PDA

View Full Version : Sea Lion in Sac Story

Jgoding
11-13-2009, 03:11 PM
Anyone else see that story about that injured sea lion that pulled himself up in Sac? Some real POS shot him, the bullet entered from the side of his snout just below his eyes and exited on the other side. He was having trouble breathing as I bet his nasal cavity was a mess and he had his eyes closed (not sure if he could still see).

I know people don't like the "furbags" but really, popping off shots is not the way to handle it especially to leave an animal to suffer like that.

Darian
11-13-2009, 03:19 PM
I saw it too.... The animal did look to be distressed but there was a follow-up on the TV news that said the Marine Mammal Rescue group had seen him and decided that the wound wasn't life threatening. They were going to try to keep an eye on him for any changes (problems :?: ).... Hope he makes it.... :nod:

Ned Morris
11-13-2009, 04:45 PM
Unfortunately man is the cause for the pinniped explosion that is found in so many rivers on the West Coast. Anyone who doesn't like to the point where they would shoot them needs to reflect for a moment. It's not their fault they go after Salmon & Steelhead. They've been doing it for millenia. Yeah sure it sucks when you hear of stories like Hondo the seal that would take out 70-80 Steelhead a day at Ballard Locks in Seattle (and eat only 2 or 3 of those fish and kill the rest for fun). But think how that problem got to be in the first place. The Russian River didn't just have epic Steelhead fishing for the first part of the 1900's just out of the blue. Russians out of Ft. Ross would build platforms accross the lower river around what it present day Duncans Mills and harpoon seals left and right. By the 1870's they were completely wiped out on the Sonoma Coast. Thus Steelhead and Salmon Populations did quite well until the late 1950's due to lack of predation. Totally different today when you look at the River Mouth at Jenner now. Unfortunately man can scew up ecosystems better than anyone. Hardly any White Sharks left up and down the CA, Handful of orcas are seen, and that is it. Nothing other than disease poses a problem to seals. Shooting, harassing, yelling at them is not the answer.

David Lee
11-13-2009, 05:40 PM
Interesting subject .

Seals/Sea Lion are NOT the cute , big-eyed critters the news folks would make them out to be . Some are fearless and agressive hunters that WILL come into your boat after a hooked fish (plenty of documentation on this fact) , or have a nice , close visit to see what's up while you are in your Tube/'Yak/'Toon . I was in the water with one a month or so back while I was tubin'..... and I have no problem relating to you the horror I felt when that BIG critter came close - that thing was OVER 6 feet long !

I'm not real clear on if its 'normal' for them to be this far up into freshwater , I know little of their lifecycle or habits . I do know there always seems to be one around the Sacramento area , and on occasion they can be found up the American as far as Paradise Beach .

Pop one in the head for the fun of it ?? Not me , though I'm really not so keen on them .

Pop one in the head if it started tugging on my fins ?? Perhaps .... if I didn't scream/faint/soil my waders .

We do seem to have an overabundance of them - take a look @ the mouth of the Russian and wonder how many sea-run fish are going to make it past the mob passed-out on the sandbar . Perhaps a harvest of some kind is in order ?? I can see the ads now .... SEAL - the OTHER Red meat/California , home of happy , TASTY Seals ! They make really nice dubbing , as well .

Oh ..... for the record - I DO NOT condone shooting ANYTHING (varmit or otherwise) and leaving it to suffer .

D.~

ted1
11-13-2009, 10:34 PM
You should have seen how fast David placed me between the mean old sea lion and me!

Hairstacker
11-13-2009, 10:52 PM
You should have seen how fast David placed me between the mean old sea lion and me!

And they say tubes are slow . . . did he create a wake? :lol:

David Lee
11-14-2009, 08:09 AM
You should have seen how fast David placed me between the mean old sea lion and him !

Of course I did - you are MUCH younger and obviously MUST taste better to carnivore furbags than I do ......

D.~

ted1
11-14-2009, 09:06 AM
I may taste better than you, but remember that you were the only one with the fish smell that day.

nightgoat
11-21-2009, 12:14 PM
Well, they caught the jackass!

http://www.sacbee.com/ourregion/story/2339788.html