PDA

View Full Version : Beulah Surf Rod

Terry Thomas
11-27-2009, 10:58 AM
I purchased the Beulah 7/8 Surf Rod last summer with the intentions of using it this season on Eagle and Pyramid Lakes. I have had two sessions so far on Eagle Lake and I am quite impressed with the rod's performance. The Surf Rods were designed for the windy surf conditions where longer casts can be required. I figured that this combination might also work in our winter conditions on two of my favorite lakes. These are not the same tapers as on the Beulah Switch Rods. I think they are a little faster with more power in the butt section. I found that I can cast further with the rod, however, the ability to make longer casts in heavy winds was my most surprising find in this rod. I set the rod up with Rio Outbound Short WF-10 lines. In the mornings I fished a full floater and after the sun was up I fished O.S. with an intermediate tip. The O.B.-S. with the intermediate tip really pushes through the wind. I haven't tried to fish any sinking lines with the rod yet. For Pyramid, I think I will try the Outbound Short WF-10 with a type 6 tip. With slow strips I think this should keep the line on the bottom. Only testing will tell for sure. I do know that standing on a ladder and casting this rod will be a lot of fun. Using two hands when casting all day seems to lighten the pressure on my old body. Anyway, I thing it's a pretty nice rod that can be used in conditions other than the surf.

jbird
11-27-2009, 08:16 PM
Terry

Tho I havent fished these rods I have dry cast them quite a bit. Everytime I go over to Shaughnessys house he drags me out to the street to cast them :-). He always has them set up with shooting heads w some kind of mono running line. Absolutely awesome rods!

OceanSunfish
11-30-2009, 12:25 AM
I enjoy Terry's insight.

Are you casting traditional single hand style or are you employing some kind of modfied spey/roll?

What is the length of the subject rod?

The #10 OBS is 435 gr which must load that rod nicely.

Thanks.

jbird
11-30-2009, 08:55 AM
http://www.beulahflyrods.com/products/surfrods/index.php

Terry Thomas
11-30-2009, 10:04 AM
The rod is 11ft. in length and is cast in a traditional overhand fashion, just with two hands instead of one hand. You can fire those casts out there quite a ways.
Terry

OceanSunfish
11-30-2009, 12:14 PM
Thanks again.

The possible uses of these rods are endless. However, the intended use is big boost to norcal surf fisherman and could very well allow for an intense growth of norcal surf fly fishing, especially for stripers during the summer migration.