PDA

View Full Version : Remedy for drowned cell phone

Cal
10-30-2009, 11:56 AM
Taken a few dives in the rivers over the years but recently was the first time I forgot to stow my cell phone in its water-tight case.

Tried drying it out in the sun/heat on the dash board while changing to dry clothes, to no avail. Tried several other methods of drying it out over the next few days and no heating or other method worked.

Then I was turned on to a method that a buddy of mines jr high school kids use to fix their cell phones:

Take out the battery and memory chip, leave the back plate off the phone and stick it in a bag of RICE for a couple of days.

Rice acts as a natural dessicant and dried out all the condensation trapped in my phone.

Works perfectly now, saved me from having to re-enter all my phone numbers into a new $100 phone.

Scott V
10-30-2009, 12:08 PM
Fried rice or sticky rice?

Thanks for the tip, I had heard that before but forgot about it.

kbs
11-03-2009, 07:11 AM
I have used uncooked rice before and worked great. Had to let it sit for 24hrs. but saved all my numbers.

Dabalone
11-03-2009, 08:26 AM
Surprised, I didn't think anything could save them once they were wet, good to know. While on the subject of cell phones, Wall Mart has started offering a couple plans requiring no contracts. With cell phone plans getting pricier all the time these are great deals at $30 and a unlimited plan at $45.

DFrink
11-03-2009, 11:13 AM
Check out the Motorola Boulder (Verizon Phone) shock proof, dust proof, WATER RESISTANT up to 1 meter for 30 mins (my friend and I tested one and it held up), and has a digital compass with flash light. I've lost track of how many phones I have lost to the water.

jbird
11-03-2009, 12:07 PM
Check out the Motorola Boulder (Verizon Phone) shock proof, dust proof, WATER RESISTANT up to 1 meter for 30 mins (my friend and I tested one and it held up), and has a digital compass with flash light. I've lost track of how many phones I have lost to the water.

I actually have that phone. Havent dunked it yet tho....just a matter of time.

I have revived my sons phone twice from dunking. I burried it in a pile of dry rice and desecants.

DFrink
11-03-2009, 01:55 PM
Jbird,

I wish I would have heard of the rice trick a few years ago! I now carry insurance, still cost $50 to replace a phone. I have revived a few, but inevitably they end up dying a wet death. I'm waiting to get the Boulder phone when I get my "free" upgrade in a few months.

Jgoding
11-03-2009, 02:00 PM
Problem is not getting it dry, it's keeping it from corroding to hell afterwards. I rescued my wife's Iphone using a vacuum dessicator, worked fine for few days but went on the fritz after. Apple told the wife that's pretty typical with all the electronics stuffed into that thing.