PDA

View Full Version : Small digital WP P&S cameras:

Bill Kiene semi-retired
11-05-2009, 07:11 PM
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/Q209waterproofgroup/

"Features aside, when you are purchasing a camera, what you really want to know is which camera will consistently produce the best image quality. And on that front this review quickly turned into a story of two groups of cameras, with the Canon D10 and Panasonic TS1 producing better results than all the other cameras in this group, and the TS1 producing the best high ISO image quality. It was also interesting to see that the Pentax W60 was not that far behind the image quality leaders at lower ISO settings."

FRSam
11-20-2009, 01:51 PM
Well I just picked up the Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS1 and so far so good. I haven't shot any underwater shots yet but I'm sure looking forward to this feature. It's very well built and packed with features. The camera size is smaller than I thought just a bit bigger than a credit card and about 5/8's of an inch thick.

I got it through Amazon.com and paid $279.00.

I'll finally be able to get those shots of the fish in the water without having to worry about the water getting on the camera.

Thanks Bill for posting the link!!!

Pete

jburge
11-20-2009, 05:44 PM
Just me, but I've always been partial to Canon lenses--all the way back to AE1 days, remember those? It really is amazing that you can get a great camera, with waterproof, shockproof, and high resolution qualities, for a reasonable sum these days. And those underwater pix are just way cool ;-)

John

kokaneejr
12-08-2009, 06:43 AM
Hey Bill

Thanks for this link. I have had a Pentax WPI 7 mp for years and it has served me well. I have taken hundreds of photos with it and been very happy.

I checked out the rankings and went to Amazon and found them selling the Pentax w80 for 149. I know it is ranked middle of the road but a 12mp,waterproof, shock resistant and freeze resistant camera fo $150 i couldn't resist.( or for that matter afford anything else right now.) Yeah its red but who cares. If anyone else is interested you only get the cheaper price when you go to checkout.

Now to go try and photograph some fish...Craig.

michaeln
12-08-2009, 10:45 AM
I just got the Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS1 (green) and am very impressed with it. It shoots great HD movies too.

SHigSpeed
12-08-2009, 10:55 AM
I just got the Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS1 (green) and am very impressed with it. It shoots great HD movies too.

I covet that camera! I may have to bite the bullet and get one to go with my Lumix DMC-FZ50.

_SHig

Adam Grace
12-30-2009, 12:12 PM
I love my old Pentax W10 for outdoor fishing pictures indoors though, not very good. I'm very pleased that us fishermen have so many cameras to choose from now. If I had to buy another one I'd go with Canon. They never fail me and I prefer the colors that they produce compared to the Panasonic. I recognize that Panasonic cameras get good reviews and that they make a nice camera but I've sold plenty of them and I have always seen an over saturation in color time and time again. Do you Panasonic owners ever noticed how the colors can be overly saturated/too bright or fake looking?

SHigSpeed
12-30-2009, 12:16 PM
I love my old Pentax W10 for outdoor fishing pictures indoors though, not very good. I'm very pleased that us fishermen have so many cameras to choose from now. If I had to buy another one I'd go with Canon. They never fail me and I prefer the colors that they produce compared to the Panasonic. I recognize that Panasonic cameras get good reviews and that they make a nice camera but I've sold plenty of them and I have always seen an over saturation in color time and time again. Do you Panasonic owners ever noticed how the colors can be overly saturated/too bright or fake looking?

I just got one (Lumix) for myself for Xmas. Haven't shot any outdoors/sunlight stuff yet but I'm sure I'll be posting pics from it from time to time. I have the big FZ50 and shot a lot but I don't think I have the photo critiquing eye to say if what I think about the colors.

Too bad the Canon has the funky form factor or it could have won my $$. I do like the S90 from the specs a lot. Wish it were WP/SP!

_SHig

Bill Kiene semi-retired
01-08-2010, 09:36 AM
I just bought a new Canon D10 P&S WP digital camera for my trip to the Amazon River in Brazil for Peacock Bass in February.

Now I need to get a good clear stick-on plastic sheet to protect my LED screen from being scratched.

Any recommendations?

Grounded
01-08-2010, 10:48 AM
I just bought a new Canon D10 P&S WP digital camera for my trip to the Amazon River in Brazil for Peacock Bass in February.

Now I need to get a good clear stick-on plastic sheet to protect my LED screen from being scratched.

Any recommendations?

Bill -

This is what I bought:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Init&%23174%3B+-+Universal+Screen+Protectors+%2812-Pack%29/7973366.p?skuId=7973366&st=Screen%20Protectors&id=1153998216501

You'll need to cut them to fit, but you get a whole pack in case you need to replace them. I wouldn't use it for an iPhone or PDA, but they work great on my cameras (where I don't really care if there are a couple of bubbles).

I hope this helps! :D

Ryan

Adam Grace
01-31-2010, 08:59 PM
Bill, I have used those screen protectors and they're ok but you should buy the Invisible Sheild screen protectors in the universal size if you don't want to change out screen protectors every couple of months or so. The invisible shield ones are the best for your digital camera! Trust me!

RobK.
04-05-2010, 08:41 PM
My next camera will be a WP point and shoot with video .

bigfly
04-13-2010, 10:58 AM
Hey guys, one thing about the new waterproof cameras is they don't float. Have heard a few sad stories, and one happy one where a guide friend found one on the deschutes, on the bottom. 3 month old pictures on it, still worked. I recommend a floating tether, like the floaties for sunglasses.

Jim

Grampa Spey
04-17-2010, 08:36 AM
I just ordered two. One for my Olympus and one for our younger son's Olympus.

http://www.bestdigitalcameradiscounts.com/cameras/olympus-strap-float-orange.html

Grampa Spey
04-17-2010, 08:42 AM
I haven't used mine for videos yet, our younger son shoots videos with his in the rain or whatever. Two years ago, in driving horizontal rain he took video pictures of Lance Armstrong as Lance and his group rode by my son.

My next camera will be a WP point and shoot with video .

bigfly
04-17-2010, 10:55 AM
Because I'm trying to land a clients fish, and get a photo, and not stress the fish.
(We always keep them in the water.) (No bank pictures please.)
I went to REI and bought a hard case that fit my Olympus, then attached a gear retractor to the back. The camera is ready/out of the way/and safe. Like others mentioned, a protective film on the screen lengthens the usable life of the camera.
Now, lets see some more pictures (with fish)!

Jim

Adam Grace
04-20-2010, 12:28 AM
Good idea Jim