PDA

View Full Version : Lake fishing from drift boat?

Specc
11-22-2009, 07:20 PM
Heys guys, I'm new to the board and really like what I see. I am starting to think about buying a boat, and need some feed back. I'm dreaming of getting a drift boat, but don't know how justified it would be since the closest river I would be able to float is the Yuba, which is a few hours or more from Reno area where I live. I've seen guys on lakes with drift boats and they look like it would fun to fish from one on the still waters. Do you think they could handle Sierra lakes like Davis, Frenchmans, etc. Or should I shoot for a regular boat to get me around lakes and stick with wade fishing the rivers.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
11-23-2009, 09:25 AM
In Oregon and Montana you see drift boats on lakes because that is what people have.

Drift boat are probably good for lakes but you can run around a lot.

If you want to fish the lakes more and maybe the delta for Stripers I would go for an outboard skiff.

If you like floating streams more you could get a drift boat for the Lower American, lower Yuba, lower Feather and lower Sacramento rivers in Nor Cal.

I guess most drift boat blow around in the wind on lakes?

Also, they have no floatation so if they get swamped they can sink to the bottom?

Hairstacker
11-23-2009, 10:43 AM
Specc, I don't know the answer to your question but just wanted to welcome you aboard!

pgw
11-23-2009, 02:16 PM
Drift Boats work well on lakes...1st lake on which I fished from one was Hebgen, more room than a pram, more comfortable than a float tube or pontoon, and, if you have it registered (and the body of water allows it) a drift boat can be propelled by a motor (gas or electric).

Paul

Specc
11-23-2009, 10:15 PM
Thanks for the welcome and the input guys. I'm only a few years into my fly fishing, and just starting to realize all the possibilities over the hill in Nor Cal. Steelhead, Stripers, the Delta....decisions, decisions. I keep telling my wife this is only the begining.

Bill Siska
12-03-2009, 10:26 AM
I would suggest that you actually try out a drift boat on a lake or open water before you buy one for use on lakes. I recently sold my drift boat and found its performance on lakes to be totally unacceptable. I had it on Indian Creek Res once and even when the mildest breeze came up I was unable to control the boat with oars. I had all I could do to avoid running into float tubers who seemed to have no problem at all in the breeze. My boat had a high stern and was by no means low profile. The stern and high sides behave like a sail. The only thing that worked well with any kind of breeze was the anchor.

I didnt have a motor on the boat but I think that even with a motor it would be very difficult to control the boat in the wind. My boat had a flat rockered bottom and no keel or chimes to help it track in a straight line so even a slight breeze would blow it off course and make steering very difficult.

I've seen a lot of drift boats on lakes in Oregon but I think the main reason they are used on lakes is that its their only boat or they had no luck on the river and their other boat is 100 miles away at home.

Finsane
12-04-2009, 07:08 AM
Check with the manufacturer. I believe most advise against taking Drift Boats on lakes.

Has anyone ever seen one on Pyrmiad??

Fats
12-04-2009, 07:12 AM
The wind poses an issue for drift boats on lakes. The boats don't have a keep fin, and the higher sides do catch the wind something fierce. If you can get past that they are a great casting platform, but they have their limitations... as do tubes, u-boats, pontoon boats, prams etc.

The drift boat is designed for moving water... they are very good for that!

huntindog
12-04-2009, 07:39 AM
I have used drift boats on a lake and it is a pain in the arse...not easy to move them any distance and the wind makes controlling them real tough...buy an aluminum bass style boat with a jet outdrive...fish anywhere you want.

JWarner
12-04-2009, 05:33 PM
Thanks for the welcome and the input guys. I'm only a few years into my fly fishing, and just starting to realize all the possibilities over the hill in Nor Cal. Steelhead, Stripers, the Delta....decisions, decisions. I keep telling my wife this is only the begining.

I hate to say this, but what you are telling your wife is exactly right.............It is only the begining. There is no one boat fits all, but to do it right you may need 5 boats. Let's see.... float tube, pontoon boat, jet sled, drift boat, deep vee for rough conditions or salt water fishing. But I think the closest is the striper sniper for doing most of the fishing we are talking about.
Check out Hatch's pictures of his new boat.(Very nice) I even called Sutter Marine for a quote.

Jeff

Specc
12-05-2009, 09:50 AM
Thanks guys. I see what you mean about 5 boats....I have a pontoon I've been fishing out of, and am wanting a float tube for even better portably and ease. I'm thinking of a regular boat for the lakes is probably best, and a drift boat down the line. Oh yeah, does the chair I built for Pyramid count as half a boat? Lets see, that makes......