PDA

View Full Version : Spring Creek Hopper II Pram

michaeln
10-17-2009, 10:06 AM
Hi Folks

I just bought a used Spring Creek Hopper II (8 foot model) pram.

http://www.springcreekprams.com/8hopper.htm

It's ten years old but in great shape other than being kind of weathered from being stored outdoors. Right now I am refinishing the walnut-plugged ash gunwales. I've got one side done, sanded it down to bare wood with 80, then 150, then 220 grit, and put on a coat of tung oil (recommended by Jim at Spring Creek to refinish them). I will put on a couple more coats of tung oil, but you have to wait 24 hours between coats. I think it looks way way better now!

Unfortunately it looks like whoever refinished the gunwales last time slopped varnish on 'em with a floor mop. There are big ugly yellow varnish drips down both sides on the inside. Dunno if I can get that stuff off or not. Need something that will remove it without hurting the fiberglass.

I've wanted a pram for a while, and in fact was considering ordering this exact one, even down to the color and all the options (forest green with ivory "splash web" gelcoat, two carry handles on the stern and one on the bow, "Pocket Puller" anchor davits front & rear, trolling motor wiring setup with the battery under the pedestal seat, spare rod holders, Scotty flyrod holder). It even came with two 8lb mushroom anchors.

This boat, if I had it built new and shipped to me would have been almost $2400, which is quite a bit more than I wanted to spend. Bought this one for $500 and am doing the TLC part now. ;-)

Pics of the work in progress are at:

http://michaelnel.smugmug.com/Boats/Spring-Creek-Hopper-II-Pram/9979037_zSwVZ#683387335_ogDbL

I ordered composite oars and a pram dolly from Spring Creek, and a factory refurb Minn Kota Endura 30 from Cabela's, and a group 24 deep cycle marine battery.

The maiden voyage (with me as the skipper) will be Nov 15th at Baum Lake. Sure glad I won't be in my float tube!

http://michaelnel.smugmug.com/photos/682019638_y3gqo-L.jpg

Hairstacker
10-17-2009, 10:25 AM
michaeln, welcome aboard!

That's going to be one sweet setup when you're done, especially considering the price. Looking forward to more pictures. :cool:

michaeln
10-17-2009, 10:29 AM
michaeln, welcome aboard!

That's going to be one sweet setup when you're done, especially considering the price. Looking forward to more pictures. :cool:

Hopefully I'll be able to post some of me with the pram at Baum, holding a big trout!

For an 8' pram this thing sure is roomy. It has a 56" beam and is 44" across the bottom on the inside, and the sides are 16.5" tall.

Scott V
10-17-2009, 11:09 AM
Sweet looking ride. I really like the color.

michaeln
10-17-2009, 11:35 AM
Sweet looking ride. I really like the color.

I like the color too. It's pretty subdued right now because it is weathered and not glossy. I could polish the gelcoat on the hull and the green would get darker and shinier, but heck, it's a fishing boat, and the dull finish is probably preferable.

I'm refinishing the gunwales not to make it pretty, but because I want the wood protected from the elements. Not much you could do to this boat to make it pretty anyway.

Dabalone
10-17-2009, 11:46 AM
Spring Creeks are the cats meow of small prams, nice. I think I can safely say you will not miss the winter time float tubing.

Ed Wahl
10-17-2009, 12:27 PM
Welcome to the pram world Michaeln.

That one's a beauty.

Except for protecting the materials I wouldn't worry about looks too much. Old battle scars just add character.

I have an 8ft Metalhead pram, and I love that boat.

Ed

Bill Kiene semi-retired
10-17-2009, 03:31 PM
Congratulations.........

We started fishing out of small 8 foot TP&L fiberglass tri-hull prams in the 1970s.

I use to sell them at my old shop across the street from here.

Once, we all ordered one with a total of 8 shipped to the shop at one time.

I think they we $300?

Prams are so cool.

michaeln
10-17-2009, 03:50 PM
Thanks guys. I almost bought a pontoon boat, but it has about as many hassles as a float tube.

With a pram, no costume is required. Set it in the water, go fish. I like that. Since I bought a dolly for it from Spring Creek, I will be able to do all the rigging on dry land (put the trolling motor on, put the battery in, put the oars and anchors in, dump the fishing gear in) at my car, then roll it down to the water, throw the collapsable dolly in and take off.

As an older guy with Type II diabetes, what I am REALLY looking forward to is being able to drink as much as I want (not talking about alcohol here) and take care of the disposal of same discretely, without having to go back to shore, a major PITA in a float tube with waders and flippers on.

SHigSpeed
10-17-2009, 06:43 PM
I LOVE the Civic topper! Anything is possible...

LOVE it...

_SHig

michaeln
10-17-2009, 06:47 PM
I LOVE the Civic topper! Anything is possible...

LOVE it...

_SHig

I'm pleased with the setup. With the extended rack, the gunwale brackets and the four tiedowns vee-d to the corners of the car, it's rock-solid stable. I drove it in a crosswind and yeah, you can tell it's there, but slow down from 70 to 55 and it's OK in a crosswind. I have upgraded the suspension on the Civic (KONI) and that helps too I'm sure.

I bet it's gonna hammer my gas mileage though!

michaeln
11-01-2009, 07:32 PM
We got the Hopper II out on the water finally yesterday (Saturday 10/31). We launched it at Lake Alpine and it was a gorgeous, warm, windless day. Everything worked great, the anchor systems, the oars, the fishfinder, and the trolling motor.

She's all ready for the November 13-15 Baum Lake trip!

http://michaelnel.smugmug.com/Boats/Spring-Creek-Hopper-II-Pram/mikepramclose800/700193480_po9oU-O.jpg

Hairstacker
11-01-2009, 07:55 PM
Hey, looks great!! Looks like you're all set up now. Have you picked a name for her yet? I predict a lot of fish are going to be caught out of that one. :D

michaeln
11-02-2009, 09:03 AM
Have you picked a name for her yet?

Nope. I figure she'll tell me when she's ready.

I predict a lot of fish are going to be caught out of that one. :D

I hope your prediction comes true, thanks!