PDA

View Full Version : Glo bugs

Dabalone
10-12-2009, 04:41 PM
Out of curiosity, do you consider glo bugs as a legit fly. Not trying to start any argument and a simple yes or no is fine but if you care to elaborate its ok also.

Not being a avid steelhead fisherman I did use them some with spinning gear years ago, and now occasionally use them as a dropper with the fly gear. Its always interesting to hear different opinions and points of view from flyfisherpeople (is that the correct word now?) and respect everyones views.

Scott V
10-12-2009, 04:50 PM
I personally feel if you think it is then use it. Who cares what others think, but that is just my opinion. It does imitate something that the fish eat naturally in their habitat.

Dustin Revel
10-12-2009, 05:42 PM
I think Darian would classify it as a "flure"

it does not imitate a bug, but it is tied with thread. by that logic i suppose streamers are also flures that we often use while fly fishing. to me it really doesn't matter I even use beads in certain conditions.

Darian
10-12-2009, 06:27 PM
A Glo-Bug is a Flure all right.... Actually, it's anything you want to name it but be sure to call it effective. :smirk:

We sure have had some interesting discussions about what is a fly in the past. With winter coming on, I expect that more discussion will result.... OK by me. :D :D

David Lee
10-12-2009, 06:33 PM
Tyed the proper way with thread ?? Yes , it's a fly .

Slipped onto the hook and secured with glue (glo-balls , I think they were called) or plastic bead melted onto the hook ??? Nope .

Just my opinion . Off to tye w/ epoxy and plastic hair now .....

D.~

Charlie Gonzales
10-12-2009, 07:28 PM
Definately. I would rather fish them over a pegged egg, but thats not what this thread is about. Are they as effective as a pegged egg? Probly not.

Dustin Revel
10-12-2009, 08:31 PM
Definately. I would rather fish them over a pegged egg, but thats not what this thread is about. Are they as effective as a pegged egg? Probly not.

i would have to disagree, but thats a different discussion

jbird
10-12-2009, 08:57 PM
David Lee is technically right. I believe thread must be used in the "construction" of a fly for it to legally be a fly and be suitable for fly only waters.

As far as opinion, you can split a lot of hairs on this one. I believe streamers are 100% flies. What about Wooly buggers? theyre not "bugs". They are suggestive patterns. Are suggestive patterns not flies? People up here in Kamloops use a lot of snail patterns. What about those?

If they are on the fish's menu and are tied on a vise with thread, theyre flies.

Darrin.Deel
10-12-2009, 08:57 PM
I consider them a legit fly mostly becuase it is way more legit than what i normally do, which is peg beads.

Is this a bead war thread yet?

Fochetti
10-12-2009, 09:19 PM
Boo, swing flies. Steelhead deserve better!!

Please no arguments just joking around. Kindof.

Jgoding
10-12-2009, 10:02 PM
Is it a fly... yes. Would I fish one or ever peg a bead... no. Will I swing an egg sucking leach... yes. Is that any different... not sure.

shawn kempkes
10-12-2009, 10:23 PM
glo bug and all egg patterns are the same as the corkies or beads the flossers use below nimbus dam ,thermolito afterbay on the feather and the mad river.

I say this after watching a fly fisherman on the Hoh river fishing a two fly rig and a bead dropper fowl hook about 10 salmon.flossing is a effective way to fish if you want to put groceries on the table but IMHO it is very unethical.

Bruce Berman
10-12-2009, 11:48 PM
Shawn,
You can "floss" a salmon with any fly. It depends on how it's fished.
I've high-sticked and nymphed with glo bugs and the fish purposefully grabbed my eggs. Gotta disagree with you on this one...are jigs flies? They're just bead heads that are a bit oversized. (Just tugging your line)

Hairstacker
10-13-2009, 12:14 AM
Yarn strapped with thread to a hook in the vise with the intention of getting a fish to eat it? That's a fly. :D

shawn kempkes
10-13-2009, 05:07 AM
Shawn,
You can "floss" a salmon with any fly. It depends on how it's fished.
I've high-sticked and nymphed with glo bugs and the fish purposefully grabbed my eggs. Gotta disagree with you on this one...are jigs flies? They're just bead heads that are a bit oversized. (Just tugging your line)

I was hoping you would take the bait. Theres been alot of flossing going on around here lately both fly and gear.
I am not saying it doesnt happen where fish grab an egg on purpose. Hell I have seen Steelhead come up and bite on a bobicator. However I think most fish are flossed especially on the american when some people are fishing over steelhead that are on the redds up near sunrise. One spring I watched two guys standing near a redd for two hours trying to catch the fish that were in it using glo bugs.

Darian
10-13-2009, 08:46 AM
Hmmm,.... Is a jig head any different than a bead head on a fly :?: :?: For my purposes, I don't see any difference.... How about all of the new molded plastic heads on hooks that're sold in fly shops as Sculpin heads.... :?: :?:

At this point, I call something that I've constructed whatever I want to call it.... :lol: :lol:

Bruce Berman
10-13-2009, 09:24 PM
I was hoping you would take the bait. Theres been alot of flossing going on around here lately both fly and gear.
I am not saying it doesnt happen where fish grab an egg on purpose. Hell I have seen Steelhead come up and bite on a bobicator. However I think most fish are flossed especially on the american when some people are fishing over steelhead that are on the redds up near sunrise. One spring I watched two guys standing near a redd for two hours trying to catch the fish that were in it using glo bugs.

Hey, I'll bite, but my favorite fly in a rather log-strewn section of a beautiful little coastal stream is a red glo bug. I don't mind losing them in all the snags and the wild fish hit them hard...WHEN they hit that is. BTW, I HAVE flossed salmon with a Purple Peril. Like I said, any fly can be used to floss. You're right about the AR, redds and the flossing that goes on there.

STEELIES/26c3
10-13-2009, 11:46 PM
glo bug and all egg patterns are the same as the corkies or beads the flossers use below nimbus dam ,thermolito afterbay on the feather and the mad river.

Not all corkie drifters are snaggers, liners, flossers...

Tell Corkie-Mike on the Russian River he's a flosser and you'll drown. He won't even have to touch you... just give you that cold, cold stare and you'll melt in to the river, haha...

Corkies, bumper eggs, glo-bugs, okie drifters, and any other of the myriad array of semi-buoyant, spherically-shaped 'flures' (yes, even beads) can actually be very effectively and legitimately fished for steelehad... It's all in what you do with it.

I personally never use beads for steelhead but most of the other aforementioned, most definitely and usually fitted with a #6 to #12 single barbless hook at the end of a 10" to 16" leader <-- therein lies the difference between an angler and a snagger IMHO

Damn Gear Guys :D

flygolf
10-14-2009, 08:27 AM
I've seen way more steelhead flossed on the "A" swinging a fly than others indicating. Indicating has more of a verticle (line) presentation than swinging does. I can't believe I got sucked into this thread.

GeorgeRevel
10-14-2009, 09:31 AM
1st Glo Bug is a fly. hook + yarn + thread= one really effective fly. And yes its still a fly on the end of a spinning rod.

Shawn I have watched 2 guys on the AR with an 6-7 SGS weights on a 9ft leader pulling down their fist size yarnies at sunrise. Didn't matter what they had on even if was a humpy, that is a snagging rig. I called over the game warden who was sitting in his truck down the road. Some guys just need a tug whatever the cost. Most of the guys I see indo fishing on the AR seem pretty inexperienced and most likely don't know any better.

About a year ago I ran into this almost exact situation (after the 1st story above). This guy had just walked right through where i was swinging to about 6 ft from the far bank. I had just started swinging the near edge of the bucket so I was a little bummed that I didn't get to swing it. but its just fishing so I kept my cool and chatted the guy up a little bit and asked if I could help him out. I re-rigged him to a 4 ft indo rid with small copper john rubberleg and a globug with 1 bb. I told him about the steelheads journey and where they like to hold. Explained that his rig would be prone snagging fish, and that if he walked in on a hole that WJorg was on like he did to me he might be killed.

I helped him for about three hours and he landed 4 nice 4-5 lbs steelies (more than I would have caught swinging anyway) He later admitted to me he went to the orvis store and that was the rig they showed him. he was a steelhead virgin. This guy now has fished BC twice and has new respect for DA CHROME.

This experienced changed my approach. When I see people snagging, flossing, bamboozleing, molesting, or engaging in pure tom foolery with fly rod I assume they want something better (after all they are using a fly line not a spinning rod with a lead wrapped treble hook). Assume ignorance and see if you can help them.

Fishing is fun! Don't bash people for not having the same respect for the chrome you have. Help them understand why you do.

DFrink
10-14-2009, 09:43 AM
1st Glo Bug is a fly. hook + yarn + thread= one really effective fly. And yes its still a fly on the end of a spinning rod.

Shawn I have watched 2 guys on the AR with an 6-7 SGS weights on a 9ft leader pulling down their fist size yarnies at sunrise. Didn't matter what they had on even if was a humpy, that is a snagging rig. I called over the game warden who was sitting in his truck down the road. Some guys just need a tug whatever the cost. Most of the guys I see indo fishing on the AR seem pretty inexperienced and most likely don't know any better.

About a year ago I ran into this almost exact situation (after the 1st story above). This guy had just walked right through where i was swinging to about 6 ft from the far bank. I had just started swinging the near edge of the bucket so I was a little bummed that I didn't get to swing it. but its just fishing so I kept my cool and chatted the guy up a little bit and asked if I could help him out. I re-rigged him to a 4 ft indo rid with small copper john rubberleg and a globug with 1 bb. I told him about the steelheads journey and where they like to hold. Explained that his rig would be prone snagging fish, and that if he walked in on a hole that WJorg was on like he did to me he might be killed.

I helped him for about three hours and he landed 4 nice 4-5 lbs steelies (more than I would have caught swinging anyway) He later admitted to me he went to the orvis store and that was the rig they showed him. he was a steelhead virgin. This guy now has fished BC twice and has new respect for DA CHROME.

This experienced changed my approach. When I see people snagging, flossing, bamboozleing, molesting, or engaging in pure tom foolery with fly rod I assume they want something better (after all they are using a fly line not a spinning rod with a lead wrapped treble hook). Assume ignorance and see if you can help them.

Fishing is fun! Don't bash people for not having the same respect for the chrome you have. Help them understand why you do.

Sometimes when I read these posts I get frustrated, both at the know it all self righteous people and those who are ignorant or just don’t care. Then I read something like what George wrote and it keeps me coming back. Very well put.

mr. 3 wt.
10-14-2009, 09:45 AM
That's a nice story, unfortunately, not all folks are like that guy you talked too. Some are fully aware of there misdeads and play stupid when confronted. You definately crossed paths with an angler that is also a good person. I have seen blatant snaggers that in the evening, turn into wanna be gang bangers, that will not listen to a word you say. There are times when the AR is an ugly place. Just use wise discreation when confronting people out there. Not worth breaking a knuckle on someones jaw.

Dustin Revel
10-14-2009, 10:25 AM

taking notes on that snagging rig... and politeness

Darian
10-14-2009, 10:35 AM
George,.... Great post. Informative, good perspective, no attitude. :nod: Thanks. :D :D

GeorgeRevel
10-14-2009, 01:37 PM
That's a nice story, unfortunately, not all folks are like that guy you talked too. Some are fully aware of there misdeads and play stupid when confronted. You definately crossed paths with an angler that is also a good person. I have seen blatant snaggers that in the evening, turn into wanna be gang bangers, that will not listen to a word you say. There are times when the AR is an ugly place. Just use wise discreation when confronting people out there. Not worth breaking a knuckle on someones jaw.

Agreed..... Would like to think more of our peers.... That being said you can tell the ones that there is hope for.... Generally.

Dabalone
10-14-2009, 08:25 PM
Consensus is glo bugs are flies, I agree. I think traditionally a fly is still looked at as being tied with fur, hair and feathers, but with the introduction of all the man made synthetics and materials even the most entrenched traditionalists are dabbling with the new stuff and becoming more accepting.

Since glo bugs is the topic it was a gimme that the flossers, liners, beaders or whatever name is given for snaggers would enter the discussion. Intent is key here because lots of people swing things on long leaders thru salmon spawning areas including the fly guys. Its sooner rather than later you will foul hook something where fish are stacked up no matter what equipment you choose to use. Sure, there are those with bad intentions and they are usually in the same spots year after year and easy to spot. I choose to believe by far most of the people scattered up and down our rivers are legit and probably love chasing steelhead as much as the rest of you, they may not choose the gear and setup you endorse but I can't figure why people would let that make even a blip in their day.