PDA

View Full Version : Truckee

djwattswatts
10-11-2009, 04:48 PM
Went to the Truckee Sat went up there with my Dad and my Nephew both got one hit. It was are second time up there, we were fishing by the Boca dam and fished under the bridge and all the way down to the bend. Fished that really deep pool just after you come from under the bridge nothing. I landed one little one like 4 inches let it go it was on a hairs ear. We were using Copper Johns, stone files and October caddies. With 10 foot leaders about 15 inches of tippet on 4X and one or two little split shots. Talking with a guy out there on the river and he was saying the river is fishing slow right now but he caught 4 lol in the canyon dont really know were that is.

CODY
10-11-2009, 04:56 PM
I fished on sat from the hirschdale bridge down about a mile or so. Landed about a dozen fish including a piggy brown. This was my second time on the truckee, so i dont now if it was fishiong slow, but i had a great time.

jigger
10-12-2009, 06:07 PM
Sounds about right DJ. I haven't fished it in two weeks. The water is a bit cloudy from boca. Quick level drop? Truckee gets a lot of hype and it's supposed to be red hot in the fall, but being at the right places at the right time is the ticket. The flows and sources of flow are changing almost daily.
Congrats Cody, that is one heck of day!

CODY
10-12-2009, 09:00 PM
Thanks Jigger, sounds like i just got a bit of luck and had an above average day on the truckee. Either way, I want to go back!

bigfly
10-19-2009, 12:51 PM
Not to preach to the choir, the Truckee is a challenging but truly fun river! The hatches have never been totally predictable on this river, but this year was a bigger puzzle than usual.
Little yellow sallies are moving around now, so that nymph would be a good bet.
Clients have turned several large fish on them.
Swinging streamers is a wise choice too.