PDA

View Full Version : Gotcha two-tones

Bjorn
12-14-2009, 10:43 PM
I am incapable of tying two of the same fly... I am finding that out. I was just sitting here tying up some Gotcha's, making some slight variations, and I'm wondering if this is even a good idea or if this is a bad idea. Love to hear thoughts on if this is a path I should go down or not.

Bjorn

David Lee
12-15-2009, 12:35 AM
Bjorn -

They look good to me ! I would tye them just a little bit differently for my personal taste , though ...

- Epoxy the bodies .

- Wing a bit longer .

I think they will fish fine the way they are .

David

bcarson4374
12-15-2009, 07:08 AM
Color variations arent a bad Idea you never know what fish will be keying on... One thing I WOULD be very concerned about is it looks like you use heavy dumbbell eye. Those type of eyes usually make a fly hit the water and an accelerated speed and with a big splash. Big splash usually means big sound, and big sound means scared fish, at least if you are fishing flats, if you are fishing deeper water not so much of an issue...

Other than that, looks good.

Mr T
12-15-2009, 08:31 AM
I'm the same way when I tie, but do yourself a favor and tie two of each pattern. The day will come when one of those variations is THE fly, and you can bet you will lose it!

David Lee
12-15-2009, 08:35 AM
I'm the same way when I tie, but do yourself a favor and tie two of each pattern. The day will come when one of those variations is THE fly, and you can bet you will lose it!

I tye all of mine in three's ....

Great minds , eh ??

D.~

Bjorn
12-15-2009, 10:01 AM
I tied THESE with dumbell eyes... I've been mixing up the eyes from dumbell to chain to mono... different weights for differnt depths. #2's, #4's and #6's. I'll need a caddy just for my fly boxes at this rate. Silly, really.

Someone on the blog recommended tying six of each pattern you tie, every time you tie... and I've been trying that, but I seem to change all the bits I haven't set out in advance. I'm an ADD fly tyer.

Thanks for the advice.

B-

Darian
12-15-2009, 11:05 AM
I'm in the tying a number of flies of the same pattern (say 6) at one time school of thought. The variation in one pattern that I would make while tying is size. Tie half at one size, the other half at a larger or smaller size, etc. Change or vary patterns and repeat. 8-)

I haven't had a lot of experience at Bonefishing so am not familiar with fly loss rates. I do believe (like Mr T) that with one fly of particular pattern it will be lost to snags or fish and you might be out of the game after that. :confused: