PDA

View Full Version : Pyramid lake fly line question (help please)

Digger38
10-07-2009, 04:06 PM
Hey everyone,
I had a question about Pyramid Lake fly fishing. I have my river 6wt rod with floating line and I have my 8wt rod that I used when I lived near the delta with a floating line and a 12ft fast sink tip. My question is can I use the line I already have for my 8wt and catch fish from the shore at Pyramid lake or do I need to switch lines completely? If I need to switch lines what type of line can I use can I get away with an WF8S line or do I need the $74.00 Shooting head 8wt sinking line. I will only be fishing from the shore with waders on. Please help.

Darrin.Deel
10-07-2009, 04:21 PM
you should be fine. Use the 8 wt while stripping and the 6 wt while midging. don't forget your ladder. the 12' head fast sink might not be optimal, but that dosen't mean you won't catch fish on it.

JD
10-08-2009, 10:29 AM
Agree with Darrian. Give it a shot and re-evaluate when you get back after learning a bit more about the water. A more typical line for your 8 weight would be an integrated shooting head like a Teeny 200 (Bill carries them) which will stay down better than your sink tip, for a longer presentation. A fast sinking WF8S would probably work but is a bit more than you need and would be more difficult to cast than a shooting head. Regardless, the rig you have will work just fine. BTW, despite what people will tell you, the ladder is optional...of course, that's another debate...

jayclarkflyfishing
10-08-2009, 07:12 PM
Yes a 12' tip will work,but in heavy waves/current(there can be a strong current at Pyramid) it will get pulled out of the zone decreasing your chances of catching fish.A fast sinking head(t-11 or t-14) and an inexpensive running(amnesia is $3.99 for 200') line is another option.I have fished integrated lines with a lot of success,but currently throw 25' of t-11(274 grains) attached to 100' of running line on my 9'6" 8# XP.Not only does this system cast well it gets down FAST and catches fish.

Jay

Digger38
10-08-2009, 07:26 PM
Well I had nothing to do after the kids went to school this morning and I decided I would head out to Pyramid and see what happens with my floating line with the sinking tip. I had 2 that just tapped the olive bugger and one that just hit it hard I fought it for about 15-20 seconds the off he came. That one I should have had, when I pulled in my line I saw that my knot to my fly came undone. I just used a clinch knot and I should have just used the improved clinch knot. This is the only pic I have for the day unfortunatelly. I really appreciate all of your help. I have a friend who has unused fly line I think he said Airflo brand that is WF8S 7" per second. He said I can have it for $20.00 if I want it. I could see my fly was having trouble getting to the bottom and staying there when I retrieved it today. Do you think this would be better line to have for pyramid and I coiuld add a shooting tip to it?
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g118/dpsa98/PyramidLake10-8-09001.jpg

Chris Evison
10-08-2009, 09:30 PM
I say get the Airflo line from your buddy and use it. Learn to double haul if you don't already know how. Best knot to use at lake is the non-slip mono loop knot. You can find it in books or on the web. I'm guessing you live in the Reno area- Go by Reno fly shop and they'll show you the knot and give you tips. For leader out there go heavy. I use straight 10lb no taper, about 6ft long.

You definitely want your whole line to sink under. This way the waves and current won't hamper your ability to detect strikes. Keep rod tip at least 6" to 1ft or even deeper in the water.

When you think you have a grab use a strip strike to set the hook. Do not lift to set as this pulls the fly out of fishes vision. Using strip strike, if you miss just keep stripping bcuz fish will follow and hit again. When I guide people there (I work for Reno Fly Shop) I tell them to keep stripping til you feel like your dragging the fish then set!

Good luck out there- It is one of the best stillwater fiheries in the country!

jayclarkflyfishing
10-09-2009, 07:47 AM
Good stuff Chris!I second the idea of keeping the rod tip witin a few inches of the surface of the water.During the winter the bite can be VERY subtle and hard to detect.Keeping a tight line between strips and the rod tip a few inches above the surface watch for the line to go slack.When it does set the hook.Paying close attention to your line will improve your success.My motto is"when in doubt set the hook".At Pyramid set the hook on any thing and everything...heavy feeling on line,line stops,movement in the line,so forth and so on.

See you on the water!

Jay

Digger38
10-09-2009, 07:50 AM
I will get the line from him this weekend and switch it out. Thanks again for everyone's help. I am looking forward to fishing Pyramid quite a bit. I will keep you posted on what happens next.

Digger38
10-16-2009, 02:13 PM
I got that sinking line from my friend and decided to fish Pyramid today, this weekend Im going to the truckee to try my luck at swinging fly's with my brother in law. I spent about 2 1/2 hours fishing pyramid this morning and I was pretty happy with how things turned out. I have only fished pyramid a few times now and I have never had a fish to the net. Today I had 2 hookups and I actually got one to the net. I know it's hard to tell from the pic but I would guess this one was around 22-24". It's head was in the bottom of the net and it's tail was sticking out of the net 2-3"....It's hard taking a picture when your standing in the water with all your fly equipment alone. I don't have a ladder or anything like that I just walked out as far as I could and casted. I really appreciate all of your help with getting setup for pyramid.
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g118/dpsa98/FirstCutthroat10-16-09001.jpg

Bill Kiene semi-retired
10-17-2009, 09:25 AM
Congratulations.....

People normally fish Pyramid Lake out of Reno, Nevada for Cutthroat trout from November through April, in the cooler months.

We use to use a 30 feet of lead core shooting head and mono shooting line years ago.

Today some still use fast sinking lines to strip two Woolly Buggers but indicator nymphing on calmer days is getting very popular too.

Digger38
10-17-2009, 10:10 AM
Thank you Bill,

I had a lot of fun out there. Indicator nymphing for cutt's? I have only done nymphing on rivers and never on a lake. Is it the same type of nymphs and set up? Would you just cast the nymph out and leave it out till you get a hit or would I do a slow retreive of the line? Thanks again

Fochetti
10-17-2009, 11:10 PM
Midges, Chironomids, red copper John's. Sometimes any fly will work. Basically just the same rig as nymphing a river. You just let it sit, or every once in a while give the indicator a big tug to put a little movement on the fly. You can also slow strip them in under an indicator or just a floater.

Digger38
10-18-2009, 09:28 AM
I can hardly wait to give that a try at Pyramid. I have been nymphing in rivers for a while now and I have never tried it in lakes. It should be fun.

wineslob
10-20-2009, 10:51 AM
It's a fun technique to use at Butt Valley also.

lee s.
10-20-2009, 11:38 AM
Digger,
Most generally use two flies while bobber fishing there. Most also GENERALLY try to keep the bottom bug within 1' of the bottom of the lake.
There is a guy (Greg S.) who frequents the nets and is a Master at bobbering. A VERY easy smile and VERY helpful to beginners. His ladder will be the "cadillac" out there. White pickup. Tell him Lee said hi if you choose to look him up. ;-)
....lee s.

Digger38
10-20-2009, 06:22 PM
I will look for him when I am out there and I will tell him you said hello.