PDA

View Full Version : Punta Colorada

David Lee
12-03-2009, 06:25 PM
The first clip -

The 'correct' way to beat a Ladyfish - use 15 Lb. tippet (or heavier) , and lock 'em up ..... if you let the Sabalo get beyond the wash , it'll run to hell and back and get tired. I didn't kill any by mistake this time , just brought them in green and struggled to get my hands on them for the release . This was Candida's first fishing clip - we shot three more after this one , but every fish came off .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONHBqskQqug

Second clip - Candida found a ball of Sardina under attack by Dog Snapper and a nice Cortez Halibut ..... She managed to get some close-up shots of the 'But before smacking it by accident w/ the camera . Pretty cool to see the bait underwater .....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjnLJ83nUog

Photos soon .....

David

jbird
12-03-2009, 07:07 PM
David

I am so happy for you that you had such an epic trip! Love the videos! There is a school of moorish idols in the vid Candida took. That is really unusual, they usually hang in pairs. It may be a clutch of juvi's....very cool!

David Lee
12-03-2009, 07:56 PM
Hey Jay,

Thanks! Here's another video with some Parrotfish and rainbow wrasse. Plus some others. It's a little shaky, it was one of my first. I loved it some much, I am upgrading to a better camera for our next trip

Candida

PS - Any camera recommendations would be awesome!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61uwcorKt7U

jbird
12-03-2009, 08:21 PM
David

Jay M keeps talking about that go pro camera. He could probably give you some advise on them. Your camera actually looks like it does pretty well! A little work on steadying the camera would make some great quality videos. I know how hard it is to film smoothly underwater, especially if you get a little shiver goin.LOL...or start running outa breath.

That looks like a really prolific reef! Good to still see that down there!

Hairstacker
12-05-2009, 09:27 AM
Totally enjoyed the videos! As cool as pictures are, they just can't beat a great video for putting you mentally there. Felt like I was standing there on the beach watching that flyrod bouncing around. :cool::cool::cool:

David Lee
12-05-2009, 09:53 AM
Glad you enjoyed it , Mike !

We had walked for about 1 1/2 hours to get to the lighthouse (Candida brought the small water bottle , so we were hosed ....) on December 1st , our last full day of fishing . I did most of the walk barefooted , so my feet were sore by this point , not to mention burned pretty bad (bad enough to make this my last fishing juant of the trip - sunburned feet and legs do not mix well w/ early morning surf fishing).

I was tired to the point of being wiped , and it shows in my casting (dropping the tip of the fore cast) . The running line was giving me the shits pretty badly , and I was more than a little irate by the time Candida started shooting ... Knowing how well her filming was going by this point , I did cheer up a little when we shot that first clip . When we did the playback back at home , I cracked-up pretty hard .

How's this for a great ending ? We are over 3/4 of the way back to HPC , totally tired and thirsty . We stop for our last break before finishing the walk ..... chattering about how nice a Frio Pacifico/glass of cold water w/ Lime/anything wet would be , and I offhandedly whine " I KNOW those %^$@#!@# are watchin' us from the bar - why don't they send Senior' Roy out on the Quad w/ some drinks?" .

About 5 minutes later .......

Here comes a White truck , haulin' ass down the beach (a BIG no-no) , comin' right at us . So Candida and I look at each other and say " Huh ?? What the heck is all this about ??"

Turns out - Johnny has been wondering when we were coming back in .... and is standing at the bar , Binocc's in hand ... watching us drag our sorry selves back - when he saw us flop down in the sand .... he figured we were done for , and has kindly come to our rescue (an act that he can get into trouble over .... since he is supposed to be manning the bar ! Thank goodness , there's no one around to serve drinks to .....) . When we realise who is driving , we both go into hysterical laughter !! Johnny pulls up , and we're both DYIN' - Johnny has this look on his face , like ..... 'Gringos have lost their minds' kinda look ...

It was fun .

D.~

Jay Murakoshi
12-05-2009, 04:12 PM
David/Jay,
The camera I'm using is call the Hero Surf GoPro. It's a 5 mega pixel camera. It can shoot from 720p up to 1080p HD at 30fps or 60fps. At 720p it's a 170 degree wide angle range at 1080p HD it shoots at 127 degree wide angle. It has a depth range of 100 feet and deeper on the new camera.

You can see and view more on their website www.goprocamera.com If your interested, I'm dealer and can get you a better price. I've already sold 5 of the newer cameras.

I also use the chest strap for shooting fish fighting shots, a telescopic pole for video taping underwater footage like the trout footage. I also have footage on shad, dorado, roosters and some bass. We also came up with a device that can attach to the front end of the cork grip on the rod handle.

Happy Holidays

Jay

David Lee
12-05-2009, 06:19 PM
JM -

Thanks for the info , I'll have Candida take a look at it .

How 'bout that JOCK KOO-STOW Island ....... ? Hehehehehehehe

David