PDA

View Full Version : NCCFFF Message About Yuba Public Access

Bob Laskodi
11-11-2009, 12:55 PM
Alert: Public Access to the Lower Yuba is at risk!

It has come to my attention that a plan to close access to the public below the Highway 20 bridge (Park's Bar area) has been in the works for months. As many know who fish the river, most access above the bridge was closed off a few years ago, leading to formation of a private fishing club, Yuba Outdoor Adventures. As a result, most public fishing now happens below the bridge, or within walking access up stream from there. Now, it appears that if this plan goes through that access will become severely limited, or blocked.

Western Aggregate, the company that owns the land below the bridge on the south side of the river has been negotiating with the South Yuba River Citizens League, SYRCL, a non-profit environmental organization, about a conservation easement. Apparently, this easement will allow a restoration project in the flood plain below the bridge. SYRCL has a statement on their website, www.yubariver.net, about this project. The key statement in the article on the project is, "appropriate public access." SYRCL has not been open about what this means, and the comments made by a board member indicates access will be very limited in the three miles of lands below the bridge.

Call to action:

Phone calls to SYRCL, 530 265-5961, requesting they not agree to reduced or limited access to fly fishers. Tell them you do not agree with broad closure of the three miles of land in order to proceed with this restoration project.

Letters to SYRCL - 216 Main Street, Nevada City, CA. 95959 - Tell them you do not agree with blocking access to the public in order to facilitate this project. The Yuba is a highly valued fishery to many in the central California area, and should remain open to the public. Motorized vehicle restrictions should be started if ATV activity is a problem, not blocking all access. If you have or are supporting SYRCL financially, please consider telling them you will stop that support if they proceed. Purse string pressure will have great impact. Be passionate in your appeal.

Fly Club Response - It is critically important that as many clubs do letters and calls as possible! We cannot win this battle without a good response from all our clubs who may have members who fish the Yuba. Please encourage your club to do a letter immediately! Time is of the essence!

Sample letter:

Dear________:

It has come to our attention that SYRCL has entered into an agreement with Western Aggregate Co. and others that would lead to closing public access to the lower Yuba River, below Highway 20 (south side). We/I call on you to terminate this agreement and withdraw from this agreement immediately. It is not in the interest of SYRCL or the public to close off the remaining access to prime Yuba River fishing. The public has few good locations to fish many rivers and streams in the area already, and further limiting access on the Yuba is simply not acceptable.

We agree that recovery of spring Chinook and Steelhead is and should be a goal of SYRCL, but it is our understanding that the flood plain below the Highway 20 bridge is not a good location for a restoration project, and the money could be spent in other areas better suited for fishery efforts. Using this project as justification to close off the land to the public is inappropriate, especially since you are using public money to fund it. You seem willing to say, "thanks for providing public tax money for the project, and by the way, the public will not be allowed in the area." This is fundamentally wrong. Many restoration projects in California have been done without any public access restrictions. If some restriction is required, then do so in the area of the project only, not throughout the entire three miles below the bridge.

We ask you to reconsider what you are proposing. If you proceed, we certainly will no longer promote SYRCL as a good environmental organization to support financially. We will spread the word about your negative impacts on fly anglers, and willingness to block the public from good fishing access on our California Rivers.

Sincerely,

Thanks for your help with this effort. Losing this river to fly fishers simply is not acceptable!

Mark Rockwell

VP Conservation, NCCFFF

530 432-0100

Bob Laskodi
11-11-2009, 01:03 PM
I reprinted the entire e-mail message as I received it from the NCCFFF. In the above, I made NO changes whatsoever to the e-mail. NOW I will mention my personal comments. It's time for every fly flinger to step up to the plate and contact SYRCL about this issue. Don't go on record now, and a long history of public access on the Yuba is gone! IMNSHO, this grab of public lands by SYRCL, Western Ag, and YOA is unacceptable. When this thread first started a few weeks ago, I was active in it, but didn't personally believe that SYRCL would attempt something so stupid. Now that the NCCFFF is involved it appears that they are indeed attempting something stupid!

Big Jim
11-12-2009, 12:24 AM
Letter sent.
It might be good to post this on some other boards as well...maybe Blantons and NCFFB - as well as trying to get the local fly shops involved.

Jim

Charlie Gonzales
11-12-2009, 12:54 AM
Bob Im not trying to belittle your attempt( i know this is serious) but this is taken from your link..

"SYRCL will not be part of any project which denies access to the river on public lands and public right of ways. We’re working with the landowner to ensure public access in this 3 mile stretch of private land. We’ve been involved in discussions on how to best protect any physical rehabilitation that will occur and utilizing a cable barrier to restrict vehicle access from sensitive habitats under rehabilitation, but that stage of planning is still one year out. We see vehicular restrictions being localized, and implemented following review of stakeholders and stewards, including anglers.”

Those first two sentences could be key, public access on private land.

Is my memory wrong but wasnt the gate below the bridge always locked up to just a few years ago?

Trust me when I say I dont want to see any of this go away either!

Bob Laskodi
11-12-2009, 09:26 AM
Charlie, you've fallen victim to the propaganda from SYRCL, YOA & Western Ag!!!! It's a very long story, but the bottom line is the floodplain of the Yuba is PUBLIC ACCESS according to both Federal & State laws. The owners/leasers of the land believe since they own/lease the land they can cite you for trespassing when you're in the floodplain fishing the river (again, not true). There are many public accesses/easements to legally cross to get to the floodplain. Long story and an even longer battle. When a crazy old phart (like me) posts something like "they're stealing your public access", I would not get all riled up and maybe I'm being paranoid (who me?!!!), but when NCCFFF posts an e-mail you better believe it's a serious issue.
And your memory is wrong, the gate was not locked at all up until YOA acquired the leases, and Western AG just lost a huge lawsuit that says the gates must come down!!!

Mrs.Finsallaround
11-12-2009, 09:59 AM
Charlie, I agree with you and believe NCCFFF is jumping the gun on this "call to action".

I plan to have Jason Rainey of SYRCL at GBF's Conservation Meeting, hopefully in December, to get to the bottom of these issues and, as a representative of GBF, do not plan to take a position on this issue until ALL of the facts have been released.

I am very disappointed in NCCFFF's call to action, because there are facts that both Mark Rockwell and I discussed that are not in it, which could potentially change the position of other fly fisherman on the issue. The "call to action" is emotionally charged and aimed at getting all fly fisherman to go against the whole idea without having all the facts, and I refuse to participate until such time that I am satisfied all facts have been disclosed.

I, too, will re-quote SYRCL's press release:
"SYRCL will not be part of any project which denies access to the river on public lands and public right of ways. We’re working with the landowner to ensure public access in this 3 mile stretch of private land. We’ve been involved in discussions on how to best protect any physical rehabilitation that will occur and utilizing a cable barrier to restrict vehicle access from sensitive habitats under rehabilitation, but that stage of planning is still one year out. We see vehicular restrictions being localized, and implemented following review of stakeholders and stewards, including anglers.”

fly on the wall
11-12-2009, 11:53 AM
Wasn't SYRCL behind the "huge lawsuit" that forced Western to take down their gate?? I don't think they're in the business of excluding public access to public property.

Rockwell is selective with his facts and omitting very key information (that he is fully aware of) from his "call to action".

This premature and misleading "call to action" by the NCCFFF is a position statement that puts the credibility of the entire Federation of Fly Fishers in a very bad light. Why should we trust that future articles, opinions, and announcements by the FFF are reasoned, fact-checked, and providing an unbiased story in its entirety?

Bob Laskodi
11-12-2009, 01:33 PM
Well MR FOTW, I suppose we could ask the same question of you since you refuse to identify yourself. Mr Rockwell may (or may not) be incorrect here, but at least he has positively identified himself. How about you???

nightgoat
11-12-2009, 06:33 PM
The "call to action" is emotionally charged and aimed at getting all fly fisherman to go against the whole idea without having all the facts, and I refuse to participate until such time that I am satisfied all facts have been disclosed.

I agree completely.

I particularly don't understand this passage :

"but it is our understanding that the flood plain below the Highway 20 bridge is not a good location for a restoration project, and the money could be spent in other areas better suited for fishery efforts."

Does anyone know NCCFFF's reasoning behind this statement? Is there some scientific study they reference?

I will never be mistaken for a fisheries expert, but it seems to me that if WILD fish have been spawning in this area since Englebright was built it should be a suitable location :-k.

Unless of course they are thinking about removing Englebright :unibrow:

nightgoat
11-12-2009, 06:39 PM
Why should we trust that future articles, opinions, and announcements by the FFF are reasoned, fact-checked, and providing an unbiased story in its entirety?

And why would we trust you, who registered specifically to comment on this topic and hasn't participated in any other part of the board? No offense intended, it is a serious question. I understand that you have reasons you don't want to identify yourself, but it does hurt your credibility.

Ed Wahl
11-12-2009, 08:06 PM
If you delete all the hyperbole, and speculation, the only logical option left has been put out by Robin.
Get some facts first, then act(or not) after.

Robin, aren't the GBF conservation committee meetings open to guests as well as members? I think Bob might like to show up.

Ed

bonish
11-12-2009, 10:28 PM
The "Gate" to the road was a larger public access issue far beyond just access to fishing and the river . The argument was whether the Smartville-Hammonton road was indeed a public county road. There were other private landowners who were essentially "landlocked" by the gates.

Mrs.Finsallaround
11-13-2009, 06:46 AM
If you delete all the hyperbole, and speculation, the only logical option left has been put out by Robin.
Get some facts first, then act(or not) after.

Robin, aren't the GBF conservation committee meetings open to guests as well as members? I think Bob might like to show up.

Ed
:lol:

Honestly, I'd never thought about having guests (other than the speakers) at the conservation committee meetings:-k... this is more for club members to be involved in the club's conservation efforts/views.

The general membership meetings are open to guests however... 2nd Thursday of the month. I give updates at the general meetings of the conservation committee's activities/decisions.

I will be happy to share on the BB any discoveries we make as a result of our meeting... :nod:

Tom Page
11-30-2009, 12:03 AM
I would like everyone to know that on December 10th starting at 1pm - 3pm
there will be a meeting regarding projects that are happening on the Lower Yuba River. This meeting will be conducted by Elizabeth A. Campbell, Ph.D.
from the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. The meeting will be held in Marysville at the YCWA.
I attended the last meeting that she held with Jason Rainey from SYRCL. They informed me, several other Guides and fly fishermen that the partnership has been developed between SYRCL, Western Aggregate and YOA ( Randy Jarvis). I feel it is very important for everyone to show up to hear what is in the future for our Yuba River. I just ask that everyone who attends this meeting will remain positive and ask questions. Let’s try to get YOA out of the partnership. As I have mentioned in my other post I would rather pay a fee to SYRCL so they can continue to their outstanding contributions and projects for the Yuba rather than benefit a greedy Randy Jarvis.

Mrs.Finsallaround
12-10-2009, 09:58 AM
SYRCL posted these on 12/07/09:
http://www.yubariver.org/content/syrcl-answers-faqs-regarding-lower-yuba-river-rehabilitation-program

I will personally be at the public meeting today at YCWA.