PDA

View Full Version : hooks for woolyboogers

leemar
11-09-2009, 04:03 PM
On a trip to the Mammoth area this year I went through a lot of woolyboogers I have had in my box for a few years. In wanting to restock my boxes I noticed all of the boogers I had were tied with a hook with a down eye. When I tie my leeches I tie them on a straight eye hook hoping to get more of a darting action. My question is are these boogers tied on the down eye for a strategic reason or are those hooks more available. Maybe I am over thinking it but I would love some input from the veteran tyers. Thanks ahead of time....Leemar

Bob Scheidt
11-09-2009, 08:27 PM
I think buggers are tied on down eye hooks only because these hooks are available. I don't know of any strategic reason. I don't even know of a 3XL hook with a ring eye. Tiemco makes a 9395, 4XL hook with a straight ring eye.
Gosh I love them woolies.

Bob

leemar
11-10-2009, 08:39 AM
Thanks Bob. I love them too because you can tie them all different with different colored hackle.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
11-10-2009, 09:10 AM
Bob Scheidt ties most of our Wooly Buggers plus other patterns too.

Thanks Bob

I think that a ring eye or straight eye hook on a Wooly Bugger would be good but as Bob mentioned they are not as popular as the old down eye hooks and not as available.

JD
11-10-2009, 06:11 PM
Leemar:

You can tie a Woolly Bugger on any style hook. Whether not it affects the action or the hook setting ability is a point of much debate. All else being equal, I personally don't think the hook eye direction has much to do with how a fly fishes, but you will find people who will argue that a particular hook style is "best" for streamers. I would just tie them on whatever style hook you like the best and leave it at that. If you are looking for a 3XL straight eye hook, you could try the Daiichi 2460 which is made in size #18-6/0. And if you want to try something different, take a look at the Daiichi 1850 which is a "flat eye" straight-eyed hook (#12-6).

leemar
11-11-2009, 10:38 AM
thanks JD...I love all the input....

SHigSpeed
11-15-2009, 07:44 PM
I think buggers are tied on down eye hooks only because these hooks are available. I don't know of any strategic reason. I don't even know of a 3XL hook with a ring eye. Tiemco makes a 9395, 4XL hook with a straight ring eye.
Gosh I love them woolies.

Bob

I think the down eye helps vector the force of penetration better at the hook's tip than a straight or up eye. It's a small geometric advantage though so probably in practice it's almost negligible. It probably also keeps the hook up to make it somewhat weedless. That said, if they'd only make a fly hook with an upturned point (like an octopus) it'd start the penetration in line with the eye and be less likely to bend if you ask me (see my new thread - sorry to semi-jack).

_SHig