PDA

View Full Version : It's Truckee River time!

bigfly
10-26-2009, 01:14 PM
In case you are wating for an invitation, here it is!
Colors are great, and nobody's around.
If you have a dead drift, (for real) the fish are eating. They are spread out and it is possible to wade all the river right now. Be sneaky, be surgical, and be ready with a plan, Walter is in the house.

Frank R. Pisciotta
10-26-2009, 01:51 PM
J---I believe I saw your rig at Wild Cheeries today and was going to join you for a cup of octane.

Paul Dillon said he saw you and Doug on the BT a few days ago. I figured such and imagine you've been having fun in the canyon with the low flows. Some of these fish haven't been duped in awhile. You're right; good time to fly fish your turf!

The caveat is I got word that it is really crowded down there and to the state line.

Frank R. Pisciotta

PS---egg patterns on the menu yet?

jigger
10-26-2009, 07:23 PM
"its truckee river time"
Tell that to the watermaster.
I'd stay away from the truckee until we get a winter providing enough stored water from multiple sources available to keep consistent substantial cool flows throughout the upper river. It's been a zoo below the little truckee confluence and the fishing is way over hyped. Not what it was three years ago.

Frank R. Pisciotta
10-26-2009, 07:35 PM
Jigger----What happened three years ago?

Frank R. Pisciotta

jigger
10-26-2009, 07:38 PM
More message boards?

Frank R. Pisciotta
10-26-2009, 08:16 PM
Jigger---well this board, Blanton's & NCFFB have been around for more than three years. More blogs? I'd agree.

Recently I even started one myself. It replaced my Truckee UPDATE posted on my website and e-mailed it directly to over 400 recipients. I had been doing it religiously, minimally every 10 days, during the '97-'05 general trout season. I enjoyed writing it and people really enjoyed reading it. Unfortunately it became too tedious to do in a timely fashion keeping it creative, intriquing and most especially, reliable.

Blogging seems easier and less demanding...whenever you get the impulse. There are no copy-content nor time constraints. You can preach, teach, rant, inform, cause controversy and do whatever you wish. If people want to flame...which has occurred here in the past,,,hey, I can merely delete it.

Frank R. Pisciotta

PS...and we're not talking Tweetering and texting......

jigger
10-26-2009, 08:37 PM
Frank,
Thanks for being a very honest, forth giving person.
You deserve a real answer instead of a smart ass one.
I believe that draining all of tahoe's reserves mid summer, making up the majority of the truckee's flow the last two summers has been the main factor resulting in poorer fishing for me. Not only has this made worse than normal fishing in the summer, it has made, I'm guessing, a near dead zone above boca in the winter, possibly a second winter in a row.
It's probably a good thing they halved the flow pretty early this year below boca, so that maybe exposed brown trout redds will be minimized.

bigfly
10-29-2009, 11:59 AM
The watermaster has his hands tied by the water compact between CA. and NV. I don't mind that NV. gets 90% of the water (it is going there anyway), just the fact that the river ecology was given the short shrift. Changing flows on one tributary from 65cfs to 4cfs and then to 100+ in a very few days, right when our spawners are doing their thing. Seems near criminal abuse. Insensitive at least. The Truckee river is treated as a conduit for water/dollars. Just give us graduated flows and mirror seasonal fows a little.
The upper truckee is about right for this time of year, given it is our third year of drought, (going on four).
As to river health, I'm seeing more wild small fish, as opposed to seeing only tough big guys now and then. Looks like the regulations change and increased enforcement is helping.
I extended the invite, to all those guys who struggle all the hot summer long. (and whine about it). It is possible to enjoy fishing this river, just have to time it right!
Eggs?