PDA

View Full Version : Which Pontoon should I buy?

Kurt P
10-23-2009, 10:57 AM
I'm interested in getting a pontoon, but don't know much about them. I am hoping some board members can give me some recommendations regarding good ones to look at.
Mostly I will be using it for day trips on local valley rivers (American, Yuba, Feather), but do hope to do an overnight float or two on the East Carson in the spring, which can have some significant white-water for an amateur, like me.
My price range is below $2,000. Hoping I can find one that is of good quality/durability for that amount.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Kurt

Ben Kobrin
10-23-2009, 11:52 AM
Last year around this time I was in your same position with a similar price point. I ended up getting the North Fork Outdoors Outlaw Avenger XX. It was a great help to be able to talk to Dave Scadden in person so that he could steer me in the right direction. He is in the area now as a speaker at the CCFF Conclave in Lodi. It was at this event last year that I met and spoke with him. I have been VERY happy with my decision and if you are seriously considering this then I would make my way to the Conclave.

My friend and I have been on several trips to the same waters that you have mentioned. Ours easily floats two people plus beer...I mean gear. Feel free to PM with any specific questions and I'd be happy to help. Getting onto the water really does change the way you fish (for the better).

Our rig on a smaller valley river:

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j35/lazychuck1/BFFfirsttrip034.jpg

-Ben

TaylerW
10-23-2009, 12:12 PM
buy mine!

fishcat dlx 9 footer. green color mint condition.

Dabalone
10-23-2009, 12:43 PM
Lots of different pontoons to look at and people will have their preferences, water skeeter is one I like. I have one and feel for the money they would be hard to beat.

Hatch
10-23-2009, 05:05 PM
Before you spend a ton of money on a pontoon boat please check out the product put out by The Creek Company. They are an excelent product put out by people who are passionate about fly fishing and put a ton of thought into thier boats. I highly recomend them.
Maury Hatch
First Hatch Guide Service

Due to the tough economy thier boats can sometimes be found on ebay.

SHigSpeed
10-23-2009, 05:50 PM
I own a Creek Co. 'toon (ODC816) and it has treated me well. They make boats from VERY entry level to higher end so don't base your choice on the brand alone.

I also have a spare 816 for sale if anyone's interested. 8 foot boat, aluminum frame and oars, double outer skin, big pockets, light and breaks down small.

Sorry for the threadjack! :)

_SHig

pvsprme
10-23-2009, 06:18 PM
As an owner of 2 Scadden Skykomish Sunrise, I can say I'm happy with them. There are always some who'll have their favorites, you need to decide what you want. I suggest the following for consideration:
1 or 2 person; most 2 person set-ups are substantially heavier and require more muscle loading on roof, trailer whatever you choose to use. also more set-up time.
Class of water; Lots of servicable makes out there for stillwater or class I water. It appears you intend to use it on waters up to Class III or better, that puts you in a different and more expensive category.
Given the above intended use, you need to decide on a pontoon or a cataraft. If you don't know the difference, look it up. Jack's Catarafts, Skookum, Steelheader, Bad Cat and others are significantly different from a pontoon, and are heavier and pricier.
There are many deals out there in this economic climate. Recently a Scadden Sky with all the bells & whistles sold for less that $600 on this site. Cash talks and BS walks. If you can, look around on various boards. WFF is one that comes to mind.
Let us know what you decide on and enjoy!
Robert

Pound
10-23-2009, 07:14 PM
I am sort of in the same boat, no pun intended... I have decided on the Watermaster - kodiak; frameless, very light weight (less than 50lbs), more versatility, class IV rapids, 700b carrying capacity and fits in your trunk (and within your budget).

I've talked to several people with them, and I have yet hear a bad thing. But I am interested in hearing what anyone on the board has to say about them.

Pound

Reno Flytyer
10-23-2009, 07:40 PM
You're willing to spend enough money to get a top of the line product. Decide on how you will use your craft (moving water, stillwater, combination) and then consider purchasing a craft that is know for durability, weight, and customer service. Scadden and Outcast IMHO are two of the best. You'll be fine, just quantify your needs and go for it. Don't buy some cheap crap you'll be dissatisfied with a month from now...you're getting good advice here...check it out and take the plunge. (Believe me, weight is a big issue).
RFT

Kurt P
10-24-2009, 12:15 AM
Thanks, everyone for the great advice. I got home pretty late from work tonight, so I'll do more research on the various brands that were recommended tomorrow. Any further input would be appreciated, and thanks again for taking the time to help out.
Kurt
Ben, what/when is the CCFF conclave? I ran a quick google search and didn't come up with anything. Lodi's just down the road from me and it sounds like something I should look into.

NCL
10-24-2009, 05:51 AM
Take a look at Water Ready which is up in Oregon, the pontoons are made in the US and Bruce builds the platforms. If you are near Red Bluff you can take a look at mine which I have been toying with the idea of selling.

Ben Kobrin
10-24-2009, 09:42 AM
Kurt,

Check this link to an earlier post for info on the Conclave. Today's the last day so I hope you're not too late. Good luck!

http://www.kiene.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17646