PDA

View Full Version : Sinking line and Shooting head question

Digger38
11-15-2009, 06:40 PM
Hi everyone,
I have a sinking line on my 8wt rod that I use at pyramid and I was curious if you can add a shooting head to the sinking line and if you can how would you do it and what length should it be?

David Lee
11-15-2009, 07:18 PM
You could add a head .... but it won't cast worth a flip -

Your best option is an extra spool for your reel - set it up w/ a running line (mono , or coated) and a few heads in different sink rates (I , 4 , 6) . I use slow-sinking clear I lines , but most of the time heads are on my rigs , and I use them a lot !

Good luck !

David

jayclarkflyfishing
11-15-2009, 07:58 PM
Digger
I agree with David.Adding a shooting head to your full sink line will cast very poorly.I use 100' of running line with 25' of t-11(275 grains) for the head on an 8# XP.For Pyramid a fast sink head is the way to go.I recommend starting with 30' of t-11 and cut it back one foot at a time until you reach a length that is comfortable to cast.

Jay

Bill Kiene semi-retired
11-15-2009, 08:36 PM
You could add a 10' Airflo Poly or Rio Versi sinking leader to the end of it.

If you are not too far away just bring in that entire outfit and we can help you.

Darian
11-15-2009, 09:27 PM
Digger38,.... I'm curious about why you want to add a head to your line. :confused: Are you dissatisfied with the sink rate of your current line or some other feature :?: :?:

Adding a 30' head to an existing line (even an 8 weight) could overload your rod, resulting in some serious problems. Since you're fishing at Pyramid Lake, I'd recommend getting a new line like an integrated shooting head/line. If the head is t-14, you'll get all the depth you need and be able to handle the running line in cold weather. I believe you can get that type of line from Scientific Anglers or Rio at Kiene's Fly Shop. I've been using that type of line up there for many years with great satisfaction. :D :D :D