PDA

View Full Version : Targeting Stripers/Finding LMB

Hatch
10-21-2009, 07:19 PM
Went to the Delta this afternoon targeting my favorite local fish, striped bass. Only had 2 hours to fish so I headed to one of my favorite spots and found the tide to be exactly wrong for stripers. I am borrowing a friend's boat, a 16 foot custom Valco all set up for hunting ducks. 40 hp prop with with a jack ass lift for shallow water and no trolling motor.(not the best striper boat but it floats and moves). Thanks Dave C. I had to slowly motor into position, shut it down, and cast 5 to 8 times and then do it again. What a pain in the butt. I could not find the fish with 7 stripes, but found a mess of eager small to medium LMB. I ditched the no trolling motor, natural drift thing, and anchored up.](*,) I stayed in the same spot for an hour. 14 fish hooked, 10 landed and multiple other followers and short strikers. My "AirHead" was getting bumped on almost every cast. All fish were caught on a "Charlies AirHead" custum painted (with a Sharpie) in silver/gold. 6 were on a G.Loomis GLX CC 8wt. matched with a Rio O.B.S. intermediate, 8 on a G.Loomis GLX classic with a Rio D.C.T. 250 grn. I am not a LMB guy, but it was a lot of fun and the Delta weather was perfect and I was all by myself.
In 10 days I will have my new boat and I can't wait.
Hatch

Bill Kiene semi-retired
10-21-2009, 08:42 PM
October is an exciting month in the Delta.

thanks for the report Maury.

Mrs.Finsallaround
10-21-2009, 09:46 PM
Hey Maury! Same thing happened to us week before last... were lookin' for stripes, but found nothin' but bass... Not that that's necessarily a bad thing! Looks like you've got a good spot there! Water is still really warm, so the LMB are quite active.;)