PDA

View Full Version : Pyramid

jayclarkflyfishing
11-29-2009, 09:31 PM
Had a nice day at Pyramid today.Fishing was slow overall with only 2 hooked,but it was a lovely day in an amazing setting.Water temps were in the low 50's.I fished 4 different beaches on the west side.Crowds were manageable.

Jay

EricW
11-30-2009, 01:15 AM
I was out today. Pretty much the same. 3 beaches, 2 solid bumps, asleep at the wheel on one, the other unbuttoned, couple other follows. Friend I was with picked up 2. Real mild pleasant day.

Fished a new line out there, Rio Outbound #6 sink6 w/ intermediate running line. Cast nice, turned over pretty well, tangles were infrequent and pretty mild. We'll see how it handles on the really cold days.

Did talk to the ranger for a bit (got carded). They actually had one of the tagged fish from the tourney caught. Turned out to be one of the prize fish, not a $10k fish. Pretty amazing considering the size of the lake and they only tagged 25 fish. The biologists were very happy though because several other previously tagged fish (5 or 6) were returned; apparently that doesn't happen very often. Got a little info on the tourney tags, sealed enveloped with matching tags (no one knew the contents), then the Fish and Game did the actual tagging. They covered costs on the tourney and are raffling the remaining prizes among the entrants.

jayclarkflyfishing
11-30-2009, 09:40 AM
Eric-
What tourney are you referring to?

I lost my first hookup because I was asleep at the wheel also!I didn't get checked by the ranger,but saw him cruising around on a quad trying to sneak up on people.

Also,I like the new permanent bathroom facilities at Pelican,North Nets,and Wino Beach.A much needed improvement.

Big changes at Wino with massive erosion of the beach and a 5-6' drop off to get to the water.Must have been some massive waves to do that!

Jay

EricW
11-30-2009, 07:00 PM
I didn't hear about it much either, but the tribe held their own tourny on Friday/Sat (27th & 28th) called the Pyramid Lake Cutthroat Challenge (http://plpt.nsn.us/derby/index.html). They caught, tagged and released 25 fish into the lake. 5 of them were worth $10k a piece. Seems a bit like a needle in a haystack. Maybe not so bad since the prizes were raffled between the entrants though I'm not sure what the "other prizes" were... Something like a lifetime fishing permit would be cool.

nate1031
12-10-2009, 02:06 PM
Hey, ya'll. I'm gonna be traveling out that way around Christmas time and plan on spending hopefully 3 days (wahoo!) out at Pyramid. I've never fished there and plan on stopping by the local shop to get some advice and flies, but I lost my stillwater box last week, so I have zero leeches/stillwater streamers. Because I'm playing catchup, I'd love to get a headstart on tying some bugs.

Any suggestions on good bugs to have for late-December? I'd super appreciate any suggestions you have. From the reading I've done I'm assuming I'll be throwing an 8wt with a fast sink line. I'm going to want my ladder to, right? Especially since it's been so warm lately!

Chris Evison
12-10-2009, 06:35 PM
Nate-

Tie size 8 & 10 woollies. Black, purple, chartruse hackle and matching estaz. Tie some with a short red marabou tail (1/4"). You can mix and match also char body and white hackle is a good one.

Try spots with deep drop-offs with clousers count forvever and vary your stripping until you figure it out. Colors- Char and white & olive/white. Sandy areas best for strippping.

Bring a stripping basket if using a sink-tip w/intermediate running line.

Call Reno Flyshop for the current conditions 775-825-3474. They sell the permits for Pyramid and have maps.

I haven't fished out there yet this year, but have heard that it is slow as the other posts suggest. Big fish are out there!

jayclarkflyfishing
12-11-2009, 07:29 PM
Nate-
I agree with Chris,except I would fish bigger buggers.Size 2-6.Fish any color as long as it is black!Also foam beetles in white/chartreuse,black/chartreuse,black and purple.Gettting a little late in the year for chub patterns to be very effective but you never know.The Nets are a good spot to start,but there are many beaches that will produce.Fish a spot for an hour and if you don't get a bite move.This time of year it is not a numbers game.A couple of fish a day is considered good,but there is always a chance at Big Red!

Have fun and stay warm!!

Jay

BruceSmith
12-12-2009, 12:16 PM
Hi Jay, Chris,
Looking forward to fishing with all of you again this coming season. High hopes and big fish for everyone.
Jay I still have that issue of WON with you on the cover. I will get it to you someday!:wasted:
Everything Stillwater finally went off the air, but I am trying to keep up on things over on Facebook. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Everything-Stillwater/115652690897?ref=ts

Henrys was good this fall, but not alot of big fish, you know over eight.

BigFishHappen,
Bruce
:nod:;):cool:

nate1031
12-12-2009, 03:27 PM
Thanks guys! I really appreciate the help! I'm really really looking forward to the trip. Since we'll be at the in-laws for two weeks the wife said that I can fish the 21st-23rd, so that's exactly what I'm gonna do. Hopefully in those three days I'll be able to get into a few fish. Not sure if it's necessary (it will be warmer i'm sure) but I was planning on borrowing a 6ft ladder from my father-in-law as well. Generally, do they seem to like slower, steady retrieves...jerky? I'll experiment with everything and get more info at the fly shop but I REALLY appreciate your help!

EricW
12-13-2009, 09:21 PM
Hi Nate,
Probably nothing too fast this time of year unless it's windy and you're having to keep tight in big waves (particularly if you have floating running line). Be sure to give your flies plenty of time to get to the bottom and try to keep decent contact. Some days are calm enough that you can fish very slow. You should be feeling bottom on occasion, if not every cast, especially if you've gotten your flies over a shelf. If you a miss a bump, don't give up on it, many times they'll come back. Also fish your flies right to your feet, they'll follow a long way and sometimes take right beneath you. Sink line, typically light flies, nice heavy tippet (8-10 LB at least) so you'll have no fear playing them hard, get em in quick. They're not leader shy. For gloves I like fleece w/ no finger tips and neoprene palms. Stay away from the few spots with a clay bottom (you'll know!), really watch out for soft sand driving.

It can be big and intimidating at first but walk out there like you know what you're doing ;), plant yourself on a relatively flat spot just before it's too deep to wade, stomp that bottom step a few times to make sure your ladder is solid, climb up a couple steps and let it rip. Unless someone really looks like they're trying to be apart from everyone else, it's ok to 'get in line' with the rest of the anglers out there, usually 40-50' between each other. Say hi and have a chat while you're fishing. A shorter cast that lays itself out straight is much better than a longer cast that gets all tangled up. Little bit of slack while it's sinking, keep the tip low and still, pointing pretty much straight down the line while retrieving. Good luck!

I'll be out of town until Sunday, but will probably be out there a couple of the days after since my plant is closed the week in between. Shoot me a message and we could probably meet out at the Nets one of the mornings.