PDA

View Full Version : Lower American River clean-up December 5th

Bill Kiene semi-retired
11-18-2009, 09:52 PM
I just got this email from the California Fly Fishers Unlimited fly club's email news:

__________________________________________________ ________________________

Hi Club Members,
On Saturday, December 5th, CFFU volunteers will perform our first clean-up event along mile 16 (south side) of the American River bikeway. Our Club has signed onto the American River Parkway Foundation’s “Adopt the Parkway” program. Under our agreement with the Foundation, CFFU will walk this stretch of the River four times a year and pick up trash. In return, the Foundation has placed our Club’s name on signs on the River’s bikeway at both ends of our clean-up area. It's like the state's "Adopt a Highway" signs.

On December 5th, we will meet at the parking lot adjacent to the River and at the end of Rossmoor Drive, which runs north from Coloma Road in Rancho Cordova and just up river from Hagen Community Park. I will have free parking tags for all volunteers. If there is someone at the entrance gate, just say you are with the CFFU clean-up group. We will gather at 9:30 a.m. at the parking lot for a short orientation and then walk the mile 16 down river on the south side only of the River. I will have trash bags and other items necessary for the litter patrol. However, you may want to bring a pick-up gadget. The trek should take only 90 minutes, and then we will return to our cars.

I am hoping for a good turn-out so that we can say we are earning the recognition our Club is getting from the signs that all bikeway travelers will see. I will have a sign-up sheet at the December 1st general meeting or you can sign-up at the parking lot. If you cannot spend the time to walk the entire mile, please feel free to walk whatever distance is convenient for you. Be sure to wear clothing appropriate for the weather. If rain is forecast, we will simply do a rain check!

See you on December 5th.

Bill Felts
Conservation Policy Director