PDA

View Full Version : nikon or canon?

troutkid
10-08-2009, 09:50 AM
nikon or canon? lookin into the d90 or 50d. any in:-ksights

Amador
10-08-2009, 10:38 AM
That's a loaded question. I recently switched to Canon after shooting with Nikons for years. Here is my 2 cents-

Nikon Pros-
Excellent controls
Better AF System
Better ergonomics
More user friendly
Better flash system

Canon Pros-
Overall image quality
Huge lens selection
Better Auto White Balance
Better color rendition

Of couse this is a complete generalization and any one of these points could be argued depending on the model.

Both of the models that you have listed are fine cameras, but the D90 offers video if that is important to you. There isn't much difference in terms of image quality in these cameras, so all things considered I would go with the Nikon. Before you make this decision though, think about what you would like to do with the camera in the future and research the quality of the lenses that you may want to upgrade to.

Hope this helps!

Chris

Rich Leonetti
10-09-2009, 09:20 AM
I don't know much about the digital SLRs but at least the point and shoots the cannon seems to have less lag time from the time the button is pressed to the time it takes the picture.... I don't know what the actual term for that is but I call it lag time.

Dean Y.
10-09-2009, 11:42 AM
I think the most important variable under *almost* any circumstance is the photographer. Pick up both cameras and bring them to your eye. Does one feel better? Does one just fit your hand noticeably better than the other? If you have a reasonably clear winner, then that would be the camera I'd purchase.

If they both feel equally good, then you might consider some other factors. That is, do you own own any *quality* lenses from either Canon or Nikon, or have a friend who is willing to share their high-end lenses with you? Being able to borrow a friend's higher-end Nikon or Canon's L-series glass would be a significant factor in my book. You might not want to invest in a $1200 lens when getting started and having the option of borrowing for the day or longer could save some $ and help you decide if that particular lens would be useful to you.

Good luck!

bigfly
12-16-2009, 02:55 PM
The term for the delay is buffer lag.(The time it takes the info to be transfered to memory.) The more expensive cameras have a more expensive buffer, and so a shorter lag, but it may also be the setting on style of photo taken, Landscape, portrait, action, etc...
I was a photo major, and still shoot a few weddings with a Nikon system. Canon seems to be slightly ahead as they issued new lenes, where Nikon tried to keep the lenses they already made. This made sense to me for a while because I owned a bunch.
Found new joy with WP olympus. I have it on a gear retreaver and get more fish pictures with less worries. Picked up a small hard-case at REI put the retractor on the case. Canon and Nikon both have the Raw format, this is the way to go if you want to enlarge photos much. Works great! I suggest you go to www.troutnut as well, for a fair disscusion on cameras.
Cool bugs too!