PDA

View Full Version : Snow in Sacramento on Monday?

Bill Kiene semi-retired
12-06-2009, 11:41 AM
Sacramento Bee News:

Snow will fall and accumulate in Sacramento on Monday, the National Weather Service is predicting.

Temperatures in the capital will fall into the 20s.

__________________________________________________ _______________________

Wikipedia on Sacramento, CA:

Snowfall is exceptionally rare in Sacramento (at an elevation of only 52 feet (16 m) above sea level). The all-time record snowfall was 3.5 inches (9 cm) and occurred on January 4, 1888. Dustings occur every 5–10 years, with up to an inch accumulation in outlying areas. During especially cold winter and spring storms, intense showers do occasionally produce a significant amount of hail, which can create hazardous driving conditions. Significant snow accumulations occur each year in the foothills located 40 miles (65 km) east of the city.

__________________________________________________ ______________________

I have been here in Sacramento since 1945 and I do remember it really snowing once but I am sure it has snowed more times than that.

I was going duck hunting out at my relatives farm out at Riego and Power-line north of our international airport in January 4th, 1988 (that has to be the right date but I thought it was in the 1970s?).

We parked at the ranch house and walked with our backpack full of decoys to the "back forty" where there was a big canal that was mostly dry. Everything was white, covered with a blanket of snow and it was beautiful out here.

We found some low spots in the rice fields where water had collected but was now ice.

Ducks were actually landing on those small pieces of water that were frozen.

It was interesting to be hunting ducks while it was snowing.

We put out some decoys and took cover behind a small stand of tulleys, covering ourselves with last minute found heavy wool army blankets.

............we got a few ducks.

__________________________________________________ _______________________

Do you remember the snow here in Sacto on January 4th, 1988?

Darian
12-06-2009, 12:03 PM
I don't recall the dates but do recall looking out of the windows of an upper floor of a state building and seeing snow landing on the bottom borders of the windows during the day. Probably late '70s.... Brrrrrr.... :confused:

Also recall the last "big cold spell" that hit Sacto during the late 80's when air temps were in the high 20's, mid- 30's all day. Was stopped at a stop sign while walking to work when a driver making a left turn was driving to fast on the icy surface (at 22nd/X streets). The vehicle lost traction and crashed into the corner/curb. It ended up with the suspension resting on the sidewalk and both wheels/tires spread flat.... Lotsa damage.... :eek: Cool skid tho.... :lol: :lol:

Fats
12-06-2009, 12:33 PM
I don't recall the dates but do recall looking out of the windows of an upper floor of a state building and seeing snow landing on the bottom borders of the windows during the day. Probably late '70s.... Brrrrrr.... :confused:

Also recall the last "big cold spell" that hit Sacto during the late 80's when air temps were in the high 20's, mid- 30's all day. Was stopped at a stop sign while walking to work when a driver making a left turn was driving to fast on the icy surface (at 22nd/X streets). The vehicle lost traction and crashed into the corner/curb. It ended up with the suspension resting on the sidewalk and both wheels/tires spread flat.... Lotsa damage.... :eek: Cool skid tho.... :lol: :lol:

Folks that don't drive in the snow very often are fun to watch, as long as you have a safe vantage point. Growing up in Michigan... I don't see what the big deal is.

SHigSpeed
12-06-2009, 12:34 PM
Woo hoo!!

I've been in the area for most of my life and recall at least two good snowfalls. Once around 1976 or so and once more recently.

Should be fun! :) Oh, uh, my tires are nearly down to the wear indicators - better stay home from work!

_SHig

p.s. ...and bring in my tropical plants!!

bigfly
12-06-2009, 01:12 PM
Near 0 deg. last night up here, nice flurries right now. Maybe you guys can have a white Christmas too!
Happy holidays.

Reno Flytyer
12-06-2009, 01:46 PM
"Oh, uh, my tires are nearly down to the wear indicators - better stay home from work!"

Funny how those same tires get you to all those fishin' spots, huh, Shig? LOL, your secret is as safe with me as it was with you!!

RFT

troutbm
12-06-2009, 04:00 PM
must be global warming.

Darrin.Deel
12-06-2009, 07:33 PM
take that al gore

Bill Kiene semi-retired
12-06-2009, 11:26 PM
Maybe 10 years ago or so I remember that the valley froze up and water pipes burst from here to Redding?

Anyone remember that one?

Bill Kiene semi-retired
12-07-2009, 09:44 AM
eMessage from Don Kohn up near Grass Valley:

"It snowed last night. Don't know how deep it is in Grass Valley but down here in my place I stuck a ruler in the snow on the back deck railing and it measured 8 3/4 inches."

Mrs.Finsallaround
12-07-2009, 10:00 AM
We live in Carmichael, elevation 118-130 ft. There was snow on our cars and slush on our porch this morning! :eek:

SHigSpeed
12-07-2009, 10:40 AM
Pretty weak. Guess Gore was right. Only had maybe a half an inch on the cars, some left on the lawn. I got up at 4 to see the winter wonderland and was disappointed...

At least the kids got to see what there was. Hope for more!

_SHig

Bill Kiene semi-retired
12-07-2009, 10:42 AM
email from Bill Carnazzo in Foresthill, CA:

Hi, Bill...Here's what it looks like here in Foresthill this morning. I won't be getting out of here anytime soon, it appears.

Bill Carnazzo

SHigSpeed
12-07-2009, 10:45 AM
email from Bill Carnazzo in Foresthill, CA:

Hi, Bill...Here's what it looks like here in Foresthill this morning. I won't be getting out of here anytime soon, it appears.

Bill Carnazzo

Now THAT'S what I'd like to see some day in the valley...

Beautiful!

_SHig

Scott V
12-07-2009, 10:50 AM
Woke up around 3:30 and the snow was about 8 or so inches deep and coming down good, it was above the bottom of all the cars in the neighborhood. When I left at 6:30 it was about 4 inches deep and raining, but the hills looked beautiful.

This is the first time I have lived in a house where it snowed, it was pretty neat for us.

inclinejj
12-07-2009, 12:02 PM
1997 during the big Reno flood..Pipes broke all over The Bay Area and lots of damage around Tahoe..

No snow around Pacifica but a pretty cool picture of Mt Diablo this morning in the SF Chronicle

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/12/07/BAMB1B0B19.DTL

Jaybinder
12-07-2009, 12:49 PM
No snowin Campbell but Summit Rd. has a nice dusting.

bclem81
12-07-2009, 03:03 PM
live here in rancho cordova didnt see any snow, but when i was in the military stationed at beale afb ca, (marysville area) i was living near ellis lake at the time and it believe it was febuary 2001 and we actually got over 6"s of snow. it was nice to see, being from upstate new york where we get lake effect snow we can see 3 ft of snow in only 2 hours, its crazy out there. i love the white stuff, love fishing in it, playing in it, 4wheeling in it, snowmobiling in it, i would say snowboarding but still recovery from a crash from that. but the white flakey stuff is great. wish i could see more of it more often

Bill Kiene semi-retired
12-07-2009, 10:53 PM
Our grand kids in El Dorado Hills didn't have school today and played outside for hours in the snow up there.

Hope they got some photos for us?

bigfly
12-08-2009, 12:32 PM
Wow, still a little ("moving water). -15 deg. last night, and the fluffiest snow I've seen in a while. Bring your Daves' freeze paste if you come up!

Mike O
12-08-2009, 12:55 PM
8 years ago. we got enought snow on the ground here in Woodland that we left footprints as we walked. Here at Woodland High School, I held classes outside until the snow melted. I am a history teacher, and this was history in the making.

I remember snowball fights and trying to sled down the small hill behind the library on garbage bags.

I also remember all the kids looking out the windows of the library, longing to come out and play. the students walking to the RR, participating ever so quickly in our snow wars. It was all over too soon.

I was bummed it missed us Monday.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
12-09-2009, 10:59 AM
Here is a photo Don Kohn sent me from his home near Grass Valley.