PDA

View Full Version : Old plueger reels questions

Big Jim
11-26-2009, 01:46 AM
I recently re-discovered a box of old fishing stuff that I got from my dad a while back, in it were a couple old pflueger medalists, which I love - simple, failrly light, hold lots of line, nice click. Also in there was a beautiful red Pflueger Deluxe Nobby model 1960 level wind reel from the late 1950's. Very cool looking piece of machinery. I want to take it out and play around with it. As far as I can tell, it has no free-spool setting and thus when cast, the handle would turn as the line went out... does this seem right? it does have a knob on the side which has "on" written on it and an arrow pointing clockwise which, when turned a full revolution, makes a single click sound but seems to do nothing else. It also has knurled knobs on either side of the spool in line with the center shaft which seem to either lock the spool or not, with no in between setting... I am wondering if this was the drag and is just inoperative now? Clearly I have no experience with conventional reels and am wondering if anyone on the board might be able to clue me in. Also, would I spool up straight mono on this reel, or some type of braid with a mono leader? The handle is on the right, which is not where I would want it to be... could this be reversed?

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Jim

troutnut@pacbell.net
11-26-2009, 07:04 AM
It is a direct drive reel, no drag, your "educated" thumb provided the drag and anti-backlash. Very common back then. The "on" lever is for the clicker, it let bait anglers know a fish had their worm.

If it was me and I was going to fish the reel, I would spool it with some 12 lb dacron and 8-10 feet of a mono or fluorocarbon 6 lb - 8lb leader. You need to find a slow to moderate action rod (old school), it will be tough to use that reel with new fast rod technologies. Don't expect to cast real far with that reel, they don't. That is why modern casting reels freespool. 50 feet is about max to expect. If you've never cast one of those old reel, spool up some 30 lb dacron on it first, it is easier to get the "feel" with bigger line.

Darian
11-26-2009, 09:15 AM
If the reel has a level wind feature (common in those older reels), pay attention to lubricating to gear. That's where a lot of those older reels fail first.

In addition to lowered expectations in casting distance, you'll probably need to make sure you use fairy heavy baits (lures) to cast that distance. Think wood or plastics. Todays lighter lures probably won't provide enough weight to make the spool start revolving....

I still have a couple of Langley Reelcast, revolving spool reels. Still usable but I retired many years ago. Bought 'em in the '50s. They're interesting antiques.

lee s.
11-26-2009, 09:45 AM
That was/IS our fav reel if ever we toss gear for steelheads or salmon. GRAND reels, for sure.
Garcia had a small direct drive also which was great, but less capacity.....a desired feature for river kings
When we did fish that way, we tried Shimano and Garcias and some other "drag" reels. Drag reels DO NOT provide the same "hands on" feel of direct drive. .
....lee s.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
11-26-2009, 10:36 AM
Troutnut, Darian, Lee S and I are all over 60 years old because that is what it would take to know about these old reels.

I had one of those old Pflueger Supreme direct-drive level-wind bait casting reels with no drag but your thumb. I also had the newer model that had the star drag too.

I gave the direct-drive to guide Craig Ziegler who used it up on the Oregon coast for Steelhead and salmon.

Bob Giannoni still has his with the original rod too. He grew up fishing Steelhead on the CA North Coast with it.

They were used a lot before the spinning reels came over here from Europe after WWII. They were used for salmon and steelhead on the west coast plus they were popular for bass and pike fishing.

After WWII we got the spinning reels, fiberglass rods and nylon monofilament line. Big brake through.

I would say that the old Pflueger Supreme level-wind direct-drive bait casting reel epitomizes the extreme quality of products that was produced in the USA between WWI and WWII.

Big Jim
11-26-2009, 11:19 PM
I enjoy hearing these stories... and the feedback on the reel itself. I know my dad used it alot - he would have been in his twenties when it came out in 1957. By the time I came along (only 47yrs ago) we used spinning reels in the salt and fly gear in freshwater, so I never cast on of these reels. As Bill says, it is beautifully made. I am going to try and attach a link to some pictures someone has in an ebay posting. By the troutnut, there is a separate button for the clicker...the one that says "on" is still a mystery, You might be able to see it in the pictures: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?VISuperSize&item=170412212654

Jim

Black Cloud
11-27-2009, 05:40 PM
Interesting thread. I have some old reels that came from a family friend . The first is a Shakespeare Service 1944, #2 is a Shakespeare Direct Drive No.1924, #3 is a Heddon Pal P.41 , two of them still have braided line on them. These reels are really solid, made in the USA. Anyone have any information on them?