PDA

View Full Version : Swappin' time (or, this isn't your Dad's dry fly collection)

jburge
11-29-2009, 01:04 PM
So here's a thought... given it's that time of year where a lot of us are going subsurface for our beloved trout, how about a swap? We can base it on the collection of suggestions that came up on this thread:

http://www.kiene.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16219&page=4

I don't mind playing host if there's interest. I can post some general rules and hopefully we can all have some fun and learn from each other too.

Swap is CLOSED.

-----

Here we go (due date Jan 11):

1. jburge - Sloan's Mighty Mite
2. Hairstacker - Zug Bug - RECEIVED
3. WoolyBugger - Dark Lord - RECEIVED
4. Scott V - Frog Snot - COMING...
5. Guppy - Bird's Nest - RECEIVED
6. gene goss - MultiColor Wiggle Tail - RECEIVED
7. flounder - Prince Nymph - RECEIVED
8. CODY - TBD - DROPPED
9. slage - Silver Fork Special - RECEIVED
10. nrvi - Fox's Poopah - RECEIVED
11. Mrs.Finsallaround - Bead Head Flashback Pheasant Tail - RECEIVED
12. troutbm - Hare's ear emerger - ???

Hairstacker
11-29-2009, 01:15 PM
The Ultimate Trout Subsurface Fly Collection? I'm in! :D

Ben Kobrin
11-29-2009, 02:28 PM
Sounds like fun. Winter is for tyin' anyway! Once the rules and regulations are decided I'll chime in with my pattern.

-Ben

jburge
11-29-2009, 06:50 PM
OK, well with Hairstacker and WoolyBugger in, that's 3 of us. We're one quarter there ;-)

How's this... without being too cumbersome, here's what we can all keep in mind. BTW, I know some of you are "veteran" swappers and swapmeisters. You know how this works, but for those of you who want to jump in for the first time or need a reminder, here ya go:

- First 12 to say, "I'm in," are in. You don't need to name your fly immediately, but the sooner the better 'cause it's helps others choose.

- Due date is January 11. That's 6 weeks out which is a little bit longer than most swaps, but since we're approaching holiday season and things can get pretty hectic, that should be plenty of time. And just because it's next year, don't forget about it completely ;-)

- All tiers tie up 12 flies (11 if you don't want one of yours back).

- Once you're done tying, you can post a notice online or send me a PM. I'll send you my mailing address.

- When mailing your flies, please put them in a durable container (a lot of people use Altoid tins) and then put the container in strong envelope or box (personally, I like to send my flies in a padded envelope).

- Please be sure to include an additional self-addressed and postage paid envelope or box so that I can send the swap flies back to you.

- Please "toe tag" your flies--a little strip of paper with the name of the fly, your online name (optional email too so that other tiers can email you for tying instructions), and the name of the swap, "Ultimate Subsurface Trout Collection."

- When I receive the flies, I will post it online.

- Once I have sorted, packaged and mailed the flies back, I will let you know by posting online.

- Once you have received your set of flies, please let me/us know by posting online.

If you all like, I can take some macro photos and post them too. Just let me know what you think.

BTW, a big thanks to Hairstacker (Mike) for his encouragement. It should be a lot of fun with some laughs and learning in between. Thanks!

John

Scott V
11-29-2009, 09:22 PM
You know you can count me in, and I'll even send you your box of flies from the last swap on the other board. I bet you thought I forgot, well I did but I will get them out tomorrow.

Garrett S
11-29-2009, 09:49 PM
Add me to the list :)

Darian
11-29-2009, 11:18 PM
John,.... Just a quick suggestion from a non-participant. How about just the name of the pattern on the "Toe Tag" :?: Anything more than that makes a toe sheet. :lol: If you make the print smaller to enter it all, guys like me can't read it without a magnifier.... :roll: unless tying a unique pattern, the recipe will appear on the internet somewhere and if the pattern is unique, the recipe could be posted on-line, here.... 8) 8)

jburge
11-30-2009, 07:43 AM
Darian,

"Toe sheet," LOL. Fine by me if the toe tag has just the name of the fly. I've seen everything from each fly packaged in its own individual plastic wrap with a business card "tag," to hand scrawled little scraps of paper. I just thought it'd be easier to see at-a-glance the name of the fly and who tied it. I'm easy.

And Scott,

I figured you didn't forget ;-) Besides, I know where you fish... sometimes. Ha!

John

Scott V
11-30-2009, 08:53 AM
Hey John, I was there yesterday catching trout!!!

gene goss
11-30-2009, 10:54 AM
You can add my name to the list if you don't mind the same old wiggle tail.....maybe a different color for the new year....i heard that black is out and pink is in.

Hairstacker
11-30-2009, 11:31 AM
You can add my name to the list if you don't mind the same old wiggle tail.....maybe a different color for the new year....i heard that black is out and pink is in.

Gene, the venerable wiggle tail is unfortunately not listed as part of the "Ultimate Trout Subsurface Fly Collection" . . . are you sure you wouldn't want to tie something that is? :unibrow:

Scott V
11-30-2009, 12:28 PM
I am tying a wiggle tail as well, it is my go to fly for subsurface trout. Mine will be olive. Anyone who fishes with me on stillwater knows I always throw a wiggle tail now, thanks to Gene showing me about them.

Ben Kobrin
11-30-2009, 01:08 PM
I'll call dibs on the Dark Lord...probably size 18.

Mrs.Finsallaround
11-30-2009, 03:17 PM
Gene, the venerable wiggle tail is unfortunately not listed as part of the "Ultimate Trout Subsurface Fly Collection" . . . are you sure you wouldn't want to tie something that is? :unibrow:

Aw... Come on Mike... a wiggle tail is just a junior wooly bugger! :unibrow:

Hairstacker
11-30-2009, 03:51 PM
Okay fine! :lol: I was kind of hoping they would challenge themselves, but then again, it is not my place to think or say so. :p

flounder
11-30-2009, 04:28 PM
I'm not sure what i am going to tie, but count me in. . .

SHigSpeed
11-30-2009, 06:32 PM
Okay fine! :lol: I was kind of hoping they would challenge themselves, but then again, it is not my place to think or say so. :p

You want challenge or something proven to work!? :P

I'm still on the fence on this one...

_SHig

Hairstacker
11-30-2009, 07:36 PM
You want challenge or something proven to work!? :P

I'm still on the fence on this one...

_SHig

Well . . . since most flies are a challenge for me to tie really well, I have no problems being able to satisfy both criteria. :lol: But, I get your point, some of the guns on this board may find every one of those flies on the "Ultimate Trout Subsurface Fly Collection" thread overly easy and thus be in a quandry . . . .:D

CODY
11-30-2009, 08:45 PM
im in, i'll let you know what im tying

jburge
11-30-2009, 09:55 PM
Scott, you mean the water is back in and they've finished the construction??? Can't believe you were bagging trout. I know where I'm going next!

Gee, I didn't realize we had "junior woolly bugger" lovers :-) They're definitely subsurface, and though they're not mentioned by name in the list, if they're catching fish and you believe in 'em, then bring 'em on!

Mike, I can totally relate to the challenge aspect. I'm involved in another swap on another board, where it's going to be a really simple midge. So, I'm going to push myself on this one a bit, especially if I try for the Mighty Mite.

And now that we have Scott V, Guppy, gene goss, flounder, _SHig?, and Cody, we still have room for 3 more. Who's in?

John

BTW, if you want to check the status of the swap quickly, I'll be updating the starting message for this thread.

SHigSpeed
11-30-2009, 10:11 PM
Scott, you mean the water is back in and they've finished the construction??? Can't believe you were bagging trout. I know where I'm going next!

Yup, lookin' good. Water was up a foot between Wednesday and Sunday. Still four or five feet to overflow on the dipstick and water was rushing in last week.

BTW, I'm still not 100% on this so if someone bumps me no biggie.

_SHig

slage
11-30-2009, 11:29 PM
I'll join up. Not sure what I'll wrap yet. Thanks for hosting J.

jburge
12-01-2009, 07:14 AM
Yup, lookin' good. Water was up a foot between Wednesday and Sunday. Still four or five feet to overflow on the dipstick and water was rushing in last week.

BTW, I'm still not 100% on this so if someone bumps me no biggie.

_SHig

Boy, that's great news. I hadn't been out there since the construction fences kept you out and the water was low and ugly.

And c'mon, I know you're throwin' bugs on that list. You know you want to do it ;-)

John

nrvi
12-01-2009, 08:59 AM
I will contribute a Fox's poopah if there is still room.

jburge
12-01-2009, 09:24 AM
I will contribute a Fox's poopah if there is still room.

You're in, thanks!

John

jburge
12-02-2009, 08:10 PM
Just a bump...

We only need one more, who's in? _SHig, you gonna commit? ;-)

Scott V
12-02-2009, 09:19 PM
Just a bump...

We only need one more, who's in? _SHig, you gonna commit? ;-)

He may not commit but he should be committed.

jburge
12-02-2009, 09:23 PM
He may not commit but he should be committed.

Since I've not fished with him and you have... that's just downright funny! LOL!

Mrs.Finsallaround
12-03-2009, 09:45 AM
Can I play? :D

How about a bead head flashback pheasant tail? :-k

O:)

jburge
12-03-2009, 12:05 PM
Can I play? :D

How about a bead head flashback pheasant tail? :-k

O:)

Robin, you're in. Thanks!

John

jburge
12-03-2009, 10:15 PM
So _SHig, if you're in we have our 12 and we can get to tyin'. What do you want to do?

John

And thanks to all who've signed up. This is gonna be fun!

SHigSpeed
12-03-2009, 10:23 PM
Sorry guys, it's going to be a great swap but I'm out. Someone will step up to fill out the dozen.

_SHig

jburge
12-04-2009, 08:15 AM
Sorry guys, it's going to be a great swap but I'm out. Someone will step up to fill out the dozen.

_SHig

No worries, thanks! OK, y'all we have room for one more. Who wants to play?

John

Garrett S
12-04-2009, 07:56 PM
im going to be tying a birds nest

Scott V
12-04-2009, 08:38 PM

Now remember Guppy your last fly only lasted for about 40 or 50 fish so I want to see some improvements. :)

SHigSpeed
12-04-2009, 08:43 PM
Now remember Guppy your last fly only lasted for about 40 or 50 fish so I want to see some improvements. :)

I was wondering if you were going to bring that up Scott! I still remember you showing me the unraveled bugger that was still catching fish at Mather.

_SHig

Garrett S
12-04-2009, 09:30 PM

HAHAHAHA!!!!!!!! Yes Scott they should improve ;) I FINALLY bought some head cement so they should last, The halfpounders/smolts have been nailing my flies and so far none have been destroyed :)

jburge
12-06-2009, 10:47 AM

Great fly. Thanks Guppy!

And I just heard from flounder too--he's in with the Prince Nymph.

I'm thinking we give the swap a few more days before we close it--December 11--and if we only have 11 tiers, then that's what we'll go with. Are you guys and gals alright with that?

John

Scott V
12-06-2009, 10:49 AM
I was wondering if you were going to bring that up Scott! I still remember you showing me the unraveled bugger that was still catching fish at Mather.

_SHig

That was a great fly that Guppy tied up and I look forward to his next one.

Mrs.Finsallaround
12-07-2009, 10:16 AM
Great fly. Thanks Guppy!

And I just heard from flounder too--he's in with the Prince Nymph.

I'm thinking we give the swap a few more days before we close it--December 11--and if we only have 11 tiers, then that's what we'll go with. Are you guys and gals alright with that?

John

:nod: I got supplies yesterday... :D

troutbm
12-07-2009, 06:23 PM
If you guys need one more I'll join in. I've never done a flyswap and I must admit my tying skills are not great but I think I can twist up somethin that'll work. Hares ear emerger is what i'm thinkin.

jburge
12-07-2009, 07:47 PM
If you guys need one more I'll join in. I've never done a flyswap and I must admit my tying skills are not great but I think I can twist up somethin that'll work. Hares ear emerger is what i'm thinkin.

troutbm,

Awesome, you're in! And don't worry about the tying skills. You'll get better the more you do. We just want to have some fun with this and share some flies. Thanks!

John

jburge
12-07-2009, 07:49 PM
Alright everybody. Welcome to the party! Time to start tying. We have our 12 and we're good to go. As soon as you're done with your flies, post a message here or send me a PM and I'll make sure you get my address. Thanks to all!

John

jburge
12-12-2009, 10:59 AM
Thought I'd post a recipe and some pix of what I just finished up this morning, and what'll be heading your way:

Sloan's Mighty Mite

Hook: TMC 2487 #16
Thread: Black UNI-Thread 8/0
Bead: Copper 3/32" (2.3mm)
Tail: Natural Pheasant Tail (6 fibers)
Back: Pearl Flashabou
Body: Small (16-20) Olive Vinyl Rib
Wingcase: Thin Skin Mottled Oak, Olive
Thorax: Peacock Herl over Medium Olive Antron underbody
Legs: Black Krystal Flash

And no, that's not an eye on the bead--just the reflection of the camera lens ;-)

http://takeahike.us.com/flies/mightymite.jpg

http://takeahike.us.com/flies/mightymite_top.jpg

Hope y'all are having fun! Happy holidays!

John

Hairstacker
12-12-2009, 11:14 AM
John, that is a killer-looking fly! Very nicely done. =D>

By the way, I appreciate you specifying how many fibers you used for the tail . . . small detail but very helpful, as it seems I'm always wondering about such things. :D

nrvi
12-12-2009, 01:20 PM
I only count 5 :]

jburge
12-12-2009, 06:06 PM
I only count 5 :]

Ha! Dude, you found me out :-)

And hey thanks Mike. After tying up over 20 of those, I *think* I might have it down ;-)

John

nrvi
12-16-2009, 11:37 AM
fox's poopahs are in the mail.....

Scott V
12-16-2009, 01:35 PM
I am doing a variation on my wiggle tail that I tested this weekend. It definitely works and will be a main fly in my box for stillwater. It is called "Frog snot". That is what it looks like to me when you pull it out of the water.

SHigSpeed
12-16-2009, 02:13 PM
I am doing a variation on my wiggle tail that I tested this weekend. It definitely works and will be a main fly in my box for stillwater. It is called "Frog snot". That is what it looks like to me when you pull it out of the water.

You still need to post up pics Scott! Gotta see this hot new craft store material.

_SHig

Hairstacker
12-16-2009, 06:37 PM
Scott, you know, when you come up with a new pattern, it's always a challenge to come up with a name for it and then you wonder if someone else has already used that name . . . I suspect you won't have either problem. :lol:

jburge
12-17-2009, 08:51 PM
Received the Fox Poopah's today from "nrvi." Nice job! Thanks!

Y'all are gonna love these flies.

John

Mrs.Finsallaround
12-22-2009, 07:02 AM
Bead Head Flashback pheasant tails will be ready to mail today 8)...

Need an address :nod:.

Mrs.Finsallaround
12-22-2009, 07:30 AM
1. jburge - Sloan's Mighty Mite
2. Hairstacker - TBD
3. WoolyBugger - Dark Lord
4. Scott V - Frog Snot
5. Guppy - Bird's Nest
6. gene goss - Pink? Wiggle Tail
7. flounder - Prince Nymph
8. CODY - TBD
9. slage - TBD
10. nrvi - Fox's Poopah - RECEIVED
11. Mrs.Finsallaround - Bead Head Flashback Pheasant Tail
12. troutbm - Hare's Ear Emerger

So, since I'm making "tags" for me, if you three "TBD's" will name your flies, I'll make tags for all of them... ;)

jburge
12-22-2009, 09:17 AM
So, since I'm making "tags" for me, if you three "TBD's" will name your flies, I'll make tags for all of them... ;)

Wow! That's an incredibly generous offer. Y'all ought to take her up on this ;-)

And Robin, sent you a PM.

John

troutbm
12-22-2009, 07:21 PM
What is a "tag". Hope to have mine done by friday at the latest. Was half done then I went and used em up.

jburge
12-23-2009, 07:38 AM
What is a "tag". Hope to have mine done by friday at the latest. Was half done then I went and used em up.

Well if they're working, that's a real good sign ;-)

A "toe tag" is a little strip of paper with the name of the fly, your online name (optional email too so that other tiers can email you for tying instructions), and the name of the swap, "Ultimate Subsurface Trout Collection." You can just slip it over the hook.

John

gene goss
12-23-2009, 08:14 AM
Robin if your doing tags, then you can call mine a multiple color wiggle tail......thanks

Ben Kobrin
12-24-2009, 03:31 PM
It's taking me a bit longer that I had hoped, but I'm getting through these little guys a few at a time. I hope to have them in the mail next week. I will apologize ahead of time for the crappy quality of the dark brown biots that I am using for a tail. I went through a few packages of them trying to find ones that didn't look all chewed up...as you can tell, no luck. If I manage to find some good ones soon I'll tie you guys up a new batch. Otherwise, you're stuck with these.

SIZE 18 DARK LORD

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j35/lazychuck1/DSC_0594.jpg

-Ben

Scott V
12-24-2009, 07:54 PM
I do not know if I can fish with that subpar of a fly Ben. It looks like it will only be good for twenty or so fish. :)

looks like a winner to me.

jburge
12-25-2009, 09:26 AM
Ben,

That's a great looking fly! Sent you my address.

John

Hairstacker
12-25-2009, 09:50 AM
Ben, if you hadn't blown it up in a photograph, we probably wouldn't have even noticed. :lol:

Nice tie! =D>

Ben Kobrin
12-25-2009, 09:30 PM
Ben, if you hadn't blown it up in a photograph, we probably wouldn't have even noticed. :lol:

You're absolutely right...but once I saw it I couldn't stand the way it looked! I managed to get my hands on some better stuff so I'm in the process of replacing the ugly ones. Don't worry, I'll keep them for myself as I'm sure the fish don't know the difference!

Ben Kobrin
12-31-2009, 05:11 PM
The rest is up to the USPS. I look forward to seeing everyone's flies. Please have a SAFE and HAPPY New Year!

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j35/lazychuck1/DSC_0960.jpg

-Ben

jburge
01-06-2010, 07:54 AM
Hey all, just a friendly reminder that the January 11 due date is just around the corner. By now, each of you should have my mailing address (PM me if you didn't receive it). If you don't think you'll be able to finish on time, or maybe need a little extra time, please let me know.

I know of several folks who have their flies in the mail. Just a heads up... they haven't arrived yet. I'm hoping it's just a "seasonal" USPS delay.

And, oh yeah... Happy New Year!

John

Mrs.Finsallaround
01-06-2010, 11:01 AM
Mine will be in the mail tomorrow... :-\"

Been done for a while :-$.... but, I'm a terrible procrastinator :nod:

jburge
01-06-2010, 05:28 PM
Mine will be in the mail tomorrow... :-\"

Been done for a while :-$.... but, I'm a terrible procrastinator :nod:

It's not "procrastination," it's called "catching steelies" ;-)

John

Hairstacker
01-06-2010, 06:24 PM
I mailed mine at lunchtime today. :)

gene goss
01-07-2010, 05:58 PM
Ok.......Flies are in the mail

jburge
01-07-2010, 11:14 PM
Yee ha, boys and girls. You're gonna love these flies! Received both Hairstacker's (Mike) Zug Bugs and WoolyBugger's (Ben) Dark Lords. Wow! Can't wait to see more. Thanks!

John

Hairstacker
01-08-2010, 10:24 AM
John, I assume you're referring to the Dark Lords. :lol:

I debated with myself on how to tie those Zug Bugs, particularly since I've never actually seen one in person. It came down to whether to (i) simply wrap the herl around the hook to make them look fluffy and pretty or (2) to braid the herl around the thread and wrap the resulting braid to make the fly much more durable but less pretty. I chose the latter, as I'm presuming (actually hoping :D) these flies will be fished.

In any event, nothing would please me more than to subsequently hear folks fished 'em and caught fish. Swaps are great and fun and all, but sometimes I wished we got more feedback when the flies were actually used to catch fish. Do you guys ever think that way?

jburge
01-08-2010, 08:12 PM
In any event, nothing would please me more than to subsequently hear folks fished 'em and caught fish. Swaps are great and fun and all, but sometimes I wished we got more feedback when the flies were actually used to catch fish. Do you guys ever think that way?

I don't know about the others, but I certainly plan on fishing them. And you're right Mike, it would be really cool to hear that others are using flies you tied to catch fish. For me, it's really rewarding to catch a fish on a fly I tied, but satisfaction goes up another level when somebody else has the pleasure of getting a fish to net on something I made for them :-D

BTW, received the Bead Head Flashback Pheasant Tails from Mrs.Finsallaround (Robin), as well as the MultiColored Wiggle Tails from gene goss. Y'all are going to LOVE this collection! These flies are beautiful. We gotta make sure to fish 'em ;-)

John

And Robin, wow! Great job on all the tags.

Scott V
01-08-2010, 09:45 PM
Mine are done and will be in the mail tomorrow. Frog snot for everyone. Just so you know I tie the most simple flies this one is only two materials, but so far it has worked great.

Mrs.Finsallaround
01-09-2010, 09:11 AM
it would be really cool to hear that others are using flies you tied to catch fish. For me, it's really rewarding to catch a fish on a fly I tied, but satisfaction goes up another level when somebody else has the pleasure of getting a fish to net on something I made for them :-D

Year before last, I worked the GBF booth at the Salmon Festival, helping kids to tie woolybuggers... The following April, at the Kiene's Expo, one of the kids I had helped found me to tell me he'd fished the fly I helped him to learn to tie and he'd caught some great fish on it.... It was VERY cool :grin:

jburge
01-12-2010, 07:06 AM
Alrighty, we're "officially" (as official as these things get) at the due date and I've posted the latest status on the first page of this thread. There are several folks who've contacted me to let me know the flies are in the mail, so as soon as I receive them, I can get to work on sorting and returning. I've contacted those I haven't heard from yet. I'll keep y'all up to date on what I know and when I can turn these flies around back to you. Thanks!

John

Hairstacker
01-12-2010, 01:37 PM
John, I was just reviewing your update on page 1 and noticed you have me down for the "Slug Bug." Now I know my Zug Bugs can easily be mistaken for the typically more chaotic, haphazardly executed Slug Bug pattern but I had in fact intended to tie Zug Bugs. :lol::lol::lol:

jburge
01-12-2010, 03:09 PM
John, I was just reviewing your update on page 1 and noticed you have me down for the "Slug Bug."

Mike,

There's no way your Zug Bug could be mistaken for the "Slug Bug" that immediately comes to my mind. I spent way too many years playing the Slug Bug game with my daughter in the car -- you yell it out every time you see a Volkswagen beetle. Let's see... what weight rod would you need to cast a fly THAT big?! :-D

Got it fixed, sorry about that!

John

Hairstacker
01-12-2010, 04:29 PM
No big deal, I got a kick out of it. :lol:

Scott V
01-12-2010, 06:58 PM
If we are going to get picky about names, my fly is called "Frog Snot" it is not a olive wiggle tail.

Mrs.Finsallaround
01-12-2010, 10:57 PM
Hope we get them soon... I've got a fish-out on the Yuba River in February that I plan to use a few of these babies on!\\:D/

jburge
01-13-2010, 11:03 AM
Hope we get them soon... I've got a fish-out on the Yuba River in February that I plan to use a few of these babies on!\\:D/

Still waiting on the flies that are "coming." Nothing was in the mail yesterday. I did hear back from CODY, and he had to drop out. Totally understandable when life circumstances come up. Haven't heard back from troutbm yet. As soon as I get all the flies in I'll turn 'em around as fast as I can. Robin, we gotta get you back on the water ;-)

BTW, what do y'all want to do with the extra flies? Not a big deal for me to return 'em to you.

Thanks!

John

Oh, and Scott... you're officially in with "Frog Snot." :-D

Mrs.Finsallaround
01-13-2010, 11:08 AM
BTW, what do y'all want to do with the extra flies? Not a big deal for me to return 'em to you.

If nobody wants their extras back, I'm happy to take them as a donation to the GBF annual dinner raffle/auction :unibrow:... 90% of the proceeds goes to our conservation budget. :D

Scott V
01-13-2010, 11:31 AM
I am more than willing to donate my extras to Robin for the fund raiser.

Ben Kobrin
01-13-2010, 11:32 AM
If nobody wants their extras back, I'm happy to take them as a donation to the GBF annual dinner raffle/auction :unibrow:... 90% of the proceeds goes to our conservation budget. :D

I can't imagine anyone wanting to pay for my flies...but give it a shot!!! Also, John, if it's not too much trouble please include the 12th fly that was going to come back to me in the donation group as well (does that make sense?)

-Ben

Hairstacker
01-13-2010, 12:49 PM
I am more than willing to donate my extras to Robin for the fund raiser.

Same here. :)

nrvi
01-13-2010, 01:49 PM
ditto.........

jburge
01-13-2010, 10:30 PM

Fine by me Robin, and it sounds like a lot of others are behind it too.

Received some beautiful flies from slage and flounder today, so we're getting a lot closer. Thanks to all. This is going to be a nice set.

John

Garrett S
01-13-2010, 10:37 PM
You can donate my fly to robin also

gene goss
01-14-2010, 08:16 AM
If i counted right.....you can donate mine.

Mrs.Finsallaround
01-14-2010, 11:10 AM
Thanks guys... You are awesome! :thumbsup:

You'd be surprised what some people will pay for flies when they don't want to or can't tie them themselves! :-\"

So, should they be titled:

"The Ultimate Trout Collection" by Members of Kiene's BB?

jburge
01-15-2010, 07:33 AM
So, should they be titled:

"The Ultimate Trout Collection" by Members of Kiene's BB?

Maybe "Ultimate Subsurface Trout Collection by Members of Kiene's BB"? since we started with that list? (Feel free to call it whatever you want ;-) )

Guppy's Bird's Nests arrived yesterday. Sweet! Great job Gup. These are going to be killer.

If it's alright with y'all as soon as Scott's Snot (could that be a new fly name???) gets here I'm going to go ahead and sort these out so I can get 'em back to you. Still haven't heard back from troutbm, so I'm going to assume he's out. That would mean you get 10 flies back and the extras go to Robin for the fundraiser. Everybody alright with that, or did anybody want their own back?

Thanks!

John

jburge
01-15-2010, 04:58 PM
It's that time! Got Scotty's flies in the mail today. Way cool! You gotta tell me what that body material is. And, I can definitely see why you'd call it "Frog Snot." :-D

I'll get on this right away and turn the flies around for everybody ASAP. I'll need to take a little extra time to put toe tags on the flies that don't have 'em using Robin's impressive set of label tags. My plan is to make sure you can fish these by next weekend.

Thanks all!

John

BTW, I plan on taking pix and posting so we can all sit back and admire ;-)

Mrs.Finsallaround
01-15-2010, 05:01 PM
YAY! =D>

slage
01-16-2010, 12:29 AM
Just to make it official, donate 'em.

Thanks again for hosting John.

Can't wait to get them back!

jburge
01-17-2010, 03:05 PM
Just to make it official...

I've packaged everything up and it will all go in the mail tomorrow. Please let us all know that you've received your flies.

Everybody who tied 12 will get one of their own back, plus Robin will get two extras. Robin, you ended up with 3 of everything so you can make the fundraiser a big one :-D

I will link photos in a separate post. And I thank you all for participating. I think we'll all definitely end up with a great set of flies, and be sure to post when you've been fishing with one of these and how you've done.

John

jburge
01-17-2010, 03:07 PM
Zug Bug
http://www.takeahike.us.com/flies/swap/IMG_3444.JPG

Dark Lord
http://www.takeahike.us.com/flies/swap/IMG_3440.JPG

Frog Snot
http://www.takeahike.us.com/flies/swap/IMG_3452.JPG

Bird's Nest
http://www.takeahike.us.com/flies/swap/IMG_3451.JPG

Multi Color Wiggle Tail
http://www.takeahike.us.com/flies/swap/IMG_3442.JPG

Bead Head Flashback Pheasant tail
http://www.takeahike.us.com/flies/swap/IMG_3437.JPG

Prince Nymph
http://www.takeahike.us.com/flies/swap/IMG_3447.JPG

S. Fork Special
http://www.takeahike.us.com/flies/swap/IMG_3449.JPG

Fox's Poopah
http://www.takeahike.us.com/flies/swap/IMG_3439.JPG

Sloan's Mighty Mite
http://www.takeahike.us.com/flies/swap/IMG_3435.JPG

Scott V
01-17-2010, 03:23 PM
Those are all some nice looking flies and I will fish each one. I plan on using a different one each time I go out and will use it first. Nice flies everyone!!!=D>

Garrett S
01-20-2010, 06:00 PM
I got my flies today, they all look great. I cant wait to get back on the water and use them!

Mrs.Finsallaround
01-20-2010, 07:32 PM
Got mine too! Woo Hoooooo! \\:D/

nrvi
01-21-2010, 07:51 AM
Wow...good job all, I can't wait to get em wet. Thanks Jburge for hosting whens the next one?

Hairstacker
01-22-2010, 09:11 AM
Got my flies yesterday! Always fun to get a box of flies in the mail. \\:D/ Thank you everyone and especially John for hosting!

With all this cold lousy weather, I'm looking forward to the next swap too -- anyone interested in hosting one?

Ben Kobrin
01-22-2010, 11:25 AM
Mine came yesterday as well. Great job all!

I took a slightly different approach to this swap. In the past I have HATED working with biots. When it came time to choose a fly I naturally wanted to tie something that I was already familiar with and felt confident in. Instead, I resisted that urge and signed up to tie a pattern that called for not one, but two sets of biots. About 25 size 18 Dark Lords later I feel much better about my ability to work with them. There is still room for improvement, but at least it is no longer a weak point. It was very rewarding to use this swap in the way I believe swaps were intended: to improve my tying.

That being said....I'll take on the hosting duties for the next one as long as everyone is willing to play by my rules! I'm going to call it the I-Hate-To-Tie-This-Fly FLY SWAP.

Please see the new thread for details.

Hairstacker
01-22-2010, 02:35 PM
Woolybugger, I hear ya -- biots are one of those materials that can drive you batty. That said, your Dark Lords came out great!

flounder
01-22-2010, 11:29 PM
Thanks for hosting John. I got mine in the mail too. It was my first swap and I can' wait to try the flies. Thanks everyone.

-flounder