Hey Kurt, I was one of the small army there that day. I'd drifted the yuba once below the bridge, but that was my first time above. I walked up around the bend and fished a nice run. Then continued up and could not find an unoccupied spot until I'd gone around the next bend past a long frog water where I had to cross again and take a run that a couple of guys just fished. Opened up a bit on the way back. I was very lucky to get a couple of hookups, landing one fish that showed signs of being caught before. Beautiful clean river, I completely enjoyed exploring, but that was a bit crowded.

Kurt P
12-21-2009, 09:50 PM
Jigger, congratulations on your hook ups. Strong work for the Yuba.

If that's your first jaunt upstream of the bridge, be sure to check the flows before you go again. That last crossing you took across the upper stretch of the long frog water gets pretty dicey to wade at flows over 900-1000cfs. It should be no problem for the next few months.

Here's the link for the flow:
http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?s=YRS

Good fishing,
Kurt