PDA

View Full Version : Delta 12/4

JWarner
12-04-2009, 04:57 PM
Fished the Delta today. More fish in the 4 to 5 pound class than I have seen this year so far. Biggest 11 pounds, but most 3 to 5 pounds. Fish were holding on the secondary breaks. Only had a chance to fish 7 to 1pm. It was COLD this morning and the water temp was only 44 degrees.

Jeff

george2008
12-08-2009, 11:04 AM
What is a "secondary break"?

thanks

Tony Buzolich
12-08-2009, 11:53 AM
Good question George,

What is a secondary break?
TONY

JWarner
12-08-2009, 01:12 PM
What is a "secondary break"?

thanks

The slough that I was fishing was 12 feet deep. The bank sloped down to 6 feet and then dropped off again to 9 feet. Most of the bigger fish I caught were on the 9 foot or secondary break. Most of the smaller fish were in 6 feet of water.

When fishing the delta you see the area from the rip rap out to the weed line that varies from 0 to 6 feet of water.(First break line) Outside of the weed line it can be anywhere from 8 to 12 feet,(Secondary break) and then you have the deepest part of the slough.

It really depends on the area you are fishing. As most of you know many times the fish will be in a cut or channel. I also look at the structure in the slough to find little drops that may hold the bigger fish. Last year most of the bigger fish I caught were on the drops just off a sand flat. The schoolies were on the flat and the bigger fish just off the ledge.

Mrs.Finsallaround
12-08-2009, 01:44 PM
The slough that I was fishing was 12 feet deep. The bank sloped down to 6 feet and then dropped off again to 9 feet. Most of the bigger fish I caught were on the 9 foot or secondary break. Most of the smaller fish were in 6 feet of water.

When fishing the delta you see the area from the rip rap out to the weed line that varies from 0 to 6 feet of water.(First break line) Outside of the weed line it can be anywhere from 8 to 12 feet,(Secondary break) and then you have the deepest part of the slough.

It really depends on the area you are fishing. As most of you know many times the fish will be in a cut or channel. I also look at the structure in the slough to find little drops that may hold the bigger fish. Last year most of the bigger fish I caught were on the drops just off a sand flat. The schoolies were on the flat and the bigger fish just off the ledge.

Yeah, that's where we do the best too8), at least subsurface, anyway. For topwater, we do better on the first break...

Although, I have been known to get 'em on top in 35 ft of water too.... :unibrow:

Tracy Chimenti
12-09-2009, 01:20 PM
A secondary break is the when you break your favorite rod on a trip, begin fishing with your second favorite, and then break it too!

spinfisher
12-14-2009, 12:18 PM
:)

Break the second rod, LOL!!