PDA

View Full Version : Senators Response

Darian
11-18-2009, 10:43 PM
Following is the response of US Senator Dianne Feinstein to an e-mail note I sent so long ago I forgot when. The subject is the Water Package. I offer no commentary but it's here for your information:

Dear Mr. Calhoun:

Thank you for writing to express your support for the biological opinions that govern water flows in the Sacramento-San Joaquin Delta. I appreciate hearing your thoughts in this issue, and I welcome the opportunity to respond.

As you know, in June 2009, the National Marine Fisheries Service released a biological opinion on the impact of Federal and State water projects in the Delta. The Agency found that endangered species are jeopardized by the current water projects and that to avoid the extinction of these endangered species, further restrictions on pumping next spring will be necessary.

I understand your concern that pumping water south will negatively impact the Delta ecosystem, and I agree that restoring the Delta is critical to improving California's water quality and supply, preventing flooding and protecting threatened species. As you may know, I have secured funding for the Secretary of the Interior to commission an independent scientific study by the National Academy of Sciences to review the current pumping restrictions in the Delta. I support an independent review by the National Academy in part because 13 lawsuits have been filed against the federal government in an attempt to have the biological opinions that restrict water pumping from the Delta overturned. These lawsuits could delay efforts to restore the Delta ecosystem and complicate efforts to address California's water crisis.

In my view, the National Academy study should assess whether the pumping restrictions are fully supported by the best available science and whether there are other ways to provide protections for endangered species while supplying more water to the drought-stricken Central Valley. The scientists should also look at the effects of other stressors in the Delta, including pesticides and ammonia discharges, and whether it would be appropriate to reexamine the biological opinions. I believe that the review will help settle questions about whether more water can be pumped to California's struggling agricultural communities without jeopardizing endangered or threatened fish or violating the Endangered Species Act.

In the face of climate change, drought and population growth, the status quo is no longer sustainable. The drinking water supply for more than 20 million Californians is at risk, the water supply for Central Valley agriculture is unreliable, and the list of threatened and endangered species that rely on the Delta continues to grow. Additionally, the Delta levee system is outdated and insufficient to protect surrounding communities. California has a water infrastructure built for a population of 16 million people, but today our population is rapidly approaching 40 million. The modernization and improvement of our State's water infrastructure is long overdue.

I applaud the California Assembly and Senate for addressing the State's chronic water crisis with the passage of a comprehensive package of five bills, including a water bond, on November 4, 2009. The legislation passed by the State Legislature represents a major milestone, laying the groundwork for a comprehensive, long-term plan to repair the Delta and build the new water infrastructure that is essential to ensuring that California can meet its current and future water needs. It is now time for the voters to approve this critical water bond in order to move forward with the important work that must be done to address California's aging water infrastructure, restore the Delta, and increase the quality and reliability of the State's water supply.

Please know that I will keep your views in mind as I continue working with all concerned stakeholders to find near-term and long-term solutions to address California's water crisis.

Again, thank you for writing. If you have additional questions or concerns, please contact my Washington, D.C. office at (202) 224-3841. Best regards.

Sincerely yours,
Dianne Feinstein
United States Senator