PDA

View Full Version : Salmon River Steelhead

malbers
11-02-2009, 02:47 PM
Drove 12 hours to north-central Idaho for some Whitetail deer hunting and Steelhead fishing. Success on both. Fished the Salmon river between twin bridges 25 miles north of Riggins, ID. Fished day one in a 35 mph south wind. Absolutely brutal fishing. The barometer was dropping fast and the bite was off. Day two, fished south of bridge 2 as instructed by my high school football coach, with the flies he gave me and hooked up with a beautiful wild Steelhead. It was my first ever on a fly, and I couldn't have been happier. It is a record year according to the reports with more that 300,000 already counted. Double what they usually count. Great trip!

trinity
11-02-2009, 04:48 PM
The tail on that fish is huge! Cool trip

Mike R
11-02-2009, 04:58 PM
That's a great fish and true testament to steelhead. Just think about how far that fish swam to and from it's natal waters and what it had to go through for you to catch it. Nice work!!!!

Mike

Rick J
11-02-2009, 05:25 PM
your first steelhead on a fly is a great accomplishment. Congratulations - I am sure when you are 97 and in the final stages of Alzheimer's you will still be remembering that fish!!!!!

malbers
11-02-2009, 05:44 PM
Without a doubt, I will remember it forever. It jumped clean out of the water 3 times, I almost lost it right off the bat due to a big knot in my line, and I caught it no more than 300 yards from my families cabin overlooking the Salmon. Nature is truely a spiritual place. And yes, the fish in the Salmon river travel an awful long way through some heavy water to get to where I caught it. If you have never been to that part of Idaho, it is an absolutely beautiful piece of country.

WinterrunRon
11-02-2009, 07:44 PM
your first steelhead on a fly is a great accomplishment. Congratulations - I am sure when you are 97 and in the final stages of Alzheimer's you will still be remembering that fish!!!!!

Ummm... Darian, if he's in the final stages of Alzheimer's, I don't think he'll be remembering anything! :confused:

Darian
11-02-2009, 11:00 PM
Huh :?: :?: :?: