PDA

View Full Version : Canon Powershot D 10

Tony Buzolich
11-17-2009, 10:30 AM
After loosing or messing up another trophy pictures yesterday I've got to get a new camera.

Have any of you used the new Canon Powershot D10? Half blue body, 12 megapixels, waterproof, shockproof, etc. $275.00 on the web.
TONY

shawn kempkes
11-17-2009, 06:33 PM
I bought one in june. when my olympus took a crap. It takes great pictures and its size is not an issue for me. The only potential downfall of the camera is that it lacks a lens cover
or cap and it would be easy to get scratched. I keep it in an old crown royal bag for that reason.

jburge
11-18-2009, 08:04 AM
Tony,

I'll echo what Shawn said. I picked one up this summer. It's durable (been through multiple backpack and fishing trips), lightweight, takes cool underwater photos, and I've been using it lately as well for some fly tying macros. Way easier now for me to pull it out, snap a pic of the fish not worry about it getting wet or dropped. Because the lens has no cover, I've had to get in the habit of making sure it's clean before I take a picture. I've been caught a couple of times with spotty photos because of water drops. I also got a longer lasting battery and bigger storage card so I could shoot short movies too.

John

Tony Buzolich
11-18-2009, 08:53 AM
Thanks guys, this is good info from actual use. It'll take macro's and movies too? :)

Bill Kiene semi-retired
11-18-2009, 09:20 AM
There is a good test on all of the small P&S WP digital cameras on the web and for picture quality, which is my main issue with any camera, the Canon and Panasonic were rated best.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/Q209waterproofgroup/

I am more of a Canon guy but Panasonic is a very good company too.

I will probably buy a new Canon D10 for my trip to Brazil for Peacock Bass in February.

Tony Buzolich
11-18-2009, 10:53 AM
Not that I'm planning on swimming in the delta soon and taking underwater pictures but do these waterproof cameras float? Being in a boat often enough there is a chance (likely) that this little jewel may just get dropped overboard.

I guess I could attach a lanyard with a small bouy :)
TONY

shawn kempkes
11-18-2009, 11:26 AM
Not that I'm planning on swimming in the delta soon and taking underwater pictures but do these waterproof cameras float? Being in a boat often enough there is a chance (likely) that this little jewel may just get dropped overboard.

I guess I could attach a lanyard with a small bouy :)
TONY

They dont float but you can buy a strap for them that makes ther float.

jburge
11-18-2009, 12:47 PM
Tony,

It actually has two macro modes--one is completely automatic, just put the camera right up next to what you want to shoot and it'll auto focus in macro mode for you. If you want to get a little trickier and control more of what's being shot, you can go to program mode and choose the macro option.

Movies are cool too. Depending on the size of your storage card you can shoot some nice clips (I wouldn't go more than about 5 minutes).

You can also stitch photos, making for some nice panoramas.

A fun toy for the money.

John

Flylining
11-18-2009, 10:27 PM
If you have any interest in Olympus, Costco has the 10' underwater model for $229. Thats a good price & it has a lense cover that opens & closes when you turn it on & off. Also memory card is included- I think 2 or 4 gig. I was thinking about buying one myself as a back up. I have the model that is good to 30' but you dont need it unless you're going diving.