PDA

View Full Version : A Fare-Well to Guiding on the Fly

Ryan Miller
11-25-2009, 08:45 PM
Monday the 23rd of November marked my last day of guiding (period). Over the past 8 years I have had some of the greatest experiences a person could asked for. I have seen incredible places, met amazing people and caught countless spectacular fish.

The one thing I will miss most about this job is the people that I have encountered. The wonderful people I have met have truly helped to shape me as I go through life's mold. Every single day and every single client had something to offer and learn from. I have become very close friends with many of you and hope that never changes.

Both Bill and Marilyn Kiene are some of my favorite people. They both have huge hearts and a desire to see other people succeed. Even though I only knew them for a few years they opened their doors to me and did everything they could to help me succeed. In addition to the two behind the scene was their incredible staff. I feel blessed to have met and fish with most of them. I have been in shops all over the place and this one is by far second to none. My hat is off to everyone under the Kiene's umbrella and I could not have done it without you.

Another huge thanks goes out to Keith Kaneko of Angling On The Fly who has his office in the back of Kiene's. Keith is one of the hardest working people I know. Whether guiding or making your travel dreams come true he does the best job humanly possible. Thanks for providing me the opportunities of a lifetime.

It has been my pleasure to guide you all on our local water and share with you some of the best fishing in the world. Every ounce my being loves being a fly fishing guide and watching people catch fish that make memories.

It makes me smile to know that many of you have photos on your desk, computer and at home of days spent on the water with me. I have over 7,000 pictures of fish from guided trips alone and I can remember each client and each fish like it was yesterday.

As for any other guides, outfitters, lodges and other industry folks out there it was a pleasure working with and for you. I worked with some of the best human beings on this planet and many of them helped me to get where I am today.

Being a fly fishing guide was always more to me than just showing people a good time on the river. Fly fishing is a way of life and all I can say is thank you for being part of my life.

As long as I live I will charrish the memories we created.

What's next? I am moving to Dallas, Texas to be with Amanda and start a new life. We are now engaged (as of yesterday) and will be driving to TX on the 29th of this month. We are both very excited to be together and stomp out our footprint in the soil of the real world. I will be seeking employment in the private sector and hope to explore the world of marketing.

Thanks again for everything and I will continue to read and contribute to the fine community of anglers.

Sincerely,
Ryan H. Miller

Darian
11-25-2009, 09:05 PM
Ryan,.... I never had the chance to fish with you but we did meet once in Keith's office. Our loss is Texas gain. Here's wishing you and your bride to be have endless health and wealth.... :D :D :D :D

Jet
11-25-2009, 11:41 PM
Hey Ryan it was great getting to know you. Joey is going to miss you. We had a great time at your clinics and especially Down Stream. You did plant a Spey seed in Joey. Best of luck in your future endeavors and congrats on your engagement.

Tight Lines,

Joe

Bill Kiene semi-retired
11-26-2009, 12:01 AM
I don't think we will see the last of you old buddy.

Good luck on your next big andventure.

Bill & Marilyn Kiene

jayclarkflyfishing
11-26-2009, 01:37 AM
Ryan-
Congrats on the engagement and the best of luck with your new endeavor!We never had the chance to meet but I read your blog and followed your posts on this message board and I truly appreciate your passion for fly fishing.Best of luck!

Jay

Jaybinder
11-26-2009, 05:49 AM
Thanks for the great day on the Yuba. Eric and I had a great time. Good luck!

Jason

k.hanley
11-26-2009, 08:51 AM
Proud of you bud. I wish you and Amanda the very best!
Cheers, Ken

jbird
11-26-2009, 08:58 AM
Ryan

What a classy post! I always appreciated your contributions here and you made me quite jealous with your incredible adventures.
Good luck in this new chapter of your life and dont forget to check in with us here from time to time. I am sure you will discover some very productive fisheries in Texas.
Congrats on your engagement!

Jay

Bob Laskodi
11-26-2009, 10:08 AM
Ryan, I am both happy and sad at the moment. Happy that you get to pursue your life with a great woman, and sad that you no longer will be fishing CA. I only got to fish with you on three trips, but those few days were interesting and wonderful. Here's a memory for you from me & Chris!!! Good luck in your future life!!!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/laskodi/dd9cd644.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/laskodi/641d91c2.jpg

BobVP
11-26-2009, 10:14 AM
Ryan,

As another that has never had the pleasure of meeting you I must say I have also enjoyed and appreciated your posts.

Good luck in your new life together.

Robert

Anne Vitale
11-26-2009, 11:10 AM
Congratulations....I wish you and Amanda the very best in your new life together.

Although we have never fished together, I always enjoyed checking the back room at Kiene's and finding you there to chat with. I guess the closest we ever came to fishing together was meeting up with you, Keith and Dan Blanton at a rest stop in the middle of the Yucatan jungle to swap vans. Ken Hanley was there as well. As you said great people and exotic places make fly fishing the wonder that it is.

Ciao....Anne

Keith Kaneko
11-27-2009, 10:17 AM
Ryan,

You have lived and closed this chapter of your life with class, respect, and gratitude... these qualities will open up opportunities for you and "guide" you well in your future career endeavors.

It was great to work with you in many different capacities (guiding, travel, events, etc...) at Angling On The Fly, Kiene's Fly Shop, Downstream, etc... I appreciate your dedicated work in travel and will surely miss guiding on the local waters with you.

I wish you and Amanda all the best and look forward to your return visits to CA. And finally, a BIG congrats to you and Amanda on your engagement... what an exciting time in your lives! Take care, travel safe, and keep on fishing (warm-water, I guess now ;-) )

Best Regards,
Keith

BigOkieWhiteBoy916
11-28-2009, 04:01 AM
Congrats Ryan! I wish you all the best!

George

Hairstacker
11-28-2009, 10:25 AM
Ryan, best wishes to you and your fiance! Sounds like you are on the cusp of your next grand adventure.

We never got a chance to fish together unfortunately (my loss :(), but I think you're going to enjoy the Dallas/Fort Worth area . . . lots to do and you'll be surrounded by lakes and other warmwater fisheries.

You might want to check out these fellas . . . this is a very prominent Texas fishing board and it has fly fishing subforums as well:

http://texasfishingforum.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/forum_summary

Anyway, good luck and please pipe in here from time to time with pictures of your warmwater fly patterns and some of those big Texas bass. :D

Craig Nielsen
11-28-2009, 08:55 PM
Ryan:
Your good work and incredible spirit will be missed. I very much enjoyed fishing with you and comparing notes, you always offered an upbeat and informed perspective.
Congratulations on your engagement, she is a lucky lady indeed. Wishing you the very best in your new adventures. I hope and expect we will soon cross paths again. Until then do stay in touch and take good care.

STEELIES/26c3
11-29-2009, 10:37 PM
This news comes as a shocker...

You've either gone mad or Amanda is one helluva wonderful woman (likely, both).

You were one of the few anglers who spent as much time on or in the river as I do...

I'm not sure how one severs the strands to which his life is so inextricably intertwined with such decisiveness but I suppose change is good and you have your reasons...

Texas is a good place to be. All of my family is from there and many of my kinfolk still live there.

Stripers, white bass and wipers or 'hybrids' as they call 'em... are plentiful there and not too many people fling flies at 'em so... there ya' go.

I always appreciated your open-minded approach to fishing and that you never came off as an elitist, holier-than-thou type in the midst of my gear-slingin' buds and I on the river.

I wish you all the best in your future endeavors~:)

Happy Trails
Mark

aaron
11-30-2009, 09:46 PM
Congrats dude, got kicked out of Joe's last night in your honor.

jlmelend
11-30-2009, 11:53 PM
NNNNOOOOOOOO! DDDDOOOOOOON't LEEEEEAAAAAAVE! WHo's going to show me where the fish are? COngrats bud and congrats to Amanda. Not only am I impressed that she knows Lacrosse and Hockey, but she gets to marry Killer Miller! You know where to find me next time your eye swells up!

dbrosier
12-01-2009, 11:17 AM
May you always be in sync with the Grand Eternal Woo.

http://vidmg.photobucket.com/albums/v195/dbrosier/Skeena/th_MVI_1245.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v195/dbrosier/Skeena/?action=view&current=MVI_1245.flv)

See you Downstream.

Ryan Miller
12-01-2009, 12:41 PM
Words can't come close to expressing my gratitude for all of your wishes and farewells. After a major 2-day burn we arrived in Dallas this AM and now I know that this is all actually happening. I am excited to start exploring the area, prospect for employment and spending time with Amanda.

For those of you I never had the chance to guide I am sure we would have had a great time trying to catch fish. As for the people that I have guided, I will be staying in touch with you.

Even though words don't cut it, thank you.

Ryan