PDA

View Full Version : any thoughts on the CLA?

TaylerW
10-07-2009, 11:52 PM
looking at getting one for my 6wt,

any reviews.??

going to be using it for steelhead, trout and bass

WinterrunRon
10-08-2009, 12:10 AM
It's the only reel I own. Bought and sold several I ended up not liking as much, all were more expensive. #3 is plenty for steelhead, #4 if you think it's too small (perfect for stripers, however). #5 & #6 are great spey reels. Good luck with your decision. Ron

Rich Leonetti
10-08-2009, 09:22 AM
I own 2 of them and a spare spool- I love them. For the price I don't think there is alot that compares.

TaylerW
10-08-2009, 02:44 PM
yea i think im just going to go with it.

i had the old cimmarons and i liked them

bonish
10-08-2009, 03:53 PM
When we were driving back through Idaho in June, the Sportsman's Warehouse in Meridian, ID had these on a closeout table, an extra 30% off the lowest marked price, which was only 90 bucks, meaning these reels could have been had for 63 dollars. And stupid me didn't buy all they had! Not even one! You may want to check with some of their locations to see if they have them on sale as they will take cc info over the phone and ship to you.

Darrin.Deel
10-08-2009, 04:38 PM
Before you drop the money on the CLA, check out the flyrise. it only retails for 95 bucks for the #3 model. the number 3 model is a 5-6-7 and the 4 is a 6-7-8. I bought 2 #3's and 1 #4 this year and i really like the #4 on my 6 weights. the flyrise has the same drag as the evoloution model, which is pretty amazing considering that the evoloution is more than twice the price. I use these reels quite a bit on the lower sac, feather, and yuba, but I have also taken them to lakes where we were midging with 7x tippet and it did just fine.

don't rule out the CLA, which is a outstanding reel, but check out the flyrise if you're on a budget.

Rich Leonetti
10-09-2009, 09:16 AM
Before you drop the money on the CLA, check out the flyrise. it only retails for 95 bucks for the #3 model. the number 3 model is a 5-6-7 and the 4 is a 6-7-8. I bought 2 #3's and 1 #4 this year and i really like the #4 on my 6 weights. the flyrise has the same drag as the evoloution model, which is pretty amazing considering that the evoloution is more than twice the price. I use these reels quite a bit on the lower sac, feather, and yuba, but I have also taken them to lakes where we were midging with 7x tippet and it did just fine.

don't rule out the CLA, which is a outstanding reel, but check out the flyrise if you're on a budget.

I have a flyrise also unfortunately I am some what of a clumsy fool and nailed it on a rock...it didn't even hit that hard.....the good thing was Ross's service. It cost me 30 bucks to repair. 10 to ship and 20 for parts.... the best part was that they didn't repair it they just replaced it. I think any Ross would be awesome.

WinterrunRon
10-09-2009, 09:35 AM
I've owned two Evolutions. Gorgeous piece of engineering, light as air, however, both drags were always sticky and the tolorances so tight that anytime you simply placed it in the stream, the finest amount of debris/sand would cause it to foul and grind to a hault. Never a problem with a CLA. Best value for a quality reel in my opinion.

Rick J
10-09-2009, 11:53 AM
my CLA gave me problems this past week on my Grand Ronde float - seemed to go into free spool - I would remove and replace the spool and it generally worked for a bit but then messed up again - I was mainly using other gear so did not mess with it much and need to look at it in detail and maybe send back to Ross but up to last week I have really liked the reel (have the 6 for a 450 skagit)