PDA

View Full Version : Weighing Fish - Guestimates?

Tony Buzolich
12-08-2009, 12:28 PM
I'm seeing an awful lot of fish weights getting posted that seem a bit high for what I'm looking at when a picture is posted.

How many of you guys actually weigh your fish? Kept or released doesn't make any difference, but how many of you actually take a scale, a boga-grip, a Chatillion, spring loaded, digital, or whatever and truely weigh your catch?

I'm not picking on any one fish or fisherman, steelhead, striped bass, or trout, but when I read posts that say some one caught something of some size and it doesn't go along with what's happening or even pictured, the post starts to loose credibility.

I think it would be wiser to carry a tape or a measure and give the real size of the fish if you can't accurately post a realistic weight.

I know, I know, we all get excited about catching a nice fish of ANY kind and it's easy to jump a pound or two rather than simply say you caught a really good one.

It really doesn't matter how big something is if you're prowd of it. It may be your biggest fish of the day, or ever, and you're entitled to brag a little but try and be real about it.

I guess I've been in the house too long and need to get out on the water because I'm just rambling about nothing of significance.:)

Damn it's cold out there,
TONY

Mike O
12-08-2009, 12:56 PM
Doesn't matter what it weighs. It always grows in the retelling. Part of being a fisherman...or listening to a fisherman.

Hairstacker
12-08-2009, 01:00 PM
Ok, since you asked. . . .

Any time you see me post a length measurement, it is because I've actually measured the fish with a small tape measure I always carry.

On the very rare occasions I post a weight measurement, it is because I've actually weighed the fish on a digital scale I always carry.

Darian
12-08-2009, 05:31 PM
Actually, I don't have any interest in length/weight measures other than for perspective and conversation. Of course, there's always the BS session after the catch (at the bar :^o ). I can see that it probably does matter to many others but unless there's a written log or record involved,.... :-|

I haven't taken a photo of any fish other than what was caught while fishing in Baja. While down there, I've relied on my eyeballs and the estimate of our panga captain.... 8-)

Tony,.... I agree, Damn!!!! It's c-c-c-c-cold..... :nod: Brrrrrrrrr....

Jay
12-08-2009, 05:55 PM
I weigh bass. I measure trout with a tape, or against my rod.

GreggH
12-08-2009, 05:58 PM
Tony, guess the weight of this fish. BTW- gut hooked fish while halibut fishing, pesto, garlic bread ect.

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb236/greggh_fish/DSC00882.jpg

Ralph
12-08-2009, 07:05 PM
Go to http://www.flyline.com/tips_trivia/flyfishing_tips/ and copy the length/girth chart. It works very well for trout and stripers. The formula is length (inches) x girth x girth/800. The result is poundage. Feel free to reprint the chart in club newsletter or whatever.

I'm working on my holiday poundage, but it has nothing to do with fish, unless I'm eating them.

bigfly
12-08-2009, 08:46 PM
I finally had a bionic bicep installed, pricey, but makes weighing in a lot easier. In the spring I might market a fish stretcher to improve some folks chances at a keeper. I never measure against my rod, it wouldn't be fair to the fish. Now if I can just get warm! -15 deg. here Happy Holidays!
PS. Nice striper Greg! 28lbs?

Reno Flytyer
12-08-2009, 10:28 PM
It is rare that I will measure a fish, and when I do, it's on the apron of my 'toon and on my lap. Most of the time it's like watching a monkey mount a football...the fish, horsed in and full of spunk will usually make a mess of my coiled line, so I don't measure many. I have fished a private reservoir for years, know it well, and generally catch a lot of fish there. It's not much of a surprise anymore that the other members have caught and landed fish that are at least 4" longer and anywhere from 3 to 7 pounds heavier than anything I've ever caught...at least that's their claim. OK, you've caught a nice fish, but com'on man, get a clue. You're right on the mark Tony...there are some wild exagerations being made out there.
RFT

EricW
12-09-2009, 12:23 AM
Had the net and scale out at Pyramid couple seasons ago to get a gauge on it. Surprising how many of the big fish don't break 5 there. Very happy with a 2-3 on the river.

Scott V
12-09-2009, 08:40 AM
If I am in my float tube I will measure a fish due to the fact there is a painted ruler on the stripping basket where I lay the fish to unhook it. As for weight I was never able to guess correctly so I just do not attempt to.

michaeln
12-09-2009, 10:42 AM
I try to not even take fish out of the water if I can avoid it. I never weigh them or measure them (or kill them).

Mike O
12-09-2009, 10:54 AM
replacement net bag by Measure Net

Dabalone
12-09-2009, 11:01 AM
Even though I always have digital scales in the boat I just don't like hanging a big fish from his head to get his weight, using guidelines a quick measurement of the length can get you close on weight. Generally I think most of the time pics make fish look smaller than they really are but because of angle, distance etc. it can be either way.

I am guessing Greggs fish at 14 pounds.

bigfly
12-09-2009, 11:33 AM
I'm with Michaeln, leave them in the water. When I use my net, marks are on the handle.
Used a Boga to calibrate my arm, but fish just don't look happy dangling in space.
Had a big guy pick me up by my head once, uncomfortable at least.
Luckily, he was a catch and release kinda guy.

tallguy
12-09-2009, 12:19 PM
I find the following conversion scale helpful to accurately estimate fish sizes, mostly trout, but works for all species...

<12" = "about a pound"
12" = "1 pound"
14" = "2 pounds"
15" = "3 pounds"
17" = "5 pounds"
19" = "7-8 pounds"
20" = "10 pounds"
22" = "12-15 pounds"
24"+ = "F#@+in enormous, everyone buys me beer. Pick any large number you want for poundage."

As for style, that matters too.. Estimate on the high side for fish caught with dries, and low for ones landed with nymphs. Add 1 pound if caught on the swing with a wet fly, 2 pounds if caught nymphing without using any sort of indicator besides your "fish spider sense", and an extra pound if caught on a fly smaller than size 20, or on tippet lighter than 5X, or on a fly you tied yourself, or on a long cast. Landed one on a streamer? Start at the 17" scale, and work up from there. Catching the fish in sight of another angler adds a pound, and in sight of a good friend adds three. Didn't land it? Ignore any numbers less than 8 pounds..

You are now certified for all potential fish poundage estimations you might encounter when angling.

Darian
12-09-2009, 12:34 PM
I'm with tallguy. 8) His formula works for me. Altho, the weight part of it needs a bit of enhancement for saltwater fish.... :unibrow: :unibrow:

Hairstacker
12-09-2009, 12:46 PM
tallguy, outstanding! :)

tallguy
12-09-2009, 01:14 PM
As for the striper, based on the size of the mouth, that is certainly less than 20 lbs. The 14 guess is pretty good, but I might go a couple pounds higher and go with a 16-17 lb pound?

Photos can be highly decieving though, both high and low, so I am sure we all will be surprised when the real number comes out.

Reno Flytyer
12-09-2009, 03:37 PM
I was guesstimating 16-17 as well. Nice fish for sure...don't need creative photography to see that!
RFT

bigfly
12-09-2009, 04:11 PM
It was very late last night when I looked at that fish.......
Might be closer to the higher teens.
How long?

jumpshooter
12-09-2009, 05:54 PM
Man this is funny.

That fish was 48" long. Now tell me that fish's weight was in the teens. Come on guys.

Frank Alessio
12-09-2009, 07:36 PM
What was the Girth?

briansII
12-09-2009, 09:27 PM
Didn't we already play this game, with that same fish?

Just saying. Seems like i've seen this played out once before.

briansII

tallguy
12-09-2009, 09:46 PM
a legit 48" huh.. Must be schwarzenegger in disguise holding that fish like then.. biceps of steel.

I have actually landed (not my fish, I dragged it out of the river for a friend) a striper within an inch or two of 48" in the merrimack river in NH, and I am positive I could never, ever, hold it like that. I had both fists on the lower lip holding it vertically up near my chest, and that took an all out effort. Big enough that you could easily put two side by side fists into the mouth.

Pretty fish, but I have no idea on weight.

Darian
12-09-2009, 09:46 PM
Yep!!! But we didn't have tallguy's formula before.... :unibrow: :unibrow:

GreggH
12-09-2009, 09:51 PM
Didn't we already play this game, with that same fish?

Just saying. Seems like i've seen this played out once before.

briansII
Yes, this silly game had been played. My point in bring'n it back was to show that guessing weight from a photo is skeetchy. BTW- that striper was just over 40 pounds.

Dabalone
12-09-2009, 10:11 PM
If that fish is over 40 pounds, I rest my case when I say pics are deceiving. Not disputing the weight but from the pic I would have never guessed the fish was that big.

GreggH
12-09-2009, 10:27 PM
Case rest's.........thank god.

Frank Alessio
12-10-2009, 10:10 AM
So in the interest of Science... What was the Girth?????? It is sooooomuch fun to do the Math....

briansII
12-10-2009, 01:37 PM
a legit 48" huh.. Must be schwarzenegger in disguise holding that fish like then.. biceps of steel.

I have actually landed (not my fish, I dragged it out of the river for a friend) a striper within an inch or two of 48" in the merrimack river in NH, and I am positive I could never, ever, hold it like that. I had both fists on the lower lip holding it vertically up near my chest, and that took an all out effort. Big enough that you could easily put two side by side fists into the mouth.

Pretty fish, but I have no idea on weight.

You mean like this 44.6, 47, and 40 lb. striper. Like what's been said. Pictures are very deceiving. The 3 fish below look much larger than the one posted earlier. Since there is a Boga hanging from the mouth of the fish in question, I have to take them at their word. It does look like a long fish, without the big gut of the others. Whatever. It's a beautiful fish!

briansII

Tony Buzolich
12-10-2009, 04:50 PM
Brian,

If you're basing someone else's statment of size on the boga-grip hanging from the jaw of the fish realize that Boga's only come in 15# and 30# with that size handle. They used to make a larger version that went to 60# but the handle was much much larger.

So, how do you get an accurate weight with a scale that doesn't read that high?

Those are some real hogs that came out of Elephany Butte Resv.
TONY

Dabalone
12-10-2009, 04:59 PM
Tony, I believe Boga has a 15" which weighs up to 60 lbs.

jumpshooter
12-10-2009, 06:39 PM
Girth was roughly 25". So with a measurement of 48" X 25" that should give a rough weight of 38lbs. The fish bottomed out the 30lbs boga without getting anything past the second dorsal off the deck of the boat.

Bryan Morgan
12-12-2009, 01:11 PM
Isn't there a formula for weighing fish? It goes something like Length X Girth X Girth divided by ?.

lee s.
12-13-2009, 12:28 AM
Tony,
I just cut'em in half if they're too big.....maybe thirds if'n they're REAL big! ;-)
Greg,
Looks like Tomales.....there used to be a FANTASTIC night time striper fishery in the south end of the bay.
.....lee s.

Frank Alessio
12-13-2009, 09:37 AM
Bryan.... It goes like this....

GxGxL divided by800

25x25=625x48=30000 div by 800=30800

so that fish was thirty thousand eight hunderd pounds.... Frank

jbird
12-13-2009, 09:48 AM
I guess I just dont see the relevence of all this. Catch a fish, make a guess, take a pic, let it go. What do you care if the numbers are off?

Frank Alessio
12-13-2009, 10:23 AM
Good bottom line jay....

Bill Kiene semi-retired
12-14-2009, 09:35 AM
Over the years I think I have always guessed over what a fish actually weighs myself.

I am actually happy to hook anything now days...........

I think it is very hard to tell with photos.

DFrink
12-14-2009, 10:46 AM
I guess I just dont see the relevence of all this. Catch a fish, make a guess, take a pic, let it go. What do you care if the numbers are off?

I'm glad someone said it.

michaeln
12-14-2009, 03:50 PM
The only time I have cared about the weight was when I was commercial salmon fishing. Then it was the ONLY important thing. It's not important to me when fishing for fun.

Hairstacker
12-14-2009, 07:18 PM
Yeah, I don't care about the weight either unless it is an unusually large fish. As far as the length, I usually measure because if I post a report online, I like to be accurate; otherwise, I'm usually not that hung up about length either. :)

WhipperSnapper
12-14-2009, 08:56 PM
I never measure trout... I always guesstimate. The only time a weigh a fish is if it's a big LM.