PDA

View Full Version : Honolulu Bones

Flylining
10-28-2009, 03:10 PM
OK, I'm leaving for Honolulu to fish for big bones Saturday. I've done a lot of internet reading , a presentation at the Pleasanton ff show & booked some time with a guide to start. I plan to rent a kayak for part of it. Probably fish around 5 days.

Anybody been &/or done it & can impart any tips or suggestions?

Darian
10-28-2009, 07:45 PM
Google Louie The Fish for some additional info. He's a guide over there. His website is interesting.

Good luck.... :D :D

Kneedeep
10-28-2009, 07:48 PM
worth a look see.
http://www.hawaiibonefishing.com/

mems
10-28-2009, 11:31 PM
Aloha, just fire away what questions do you have? Who is your guide? I got a couple at the start of the month on Oahu, largest about 10lbs. They are big tough fish. It can be very windy. If they are tailing and it is the right tide it can be a blast. Let me know if you need any help, Mems.

Flylining
10-29-2009, 07:03 AM
Aloha, just fire away what questions do you have? Who is your guide? I got a couple at the start of the month on Oahu, largest about 10lbs. They are big tough fish. It can be very windy. If they are tailing and it is the right tide it can be a blast. Let me know if you need any help, Mems.

Thanks all for your advice
I'm going to fish a day with Louies son & see how it goes.

Mems, do have some ??? for you.

Do you use a regular fly line or hot weather line?

What length & # test leader do you use?

Do you need a stripping basket?

What size rod do you use?

What area did you fish on your last trip? I was going to try & fish airport, Hawaii Kai & Kaneohe

mems
10-29-2009, 09:20 AM
I was fishing with Louie one day, and then did a day by myself. He will show you a great fly the Rubba Cumba, the bones will eat that one. For rod, I like a 6wt, but an 8wt or 9 if windy are the rods of choice. You don't need a tropiccccafloater, it is not hot here like the bahamas in summer. For Leader a good bet is to go with straight 20lb fluro. You won't loose any fish that way. For me I usually use 15lb fluro for tippett. Get yourself a pair of tabis, felt soled reef shoes, and have fun. Have Louie take you to triangle or the kaneohe sand bar. you can also kayak out there by yourself. You picked a good moon they feed well right before the full moon. Good luck and tell Louie hi for me!
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a371/mems15/012_9A.jpg

frequent flyer
10-29-2009, 12:10 PM
I'd contact Clayton Yee at Nervous Water Fly Fishers (nervouswaterhawaii.com). He is the guy who discovered that bones could be stalked with flies in HI and THE authority on the pursuit. His shop has all the right stuff. The other guides may be fine, but they are essentially copying what he discovered. Clayton is a great guy, who also has another guide who is terrific. Check out his HI bonefishing blog on his website.

Bones in HI are very large avg. size, but not as numerous as other places. Usually in somewhat deeper water, and wind is a common problem, so very hard to see. Blind fishing is common practice and works often enough to be worthwhile. Clayton & Co. can find them if anyone can.

I would go with 8 or 9 wt. for wind and 15# tippet for big fish and coral. Tropical line, stripping basket not necessary, but helpful.

Flylining
10-30-2009, 06:03 AM
I'd contact Clayton Yee at Nervous Water Fly Fishers (nervouswaterhawaii.com). He is the guy who discovered that bones could be stalked with flies in HI and THE authority on the pursuit. His shop has all the right stuff. The other guides may be fine, but they are essentially copying what he discovered. Clayton is a great guy, who also has another guide who is terrific. Check out his HI bonefishing blog on his website.

Bones in HI are very large avg. size, but not as numerous as other places. Usually in somewhat deeper water, and wind is a common problem, so very hard to see. Blind fishing is common practice and works often enough to be worthwhile. Clayton & Co. can find them if anyone can.

I would go with 8 or 9 wt. for wind and 15# tippet for big fish and coral. Tropical line, stripping basket not necessary, but helpful.

Thanks for the info. I plan to visit Nervous Waters fly shop when I get there. Have you fished with Clayton or any of his guides?

Flylining
10-30-2009, 06:18 AM
I was fishing with Louie one day, and then did a day by myself. He will show you a great fly the Rubba Cumba, the bones will eat that one. For rod, I like a 6wt, but an 8wt or 9 if windy are the rods of choice. You don't need a tropiccccafloater, it is not hot here like the bahamas in summer. For Leader a good bet is to go with straight 20lb fluro. You won't loose any fish that way. For me I usually use 15lb fluro for tippett. Get yourself a pair of tabis, felt soled reef shoes, and have fun. Have Louie take you to triangle or the kaneohe sand bar. you can also kayak out there by yourself. You picked a good moon they feed well right before the full moon. Good luck and tell Louie hi for me!
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a371/mems15/012_9A.jpg

Mighty fine looking Oio. Hope to get a few. Weather forcast for next week shows 13mph winds at the airport- so it's probably a 9wt for me. I have a pair of Orvis flats boots from other trips elsewhere. Do you think the tabis are better? I'll tell Louie you said Hi. How long have you lived on the big island?

BTW, how long is the 20# leader you're using?

mems
10-30-2009, 09:38 AM
I would start with a 20lb 12 foot leader, if if gets much shorter than 9ft I would tie on some tippet, like 3 feet of 15lb. You can get more hits on 10 or 12lb, but these fish will break you off. I have had them straighten a hook like a close pin on the initial run. Strip strike and let em go and point the rod tip at the run. You can use the Orvis boots. Tabis are one of the best, least used inventions we have here in Hawaii. I use then every where, from Martha's vineyard to the Madison for wet wading. Great fishing shoes, and cheap, only $20. Have a great time, remember one fish is a great day on Oahu, and if you catch one it is something to brag about. Nervous Waters has one guide working for them now, Bob. Check out the shop and talk to Sean and Clay. They will be receptive and helpful to you, tell them you are a tourist. Mems.

frequent flyer
10-30-2009, 11:39 AM
I have fished with Clay and with Kevin, his former guide sidekick. They were both excellent and fishing with Clay, the pioneer of HI bonefish on a fly, is a special experience. I could be out of date, but as of a couple of months ago he had Ed (E.T.) guiding for him.