PDA

View Full Version : Saltwater hooks

Bjorn
10-20-2009, 07:36 AM
There are a lot of saltwater hooks out there... is one brand better than another? What do you use and why?

B-

Bob Laskodi
10-20-2009, 08:13 AM
Yes, there certainly are a bunch of hooks out there!!! I use whichever brand has the size & style hook I need. I've used Mustad, Daiichi, Tiemco, Dai-Riki, Targus, and The Fly Shops. All work and all are good. The Fly Shop hooks are quite the bargain, but I really don't have an absolute favorite!

David Lee
10-20-2009, 09:00 AM
Hmmmmm ..... where to start ?

Deceivers - I like the Mustad circle hooks . They don't rust/warp , and never drop fish . No hook setting issues , despite what the 'Gurus' will tell you . Mustad signature hooks are great , but Mustad drops hook models often .... making it hard to find a stable supply . The standard Mustad 3407/34007/34001 are slightly soft , need major honing , but are available most of the time . I use a lot of them .

Clousers - I use the EC-413 . No rust issues . I have opened them on large Stripers .... but no salty fishes so far . Flatten the barb and hone them , you should be OK . Great for a bunch of different fly styles .

I like Gamakatsu hooks , but they die fast in the surf - Dull/rusty in a short time from the sand . Gammys always seem available , so I continue to use them .

TMC hooks - nice and sharp , no rust problems .... but I've broken more of them than any other brand . So brittle that I don't use them much anymore .

I have used very few Partridge/Daiichi/Dai riki hooks , so I don't have an opinion on them .

David

Bill Kiene semi-retired
10-20-2009, 09:15 AM
They all seem to work well.

I go along with Bob and David where I use them depending on their proportions for tieing different patterns.

You have stainless steel hooks which normally don't rust as fast but are more expensive.

Then you have cadnium plated hooks which are pretty good till you sharpen the point which can then rust.

The old Mustads and Eagle Claws are not usually as sharp as the Japanese hooks.

For Tarpon I like the Owner Aki.

jbird
10-20-2009, 09:58 AM
Ive used a bunch of these and must say, they are as good as anything out there. I have littereally tied and fished hundered of these with no complaints at all. A lot of turbulent surf casting will dull most hooks and these are no exception. I just carry a hone for such occasions. The hook style is condusive to tons of saltwater patterns. decievers, sea habits. puglisis, clousers, charlies, to name a few. And at this price, its hard to buy anything else unless you need something specific.

http://flytiers.com/indexflytiers.asp?cmd=1&nCategoryID=1853