PDA

View Full Version : Entomology Book

djwattswatts
10-11-2009, 05:37 PM
Am looking to learn more about this and wanted to see if anyone knows of any good books. Yes i know there are books out there and i have seen a few at book stores but i wanted to see if anyone knows or any good ones that are simple and easier to understand then others.

Thanks for the help

Darian
10-11-2009, 06:00 PM
DJ,.... one of the books I like is "Fish Food" by Ralph Cutter. Good info/read and not so technical as an academic tome. Even has a chapter on Threadfin Shad in it. That brings to mind that you shouldn't ignore forage fish or crayfish as food for Trout. There're several books out on any of these baits and all of the sub-divisions of them. Pick a basic book for your first read and then advance to the others....

Have fun exploring. :D :D

Hairstacker
10-11-2009, 06:24 PM
When I was in your shoes looking for a straight-forward, comprehensive but easy-to-understand volume, I picked up Dave Hughes' "Handbook of Hatches." I don't think I could have made a better choice and read it from cover-to-cover. I highly recommend it and posted a review of it here:

http://www.kiene.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5793

Terry Thomas
10-11-2009, 09:02 PM
Western Hatches, Hafele and Hughes.

MarcP
10-15-2009, 05:16 PM
If your looking for a simple guide I recommend Jim Schollmeyer's Hatch Guide for Western Streams. If you want something a little more in depth then I recommend the classics Caddisflies by Gary Lafontaine and Hatches II by Causti and Nastasi.

Marc P.

Fats
10-25-2009, 08:55 PM
What are you trying to do with the book? Figure out hatches that are taking place on a stream as they come off or doing some home work on a kick screen to see what is in the water. The different use will push you in different directions...

Larry S
10-30-2009, 04:52 PM
I've seen Cutter's video - "bugs Underwater" and just finished the "Fish Food" book.
Recommend both. Lots of insight and useful info. Fun read!
Have also read Dave Hughes "Handbook of Hatches" which is excellent. Many of the
magazines have great columnists and articles. If I lived in an area of California that
was blessed with streams and natural lakes, I would check with the area colleges to
find a "bug" class to enroll in.
Larry S
San Diego

JayDubP
11-01-2009, 12:46 PM
MarcP has the perfect post. Jim Schollmeyer's "Hatch Guide for Western Streams" is concise and great pictures. You can buy a used copy for $12-15 on eBay or at Amazon.

troutbm
11-18-2009, 07:52 PM
I'll second Dave Hughes Handbook of hatches.

Rich Leonetti
12-14-2009, 04:18 PM
I think Sierra college in Rocklin has entemology classes...If I am not mistaken I thought Bill Carnazzo taught them. Maybe Bill could shed some light..... I do have both Fish Food and Shollenmeyer's book and both of them are good. Fish Food is a fun read and The Western Hatches shows good examples of what bugs and the flies they represent.

bigfly
12-17-2009, 11:28 AM
More than a small hatch guide, less than a "tomb". Fresh Water Entomology, by Patrick McCafferty is the best $50. I've ever spent on fishing. I recommend it as a toilet book, and much like the "Tao", wherever you open it, there is something you need to know.
Cool feature is some parts are directed to ecologists and fishermen. Mine is dogeared and water stained, and goes with me all the time. This is a "life sport" and there is a lifetime of info provided. (Nice illustrations too.)