PDA

View Full Version : Sierra Foothills Carp?

Bjorn
10-25-2009, 03:52 PM
Hey, anyone know where one might target carp anywhere near Placerville? I've never caught a carp on the fly, but I'd sure like to give it a try.

Bjorn

Jay
10-25-2009, 09:01 PM
Plenty of big carp up shallow in Folsom in the springtime.

Bjorn
10-25-2009, 09:58 PM
Thanks Jay. Anything before the spring, or do the carp not behave well for fly angling in the cold months?

David Lee
10-26-2009, 06:35 AM
Anything before the spring, or do the carp not behave well for fly angling in the cold months?

Bjorn -

Carp don't behave well for fly angling ANYTIME !! They are likely the most difficult fish to take on a fly in California . Try the smaller valley streams in late-Spring ..... it's quite the challange .

Good luck !

David

lee s.
11-14-2009, 01:40 PM
Bjorn,
Ya might be interested in snooping this site a bit.
http://www3.sympatico.ca/ianjames/carp.html
Looks like they eat pretty much all the time.....they just really, really, don't like company. ;-)
....lee s.

Paul B.
11-14-2009, 06:18 PM
Great site Lee, I loved the bit about the carp hound. PB

albchen
11-17-2009, 04:31 PM
Hey Bjorn,

I'm one of the those people who love "trash" fish. I will happily spend all day catching whitefish, suckers, and squawfish, but I have a special place for carp. They are the STRONGEST fish I have ever hooked. They are the only freshwater fish that will seriously give your expensive (>$100) 8wt. reel a SERIOUS workout. Two sources of information are Barry Reynolds book, and the carponthefly blog (http://carponthefly.blogspot.com/). John really knows his stuff, and his Columbia river experiences do apply to our CA reservoirs and rivers.

Although you can catch carp in the winter, your best chance of success is in the spring thru to fall. If you can find 1-2 foot deep flats on lakes, the experience can be like fishing for tailing bonefish. My favorite carp spots are Black Butte, Clear Lake, and Folsom. Count yourself lucky if you can hook 4-5 carp in a day, and extremely lucky if you can land 3!

Also, I think Jay Murakoshi chases carp as well. Maybe he'll chime in.

Best regards,
Albchen

Bjorn
11-19-2009, 09:11 AM
Thanks all for the advice!

Bjorn