PDA

View Full Version : Novice needs advice

Angus T
10-26-2009, 12:39 PM
I am new to fly fishing. I recently purchased a TFO Lefty Kreh Professional rod, 5wt 9ft. 4pc. and a Ross CLA2 reel. I would like some ideas on what fly line, backing, leader, etc. would be best. Any advice would be appreciated, Thanks.

Rich Leonetti
10-26-2009, 01:00 PM
I am new to fly fishing. I recently purchased a TFO Lefty Kreh Professional rod, 5wt 9ft. 4pc. and a Ross CLA2 reel. I would like some ideas on what fly line, backing, leader, etc. would be best. Any advice would be appreciated, Thanks.

What are you fishing for? Trout?

TaylerW
10-26-2009, 01:03 PM
if your fishing for trout, imho the best line overall is the rio gold, and with a 5wt you wont need to much backing, so id just go with your run of the mill 20lb spun backing....

and in the area of leaders ect. it just depends on the type of fishing your planning on doing. pick up some three packs of tapered leaders, like from 3-5x, and then tippet from 4x-6x. that will pretty much set you up for most trout situations in california.

hope this helps

Hairstacker
10-26-2009, 04:09 PM
Well, if I was in your shoes, here is what I would do:

1. Fly Line -- I would pick up a weight-forward 6 weight fly line, even though your rod was labelled as a 5 wt. by the manufacturer. By uplining it to a 6 wt. line, you'll feel the rod load better and it will help you learn to time your cast by feel (although you should also be watching the line the whole time when first learning to cast so you get the timing down). The box will be labelled "WF6F" or "WF-6-F." Lots of brand choices here, it really depends on your budget . . . figure on spending somewhere in the $40 - $70 range plus tax.

2. Backing -- Get 100 yards of Scientific Anglers 20 lb dacron backing.

3. Leaders -- For trout, panfish (e.g., bluegill), or small creek bass, get a few 9' 4X leaders, along with a spool each of 4X and 5X tippet material. For bigger bass, get a 9' 0X or 1X leader, along with a matching tippet spool. I happen to prefer Orvis' SuperStrong brand. If you want to save a lot of money here, learn to tie your own leaders -- it's pretty easy to do. By the way, they also sell wallets you can keep these things in.

4. Floatant -- Chemical that helps your flies float, if you plan on fishing dry flies and other surface flies.

5. Nippers -- For cutting monofilament.

6. Hemostats -- For removing hooks from fish.

7. Hook sharpener -- Check your hooks often and keep them "sticky" sharp. Test by running hook point across your thumb nail -- should grab instantly with the lightest pressure. Even new hooks often require sharpening before use.

8. Pack of small fly fishing bobbers (called "indicators") are often useful.

9. Container of small split-shot for helping subsurface flies sink in water current.

10. Hat -- Try to find one that has some built-in character that will age well. You might have to run over it a few times with the car to get it to look right.

11. Net -- Handy when trout fishing so that you don't have to touch/grab the fish and potentially cause it harm.

12. Thermometer -- Especially during change in seasons, helps you understand water conditions. Start keeping a log for the waters you frequent.

13. Tape measure

14. Small flashlight so you can find your car.

15. First-aid kit

16. Wading staff -- If you plan to wade in boulder-strewn rivers.

17. Fly boxes -- For carrying your flies. Lots of choices here too, from $2 Wal Mart 5-compartment Plano boxes to snazzy $50-$100+ boxes imported from England and elsewheres. Whatever you get, make sure it doesn't smash down the feathers on your flies.

18. Vest/waist-pack/chest-pack with which to carry/attach all this gear. Unbelievable amount of options here and all manner of pricing. Make sure whatever you get will hold your biggest fly box where you can get to it. If it's a vest, make sure it offers good shoulder support with a built-in yoke of some kind. Most learn eventually that the lighter you go, the more comfortable and less tiring it will be.

19. Book -- Get a decent introductory guide to fly fishing, such as Orvis Fly-Fishing Guide. It will help you learn the knots you need to know and answer many other questions you probably have (although you're more than welcome to ask them here, of course.)

20. Fishing License & Regulations -- License goes without saying but get a free copy of the regs and study them -- aside from ensuring compliance, you may learn other handy information, like where there may be some fish. :idea:

That's a start anyway. Did I forget anything? Wait until you get into tying your own flies! :D

jburge
10-26-2009, 07:44 PM
Mike,

That's one of the BEST summary "start" lists I've ever seen. Thanks!

John

Rich Leonetti
10-27-2009, 08:36 AM
I agree-very good list. I would probably say take a lesson too. I tried to go it alone for the first year. It was a struggle. Then I took a casting lesson and everything started to click. I am not sure where you live but there are alot of clubs around the sacramento area, many of which you could probably get free lessons. Just some suggestions.

Scott V
10-27-2009, 09:15 AM
Joining a fly club is a great idea, you would be amazed how much they have to offer. At first I was put off by "clubs" they just were not my thing, but I found a great group of people with the Granite Bay Flycasters and could not be happier, plus I have learned alot in return.

Angus T
10-28-2009, 11:54 AM
Everyone: Thanks for all the info you have provided. I appreciate it. Best of luck to you all.

Ty@Landpark
10-28-2009, 08:18 PM
Hi Angus T--
First, I'd like to welcome you to fly fishing and this message board community. I was in your same shoes a little more than a year ago. I agree with those that have commented that the list from Hairstacker is outstanding! It took significant effort to put the thought and detail into that list...very thoughtful. In looking back when I first started I took a on-the-water lesson with local fishing guide Charlie Gonzalez that paid huge dividends with learning how to read the water, tying knots, casting, and numerous tips. Charlie is a part of this community and a super nice guy...you can PM him if you're interested. I figure...you can either stumble around for a couple years to work at getting somewhat proficient, or, you can really accelerate your learning curve and seek out the experience, wisdom, and expertise of a highly skilled veteran whether it be a guide or some of the good folks you meet here. I'm by far from being an expert and would be happy to go out on the water with you...just drop me a PM and we can make plans.

Ty