PDA

View Full Version : New GoPro

Jay Murakoshi
11-18-2009, 09:19 AM
Just got the my new GoPro camera. A BIG change from the standard camera. First, it has a rechargeable battery that is charged by your computer. Longer filming time. It's a 1080p HD format but can also be set for 5 different venues. If you don't plan on getting the camera wet, it has an interchangeable back so the sound will be picked up more intensified.
It's still a 5 mp and can use up to a 32GB SD or SDHC card. The optics: it has a fixed f2.8 lens, a 170 degree wide angle lens at 720p or 127 degree wide angle at 1080p.

I hope to get out sometime today and shoot some footage of the Kings River and some trout hiding behind the rocks.

I've already sold 5 of the new camera's. If you're interested, send me an email.

Jay

Jay Murakoshi
11-24-2009, 01:07 PM
I shot some footage on the delta yesterday with the new Gopro HD camera. It's like night and day when comparing the old and the new. Color is fantastic, no black spot in the sun and just the overall filming is great. Going in the morning (maybe) to film some footage of "brookies" (yeah, that's a trout)
I'll try and post some of this footage later today

Jay

troutnut@pacbell.net
11-26-2009, 04:31 AM
Those cameras are fantastic! I have been waiting for the HD models to come out. It is on my Santa list. Best part is the waterproof cases. Have you seen the demo videos on their website? http://www.goprocamera.com/video I think I'm getting the surf model, so I can put in on my float tube, kayak,... and video fishing trips. I guess I will have to learn to edit now too, especially my "sailor language". I look forward to your video. Youtube?

Jay Murakoshi
11-26-2009, 10:43 AM
Hey troutnut,

If you get the surf model for your tube, purchase the chest harness that way you'll be able to view everything. Actually they have the naked model, then you can purchase all your attachments separate. I also have a handle bar mount, a suction cup for the side of my pram and made a couple attachments.

Being a new dealer, I hope to get the information on my website before Christmas. I've already sold 6 of the new models.

I hope to get out and film some of the King's River tomorrow, after I fight the crowds at the store. The water is low enough to capture some footage of trout, plus they will start planting the big fish in a couple weeks. I use a telescopic pole for the river shots

You'll enjoy the camera

Jay

speyfool
11-26-2009, 11:15 AM
That looks promising. But... None of the example videos are actually in 1080p HD res. What's up with that? You'd think that if they are trying to show off HD res videos, they'd at least have HD video on their website to view.

EDIT... I actually found some 1080p footage on youTube. Unfortunately, it is hard to tell how good it really is with the compression that YT puts on its video. GoPro should put some high res 1080p Mp4 files on their website, so we can really see what it is capable of.

Also, while checking some reviews. I realize it doesn't have any sort of screen on it to tell what you are shooting. Odd. As impressive as this camera seems to be, that is a pretty glaring drawback.

However, with all of these things said. If you simply want to mount a camera on your person for 1st person video (i.e. no need for zoom in/out or a screen). It is probably a good choice.

troutnut@pacbell.net
11-26-2009, 06:05 PM
Hey troutnut,

If you get the surf model for your tube, purchase the chest harness that way you'll be able to view everything. Actually they have the naked model, then you can purchase all your attachments separate. I also have a handle bar mount, a suction cup for the side of my pram and made a couple attachments.

Being a new dealer, I hope to get the information on my website before Christmas. I've already sold 6 of the new models.

I hope to get out and film some of the King's River tomorrow, after I fight the crowds at the store. The water is low enough to capture some footage of trout, plus they will start planting the big fish in a couple weeks. I use a telescopic pole for the river shots

You'll enjoy the camera

Jay

I like the chest mount, and I think I want the head mount too.

Ever since I saw these Youtube videos by some friends of mine I have been hunting for a waterproof video camera, but serious dive cameras have been out of my price or too bulky. If Santa agrees, I'll send him your way.

GO SEAN!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Adu0viG9gp4

Flyfishing for Roosters in the surf
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Du-PIStnj4o

GREAT SPEAR fishing video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4c1cJwTLE8

Jay Murakoshi
11-27-2009, 12:27 PM
Speyfool,

did you view the video's on the Gopro site. They have the preproduction test videos posted.
I don't use YT because of the bad video production. I have been using Vimeo. I have experimented with both and you can definitely see the difference in quality. Better color, sharper image, etc....
I hope to post some video footage from the Kings River next week and maybe some footage of "brookies"

This camera has 5 different settings: Wide Angel Standard Def 16:9 848x480,
Widest HD Video 16:9@30fps - 720p 1280x720, Widest HD Video 16:9 @60fps - 1280x720, Tallest HD Video 4:3 960p 1280x960, Full HD Video Highest Res. 16:9@30fps 1080p - 1920x1080. It also has 4 different photo mode functions: Video mode, single shot mode,
triple shot mode and photo every "X" seconds mode... "X"-2, 5, 10, 30 and 60 secs.

Jay

speyfool
11-27-2009, 07:24 PM
Hi Jay. I did view the videos on GoPro's site. Unfortunately, none of them are 1080p. Unless I missed one somewhere. Hopefully, as more people use it, there will be more examples available.

Seeya