PDA

View Full Version : *Important* - Law Review Article Regarding the Decades Old Water Issue of Westlands

OceanSunfish
12-01-2009, 01:42 PM
The link below provides the opportunity to print, read, or download the subject law review. The review provides a complete summary of the decades long shenanigans between Politician, BuRec, and Westlands.

IMO, this review pretty much sums "it" all up.

http://www.lloydgcarter.com/content/091101321_san-joaquin-poverty-and-industrial-agribusiness-law-review-article-lloyd-carter

The question is: Do we still need a $11 billion water bond IF the suggested 394K acres are actually retired? Another way to look at the 394K acres is to imagine "smoke stack" industries spewing out polution at pre EPA volumes. How do you justify spending all that money to support a "smoke stack" industry whereby there is no current solution to handle the untreated wastewater?! ("drain" as it is refered to)

Pay close attention to page 30, para 2 for suspected intent of Westlands going forward.

Thanks.

CapitalFishr
12-01-2009, 04:52 PM
That's one hell of an article with very ample evidence... Thanks for posting this.

STEELIES/26c3
12-01-2009, 11:50 PM
Wow!

I pretty much knew the situation but that article laid it out on the tiles quite thoroughly.

A biased article no doubt but biased in the RIGHT direction ~;)

AND He's a Steinbeck fan so he must be right!

Thanks for the expose'

M

OceanSunfish
12-02-2009, 02:15 AM
So far, I've sent this review to most of my family and friends. Unfortunately, most will not bother to read. I'm incredulous with regards to the apathy amongst fellow Californians. It is as if we tolerate and accept crooked politicians, unethical business practices, and pick and chose the good parts of any thoery (especially Keynesian Economics (sp?)) for short term gain without consideration for the consequences.

In light of an $11 billion water bond, our state in an almost bankrupt status, and an ecosystem in peril, the Carter Review should be enough to put everyone over the top!

Darian
12-02-2009, 10:51 AM
Just a hint about postings on BB's. Don't be discouraged about whether info posted here isn't read by large volumes of members/people right away. It's been my and others experience that lengthy technical articles are not easily read on-line. They take time to read and digest for most of us. I'm one of those that won't read a lengthy article or any material on-line unless there is no other source (hard-copy). It's all about packaging.

This particular article is from the Law Review a source of material that is a put-off for all but the most interested of readers. Then it's lengthy (38 pages) with numerous footnotes. Two strikes right off the bat. The third strike is that it's a summary of a lot of history already out there (much of it published or posted here in the conservation forum already....).

Your other observations about apathy are accurate but I haven't found a solution to that. Of course, there're always people who are exceptions.... I would like to say that it's due to the current economic "crisis" but that doesn't seem to be true as people were apathetic before the downturn. Maybe they just aren't interested.... :confused: :confused: Rather be fishin' (not a bad idea either). :)

OceanSunfish
12-02-2009, 01:26 PM
Just a hint about postings on BB's. Don't be discouraged about whether info posted here isn't read by large volumes of members/people right away. It's been my and others experience that lengthy technical articles are not easily read on-line. They take time to read and digest for most of us. I'm one of those that won't read a lengthy article or any material on-line unless there is no other source (hard-copy). It's all about packaging.

This particular article is from the Law Review a source of material that is a put-off for all but the most interested of readers. Then it's lengthy (38 pages) with numerous footnotes. Two strikes right off the bat. The third strike is that it's a summary of a lot of history already out there (much of it published or posted here in the conservation forum already....).

Your other observations about apathy are accurate but I haven't found a solution to that. Of course, there're always people who are exceptions.... I would like to say that it's due to the current economic "crisis" but that doesn't seem to be true as people were apathetic before the downturn. Maybe they just aren't interested.... :confused: :confused: Rather be fishin' (not a bad idea either). :)

I agree. I was blowing off steam. My apologies.

On the other hand, it shouldn't be a "put off" either. The water issue is everything now.

I will say that the actual amount of readable text is probably half with the other half being footnotes and references. It's a far cry from a top to bottom full 38 page novel.

Darian
12-02-2009, 03:27 PM
No need for apologies.... We're on the same page. 8)

OceanSunfish
12-04-2009, 09:15 PM
I sent this paper back to the east coast where some of my co-workers/colleagues live/work and they were very interested in the details this report provided. They were attracted to the Hannity Report on Smelt vs. Farms from earlier this year and gave me a ribbing about how ridiculously "environment" we are in CA, etc.

Well, after reading the report and getting the context of the issues at hand, they've come to the conclusion that CA has been essentially abused and pillaged by unethical opportunists and the pollitically corrupt. Of course, their opinion is base on more than the water issue, of course. Nevertheless, they understand "it's" bigger than just a fish now.

STEELIES/26c3
12-05-2009, 02:18 AM
I read it head to toe but skipped the footnotes...

Yes, apathy is rampant in our society.

I've had this discussion with many friends and a some members of this board and others...

Take solace in the fact that for as few replies as there usually are on these issues threads... there is much more interest than meets the eye.

Many will read and simply not comment but will get involved some way... either passing the info along to one or many others, attending a protest or a hearing, reading more about the topic at hand, writing letters to pertinent politicians, making a fiscal contribution, etc...

I, for one, don't care for politics but I have an even greater dislike for apathy.

Knowing that I'm a misfit, minority, mental-case, fishing freak and that mainstream Americans care mostly about the mains and not the streams... I am obliged to try and make a dent so I do what I can when I can.

Chin up!
Thanks,
M