PDA

View Full Version : New Problem found with my casting

Digger38
11-14-2009, 11:17 AM
I have not had this problem before but the other day when I was out at Pyramid my casting became a huge problem. I was using my 8wt rod with a full sink line. I had a not weighted wolly bugger on the end of about a 6ft leader.

About every 3-4th cast on my back cast when I was just ready to shoot the line out my fly would hit the tip of my rod and get tangled around the tip. For some reason I could not get my fly to clear my rod tip when I was shooting the line out to the water? Any suggestions on what I might be doing wrong? This has not happened to me before so I am not sure how to fix it? Thank you for any suggestions you might have for me.

Terry Thomas
11-14-2009, 11:23 AM
Perhaps: Shocking the rod tip. A sudden acceleration at the start of the cast (to get those extra yards?) will cause the rod to dip. The line follows the rod tip and can cause a tailing loop and other potential problems.
Terry

Rick J
11-14-2009, 12:00 PM
are you using a shooting head or a full line - a great cast for sinking lines and especially shooting heads is the belgian loop - this is an out and around cast where you start the back cast with the rod canted and then come around over the top - this is a continuous motion cast with no stop and keeps the back and forward cast in different planes and the rod always loaded - less likely to shock the rod with this cast

Dabalone
11-14-2009, 12:13 PM
I am not the person to give casting advice but I also have this problem at times. Seems to me my problem comes from bad timing, not letting the rod load on my backcast and rushing the forward cast or maybe waiting to long. I quit having the problem when I pay attention to my timing.

Digger38
11-14-2009, 03:34 PM
Thank you for your replys I may be rushing the cast forward and not letting it go all the way back. I am using just a full sink line not a shooting head. I like the sound of the belgian loop cast I have never heard of it before. I may have to give that a try just to see if I can do it. Hopefully I don't get myself tangled in the line with that one. Thanks again everyone.

Rick J
11-14-2009, 07:18 PM
if you have access to a fly shop that has videos for rent look at Kieger's videos - he does a good job of explaining that cast. And I agree with Terry that you are probably shocking the rod which drops the line on the forward cast

Darian
11-14-2009, 08:53 PM
Seems to me that Bill's shop had a casting analyzer in it. If you're located in Sacramento, I'd suggest going to the shop (call first to be sure the analyzer is still there) and have your motion analyzed.... :nod: That will confirm that you either have a problem and how to solve it or that your motion is not the problem. In which case you might look in to being tired from lengthy sessions at casting (....like up at Pyramid Lake). 8-)

One thing I've observed in my own casting is that I tire after a while and the rod is allowed to drop past the normal stopping point on the back cast. Result; the line drops and stays in the horizontal on the way forward. The fly is in line with the rod tip and whap!!!! :rolleyes:

STEELIES/26c3
11-15-2009, 01:15 AM
Drop your wrist at the end of your forward extension?

EricW
11-16-2009, 01:56 AM
Hi Digger

It might be as simple as dropping the tip after your stop to clear the rod out of the way like steelie said. Or as suggested, it could be a tailing loop from power application, hitting it too hard at the beginning of the forward stroke. But there's likely also a minor hook in your tracking that's swinging the line around (straight forward but not perfectly opposite in the back).

Without seeing it, my bet is that you may be letting the rod tip drift around behind your body. Ideally the backcast will be straight back away from the target/forward cast. If you let the rod tip swing behind you then when you come forward, the line/flies will cut to the inside possibly hitting your casting arm/back/rod/ear :eek: This often shows itself distance casting because you're trying to extend with more line out with more power/force, and you subconsciously allow your shoulders or hand to twist (sort of the position you'd be in if you wound up to throw a baseball).

You may be able to check this yourself even here at your computer.
-Grip an pen or imaginary rod, thumb on top grip.
-Pantomime a forward cast thumb pointing toward the target
-Backcast and STOP! Hold your hand still
-Turn your head at the neck and look at you rod hand.

Is it pointing straight back or has your thumb rotated a little pointing behind you? This is what to look out for. Practice a couple times into the proper position. With an extended stroke straight back, you'll typically feel a little tension in your lats just below the armpit when your arm rotates to compensate for shoulder rotation. Let us know, we can work it out.

If you're in Reno and would like a 2nd set of eyes on it, I'd be willing to meet you at a park, just send me a private message with your phone #.
Cheers, Eric

Scott V
11-16-2009, 08:27 AM
Hey Digger38 how is life in Pahrump? Did you ever catch any wipers?

Darrin.Deel
11-16-2009, 05:29 PM
don't be afraid to shorten your leader if you are running a sink tip.

Digger38
11-17-2009, 03:15 PM
Hey everyone thank you for your help. I ended up letting my line stay back a little longer then more of an abrupt stop on my forward cast then as the line was coming forward I lowered my wrist down and I did not get caught up one time the other day. Hi Scott good to hear from you, Fallon has to be the most boering place I have ever lived but I am getting to fish more and that's always good. I did not catch any wipers (yet) the water level is really low at Lahontan Res. I am going to give it a try from the pontoon after winter. I have caught a few nice cutthroat trout at Pyramid and even a few small ones on the Truckee.

bigfly
11-21-2009, 06:28 PM
Digger, you didn't mention whether the wind was blowing across your casting arm (right to left if you are right handed). If so, (and it doesn't take much), try bringing the rod back on the opposite side of your body. A cross body cast. After a few seasons there, I unconsciously picked up the Belgian loop(survival instinct). I now use it, on purpose, dry fly fishing too, (flows well into an up stream reach cast).
By the way, Sage rods are inspected when returned for breakage. Split shot will bruise graphite on impact,( leaves a small oval dent) and a streamer will scratch the surface. That is right where it will snap. Last year on a really windy day, I stuck the streamer right through the rod tip.
Take care out there!