PDA

View Full Version : I have another question about where to get good weather reports

Digger38
11-17-2009, 03:19 PM
I have been going to accuweather to get most of my weather reports prior to heading out to fish and it's accuracy has been better than most that I have found. I am not sure where to find accurate weather reports for Pyramid Lake. The other day I looked at the weather in Reno and it said 1-5mph winds.....I thought to myself sweet.....it should be beautifull out at Pyramid then......I was soooooo wrong, I get out there and the winds had to be 20+. Any suggestions on where I can look to get more accurate reports specific to Pyramid Lake? Thanks Again guys....

mr. 3 wt.
11-17-2009, 03:59 PM
Can any weather person truly predict the weather?

Pyramid is one of them places that can turn on a dime. Beautiful one minute and literally within a minute or two, can be blowin 30 or 40 mph. Also, Pyramid has a lot of micro weather type things going on at the same time. I fished the southeast end of the lake and it was beautiful and sunny (but fishing sucked) and then drove to the opposite end only to have it rain on me sideways with 4 ft. rollers trying to knock me off the ladder. (fishing was a little better though)

I use accuweather, weather channel and intellicast. They are all similiar. I am usually optomistic and go with the one that is showing the best weather for the day. (not necessarily the best thing to do)

Reno Flytyer
11-17-2009, 04:35 PM
I've found the Nat'l Weather Service to be pretty accurate...typically I fish the eastern Sierra, Northern Washoe County (Nevada), and around Susanville. Their online map allows one to pinpoint the location they'd like the report for. Also, the Crosby Lodge website has a weather cam that shows the lake (a little hard to see how much the wind is blowing however). Their site also links to accuweather.
RFT

Hairstacker
11-17-2009, 04:36 PM
I've said it before: I just don't put much stock in wind reports. Been disappointed too many times in the past, particularly when they said it was going to very windy, only to cancel a trip and find out later it was ideal and calm. ](*,)

Troutstalker55B
11-17-2009, 05:08 PM
NOAA, Reno station for us folks in Plumas County. They are pretty spot on for wind forcasts for Davis, Frenchmans, and Eagle.

JB.

Dabalone
11-17-2009, 05:16 PM
Take 10 of your favorite weather sites .... put their addys on pieces of paper and drop in coffee can .... mix em up, blindfolded reach in and pic one. Go with that one and hope for the best.

Mrs.Finsallaround
11-17-2009, 05:18 PM
We use www.nws.noaa.gov (http://www.nws.noaa.gov). :wink:

DFrink
11-17-2009, 06:51 PM
Get a weather radio, they're cheap and update constantly. I keep one in my truck. The national weather service provides updated reports. Best part is the one I got was about $40 and it has a solar panel that can be used to charge it, a hand crank to run it off of and you can charge a cell phone or other portable device off of it. REI :grin:

jayclarkflyfishing
11-17-2009, 08:20 PM
www.nws.noaa.gov/reno is the best source for weather info for Pyramid.Click on the recreation forcast on the left menu.It gives a detailed 2 day forecast for Tahoe and Pyramid including temperature,windspeed,direction and wave heights.Also click on the pinpoint forecast for Pyramid and you will get a detailed 7 day forecast.If you get really into it look at the Discussion and read the actual forecast discussion from the noaa forecasters.

Jay

Charlie S
11-17-2009, 08:45 PM
Try this: It's about as accurate as any I have used: http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/

gene goss
11-18-2009, 09:29 AM
I use under ground weather it has a aviation report for pilots and i used it for all my fishing trips......which tells me that it has to be accurate...... www.wunderground.com/US/NV/Sutcliffe.html .... this is what i use for Pyramid

bigfly
11-20-2009, 03:40 PM
I've been logging on to NOAA, using the west coast water vapor satellite, then the wind maps for aviation. Watched regularly, with a glance outside to correlate today's clouds with tomorrow's' prediction. Having said that, I've come very close to disaster many times out at Pyramid. The problem is, in winter the worse the weather, the more the fish seem to bite. I just clench my jaw,and everybody thinks I'm smiling.