PDA

View Full Version : Rio Indicator Line

Terry Thomas
11-04-2009, 09:25 PM
While fishing the Rogue a couple of weeks ago I had the opportunity to fish the new Rio Indicator line. In the past I have fished several lines with indicators:Rio's Atlantic/Steelhead line, Rio's Nymph line, S.A.'s Steelhead line, and Sage's Indicator line. They all did an adequate job, but nothing special. I did like the Sage taper, however, when fishing some real cold snowy days on the Trinity, I found it to be sticky and hard to cast. The new Rio line was quite an eye opener! It has a thicker diameter tip and a shorter front taper that really allows you to "jump" an indicator into the line that you want to fish. It also has a longer head and rear taper that makes it easier to mend and feed line. My boat partner that day was fishing the Atlantic/Steelhead line and couldn't believe the difference in performance in the two lines. I don't do the "indo thing" a lot, but there are times when it is a lot of fun and gives you more opportunities when drifting from one swing run to the next. If you fish an indicator, this is a line that deserves a look!
Terry

bigfly
11-05-2009, 03:42 PM
Love the line, but over time I have come to believe that a bright line can spook fish. A full camo (moss for eg.) is very hard for clients to see well enough to mend. So, I used a dark green permanent marker and made alternating dark bands on my nymph tip. Leaving a little less orange tip, then six inches of light line showing, another dark band etc..... for about 6ft.
Works wonders, and saves you from fishing an even loner leader.

Mike R
11-05-2009, 03:49 PM
I agree about line color but when I have an orange and green indicator the size of a seagull floating above the flies, I'm not so worried about the line color.

I'd actually like to see this line in a brighter color (like the SH line). This line may be a good switch for those of us that have been using the older rio Sh line for bobber work.

Mike

jbird
11-05-2009, 05:47 PM
I have fished in a bunch of places where the water is gin clear and the fish are extremely spooky. The line color makes no diference from my experience...its how it hits the water that makes the diference.

Thanks for the report on the rio line..I will try it. I spoke with Brian Chan a couple weeks ago and he was raving about this line as well.

pvsprme
11-06-2009, 03:27 PM
Is it that different from the Rio Nymph taper of the last few years?

Terry Thomas
11-06-2009, 08:38 PM
Robert,
Yes, this is a totally different line. The Nymph line has been dropped from production for 2010. The new line still has an orange tip for visibility, but the line is more thick in the front with a shorter taper. The Indicator line is 90ft. long in line sizes 4 and 5 and 100ft. in length in sizes 6 through 9. The front @40ft. of line is what they call "gray dun" and the rear @60ft. is a bright green color. The lines also come with an "indicator leader" in 10ft. lengths.
All of the leaders come in 4X, regardless of line size. Would have been nice to have heavier tippets for the larger line sizes.

OceanSunfish
11-06-2009, 10:30 PM
I reallly appreciate the insight from field testers, such as Terry Thomas, regarding new fly lines, etc. What I don't appreciate is when I purchase said new line shortly thereafter, then RIO comes out with a new and improved version a year later.... I guess that is a nice problem for us FF to have.... <grin>

Seriously, when you say "indicator line" do you mean a fly line made to help cast and turn over what can be a rather big fluffy indicator? And, we're not talking a spey line, right?

I'd rather drift roe, play golf or watch TV vs. having to cast a big old indicator with my single handed rod. What a pain in the ..... For awhile, I was considering a center-pin system.....BUT, if this line is a big assist, then I'll have to reevaluate.

Thanks.

pvsprme
11-07-2009, 06:25 AM
I reallly appreciate the insight from field testers, such as Terry Thomas, regarding new fly lines, etc. What I don't appreciate is when I purchase said new line shortly thereafter, then RIO comes out with a new and improved version a year later.... I guess that is a nice problem for us FF to have.... <grin>

Seriously, when you say "indicator line" do you mean a fly line made to help cast and turn over what can be a rather big fluffy indicator? And, we're not talking a spey line, right?

I'd rather drift roe, play golf or watch TV vs. having to cast a big old indicator with my single handed rod. What a pain in the ..... For awhile, I was considering a center-pin system.....BUT, if this line is a big assist, then I'll have to reevaluate.

Thanks.

I met a guide on the Trinity who, when he realized I was swinging, stopped to chat and made the statement;"the last time I fished with a bobber, it had Pautzkes (salmon eggs)under it".
I thought that was pretty funny.

Terry Thomas
11-07-2009, 09:13 AM
True, we all are looking to watch out for $$$$ going out of the window. From a manufacturer's standpoint, if you aren't looking forward in design, you are left in the dust. There is nothing wrong with the lines that were produced last year or in years past. If they worked for you in the past, they will still work. The fact of the matter is, there are huge numbers of people out there who chose to fish an indicator. The Indicator line is a single hand line that makes it easier to pursue that type of fishing, should you choose to do so. I am not going to tell anglers "how" to fish. Enjoying a day on the river and protecting the fishery is most important in my mind.

OceanSunfish
11-07-2009, 03:34 PM
Thanks again Terry.

I wasn't bemoaning indicator fishing as a 2nd class methodology, but was rather bemoaning that fact that, for me, it's an arduous exercise on the water with a big fluffy ball of yarn.... Now, if Rio's new "indicator" line is marvelous in assisting with the use of big fluff ball indicators, then I'm very interested.

IMO, fishing is fishing. I enjoy all aspects and approaches, plus I relish the idea of changing up the techniques from time to time in an attempt to be a well rounded angler.

pvsprme: And, why was it so funny to use Pautzke Salmon Eggs under a bobber? I must have a different sense of humor so I don't get it.

WinterrunRon
11-07-2009, 08:19 PM
I agree it is great to get product review first hand. Thanks Terry.

Another option for indicator folks not settled on a line: I tried finding a replacement for my RIO 7wt salmon/steelhead line, gave S/A Nymph a try, but it didn't do as good as job. Through trial and error, the line I really like for roll casting weighted flies is RIO Grand. I'll have to try the indicator line sometime and see if it works better than the RIO Grand. But I'm happy with it.

pvsprme
11-16-2009, 06:33 PM
I too am not disparaging anyone's methods, as long as they adhere to fair chase. I prefer nymphing without an indicator, but will use them occassionally as a tool if applicable. The reference to a bobber and Pautzke's was a derogatory remark intended to put down indicator fisherman by the guide I was speaking with; guess you had to be there. This guy was of the "if it isn't swinging, it's not steelheading" school of thought, which I don't agree with, but I did see the humor in it.