PDA

View Full Version : Teaching Diego

Ty@Landpark
11-11-2009, 10:24 AM
Reaching out to Message Board Community---

I'm a proud grandpa of a five year old grandson - Diego. I have just over one year of fly fishing experience under my belt and not the most proficient by any means. Nonetheless, I love the sport and I wish to enrich Diego's young life with introducing him to fly fishing in hopes that he too will enjoy it and we can build memories out on the water together. Here's where I would appreciate input...getting started? What weight rod and reel to start with? Tying knotts? Casting lessons? Introduction to the water? Generating interest and excitement? Lesson's learned from experience as to what worked and didn't work? And many more input/suggestions folks can think of.

Dave E.
11-11-2009, 10:37 AM
Has he been introduced to any type of fishing? If not, I'd save your love for fly fishing for those times when you're fishing without him.
What I'd recommend is introducing him to fishing with a closed face spinning set up ( Zebco 33 ). Take him out to a warm water pond ( this spring when thing start to warm up again ). Get a batch or worms or meal worms, a few sized 12 bait holders, a couple of split shot and a few small bobbers and go after some sunfish. Don't forget the orange sodas, bologna sandwiches and twinkies, which might hold his attention longer than the fishing.

If he gets on board with fishing, then maybe in a couple of years he'll be ready to take on things with a fly rod.

Best, Dave

Bill Kiene semi-retired
11-11-2009, 10:39 AM
First outfit:

I would get him a little short trout rod and over-line it 2 sizes.

6' to 8' long in 2 piece in line size #2 to #4 weight.

Depending on his age and size..........

**We got my grandson an 8' #4 line 2 piece rod and put a WF6F beginner fly line on it. They were a little older though.

Some of the companies are offering youth outfits now too.

__________________________________________________ ________________

Casting lessons:

Jeff Putnam is excellent with children too.

__________________________________________________ _________________

First fly fishing experience:

Find a nice pond in the spring/summer loaded with small Bluegill.

David Lee
11-11-2009, 10:52 AM
Has he been introduced to any type of fishing? If not, I'd save your love for fly fishing for those times when you're fishing without him.
What I'd recommend is introducing him to fishing with a closed face spinning set up ( Zebco 33 ). Take him out to a warm water pond ( this spring when thing start to warm up again ). Get a batch or worms or meal worms, a few sized 12 bait holders, a couple of split shot and a few small bobbers and go after some sunfish. Don't forget the orange sodas, bologna sandwiches and twinkies, which might hold his attention longer than the fishing.

If he gets on board with fishing, then maybe in a couple of years he'll be ready to take on things with a fly rod.

Best, Dave

This is the best way , IMO .

David

Darian
11-11-2009, 10:58 AM
Remember,.... It's all about Diego having a good time. Everything else, including fishing is secondary.... :D

Jet
11-11-2009, 11:02 AM
I would have to somewhat agree with Dave. I started my son early around age 7 when most suggested waiting till about 12. He however started fishing with his grandpa at the age of 4.
I bought him a spinning rod with a push button but you use your index finger and not you thumb. He needs to go fishing and catch fish so it will keep his interest. We fished places like Oak Grove Park in Stockton that planted Trout but it also had a playground near by for when he gets bored. I think you should get one of those Echo practice rods and let him play with that until he seems to be able to understand a casting stroke. I did not have those available to me when teaching my son so we used hula hoops on the sidewalk. Even at the age of 7-8 he would only last 5 minutes. I had to make deal that when he got 3 in the hoop he could quit. The first rod I choose was a 7'6" 4wt which worked well but he grew out of fairly quickly but it's a great dry fly rod. You have to take him fishing and catch fish. He will either love fishing or he will not. I have taken many of my son's freinds fishing for b-gills and had awesome days of catching but only a couple kids retained the desire to keep going fishing. I was lucky my son lives for fishing.

Good Luck,

Jet

Victor Yee
11-11-2009, 07:08 PM
I spent the money first on some kids neoprene. After that, put her on our second float tube, set her up with some nymphs or leech/buggers on a floating line and have her kick around. One of my fondest memory is when at Lake Manzanita, she outfished members of the Delta and Golden Gate Angling groups... The second fondest memory is when she made the cover of the 2004 Calif. Dept. of Fish & Game Reg. book holding a big rainbow with the biggest grin from ear to ear. Once again, float tubing with dad and probably about eight years young back then. (We attached our tubes together and I did the set up, -she did the rest).

Ty@Landpark
11-14-2009, 06:40 PM
Thank you all for your input. Sounds like 5 yrs old is too young and best to take Diego out this coming spring to a spot that has plenty of bluegill. I'll likely get him a Zepco or comparable combo set along with some bobbers, hooks, and some worms and let him have at it. Thanks again for the input....very much appreciated.