PDA

View Full Version : Delta Stripes on the Striper Piper - FINALLY

Mrs.Finsallaround
10-21-2009, 01:12 PM
This report is a little late... was hoping hubby would have the couple of pics that he took ready, but oh well. He can add them later....

Played in the east delta Saturday (10-17-09)... Hooked up and landed at least one fish in almost every spot we stopped at in the morning...

Foggy and cool until about 9 am. Water was around 65 degrees in most areas.

The 20"er on top (bubblehead) first thing around 7:30 am was AWESOME \\:D/.

After the fog burned off, switched to sub-surface and a chartreuse super minnow. I think I got one on that, till I lost the entire head of my line (fly, leader AND sinking head - 33' of T-11). Lesson learned ~ do not depend on hubby to maintain gear!](*,) I did, incidentally, learn how to set the rod back up, including tying all the knots though (thank goodness we had extra shooting heads in the bag!)

Ended up with about 3 or 4 more up to 3 lbs (sub-surface on a gray super minnow).

Then, of course, there was Dave Thompson.... who got a few, including a 6 lb'er to my 3 lb'er.... :confused: Not sure what fly he had on at that point.

Ah well.... Can't catch 'em all, all the time, I guess:roll:.

Found Mike Churchill and his pop on their boat around Frank's, I think. We showed him a few more spots, although NONE of us caught anything after that!

Called it quits around 4 pm, after being on the water since 7-ish. Paul's still kickin' himself for not making us stay out for the evening top-water bite....

Hairstacker
10-21-2009, 06:28 PM
Great stuff Robin -- sounds like you had a lot of fun, especially that one on top, good for you! :D

Concord Bob
10-21-2009, 06:59 PM
I'll be heading out to the delta later in the week to take a stab at some fly fishing for Stripers.

I'm geared up with sinking line on an 8wt, some clouser minnows, and a whole lot of optimism.

Beyond the concept of fishing the moving water around drop-offs, tules, and also rock walls, I'm in need of some other guidance.

In particular when you folks Striper fish, do you anchor and work a particular area or do you move along with the trolling motor and fish a particular stretch of water. Do you fish out from the shallows to the deeper water or from the deeper water in towards the bank ?

Any other thoughts you might have would be greatly appreciated. Optimism will only carry me so far.

Bob

MT
10-21-2009, 07:48 PM
I normally fish the delta with bow/trolling motor facing into the current. This allows you the most control unless the wind becomes a problem. As far as direction you normally cast, every spot is different but usually casts vary from straight across the direction of the current to varying degrees of upcurrent casts when more depth is needed during the retreive. Look for current seams by paying attention to the effect that obstructions to the current have on the water. (Tule berms/islands, points, intersections of channels, and my favorite..levee breaks, both big and small) Also look for weed edges and weedy flats next to deep water and if you catch em there make note of what the tide was doin when you did. Most of the time, the down-current end of an obstuction will have the most desirable seams for fish to hold or feed in. When I was in this game, I would often look at a slough as a giant trout stream but instead of boulders you have islands, berms, etc. You just position your boat and fish accordingly. Hopefully, they'll make it easy on you your first few times out and just boil all around the boat! Stripes can be a little tough at times but often they are just plain stupid and it becomes a game of being there when they are. I wish you lots of success and I hope I was of some help. To be honest, the best way to learn is to get out and get out often. Time on the water!! Hope you get lots of it. Mike

Concord Bob
10-21-2009, 08:12 PM
Thanks much MT.

Good thoughts and perspective. I'll put those thoughts into practice.

Also I know I need to just get out there and fish.

Mrs.Finsallaround
10-22-2009, 08:17 PM
http://i337.photobucket.com/albums/n370/paulegan81/Dave005.jpg

=;

This was one of three double hook-ups we had in one spot...